Kurzweil VIs?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kurzweil VIs?

Post by bayswater »

Has anyone come across an emulation or VI based on the K2000 or K2600? I still have a functioning K2000, and lots of usable patched, but using it with a current setup and no Unisyn feels like the Stone Age.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Re: Kurzweil VIs?

Post by stubbsonic »

As a long time K2000 then K2500 then K2661 user, I'd say probably the best/closest option is Kontakt-- assuming your main use was as a ROMpler/Sampler. If you were more into exploiting the VAST synthesis stuff, then you might look at Reaktor. Another versatile synth I've enjoyed is Synthmaster. Vital is a new synth that is still in early days-- so it's a bit more risky.

Believe me, I get why this is not a very satisfying answer. Using Kontakt has always felt like doing things the hard way.

I recently got a second hand PC3K7 (with Kore64 installed) to use as my main studio controller. It has a comprehensive set of built-in sounds, and is much easier for finding a fast sound than any VI's I have. But of course, that depends on what you are needing.

I'd love to see a software version of a K2xxx, but obviously Kurzweil would not want to undercut their own hardware sales.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It hadn't occurred to me that they were still using VAST. I just assumed it went the way of others like the M1. Maybe it makes sense they would not licence it yet.

I have Kontakt and Falcon and a load of Arturia emulations. But I got pretty fluent with VAST and hoped I could drag it into the the New Age, but alas, it cannot be.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The K2xxx series has a few strengths that cause me to hang on to my older units. The flexibility with keymaps, excellent modulation options, and the ARRANGE mode in the sequencer are the biggies. KDFX has lovely reverbs, IMHO.

It makes sense that they would build on their VAST concept-- even into current models.

There are still a few lingering weaknesses. There is still a fair amount of aliasing noise with oscillators at high pitches, and the modulation scan rates (particularly envelopes) probably isn't what it should be. Those issues don't affect me very much with the stuff I do. There isn't another workstation I'd rather use. This is partly because I'm familiar with the layout, but also, the sounds are very playable.

Probably something similar to VAST would be some "semi-modular" (?) synth. If it is synth sounds you are after, there are quite a few interesting and great sounding options. But if you are after destroying samples, yea, probably Kontakt is the best bet.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What "I'm after" is the VAST operating and editing system. I'm used to getting the sounds I want from it, and I have loads of KRZ files I want to go back to. Some time ago, when it was available I used that resampling app that Apple put into Logic and made MachFive presets from most the sounds I used a lot, and they work OK, but when it comes editing variations on them, I'm pretty much lost.

I still have the K2000R so I could always get a stripped down version MIDI Quest.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, if your K2000R will do what you need in terms of polyphony, then that seems pretty reasonable. Use it for as long as it lasts. As I understand it you will first lose either the display or the large capacitors, both of which can be repaired.