Lushest Orchestral String Instrument?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Lushest Orchestral String Instrument?

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I'm looking for the lushest-sounding orchestral string instrument to "sweeten up" some piano ballads I've written with authentic-sounding string counter-melodies. Just to be clear: I'm not looking for "dramatic" strings for suspenseful-sounding movie scores. I'm looking for sweet and beautiful strings like Bing, Sinatra, or Streisand would use on a ballad. I currently have Garritan's Instant Orchestra, but want to take a "step up". Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!

Doug
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Lushest Orchestral String Instrument?

Post by mikehalloran »

What’s your budget?

If under $500, buy IK’s Total Studio 2 for $249 through tomorrow (upgrade pricing is less if you own certain IK products). You get Miroslav Philharmonik 2 ($499) plus a couple hundred gigs of other VIs. You can click through the banner to Sweetwater. It uses SampleTank 3 but you can upgrade to SampleTank 4 for free by downloading the CS version. Unlike Kontakt, the free version and the paid versions use the same engine—the difference is the number of libraries you get.

NI Symphony Series is on sale $499 / Symphony String Ensemble only — $249 through tomorrow or as part of Komplete Ultimate Collector’s Edition for $1,599 (not on sale). If you have any paid versions of Kontakt or Komplete, upgrade pricing is available. Again, you can get Symphony Series from Sweetwater. I think String Ensemble is available from NI only.

There are a number of other libraries out there, of course. These are just a couple of the hot deals out there that I know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

I have NI SS strings. It's very good, but CineSamples (50% off currently) remains the preferred string library among what I own. Junkie XL's YouTube tutorials that use Cinematic Strings (25% off currently) are breathtaking. The word "lush" would be exactly how I'd describe them. I'm seriously considering picking that up.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

If you don't mind spending time with articulation mapping, you could consider VSL's newer Synchron Strings offerings ("Pro" is the latest in the series) or even some of the derived subsets and alternatives that are in their Big Bang series and that require less work but have fewer articulations. Very sweet and lush sounding, but also quite articulate.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH