M1 Mac Mini

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: M1 Mac Mini

Post by cuttime »

DPdan: I take it your mini has Big Sur installed? If so, your positive results are even more surprising.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dix

Post by dix »

cuttime wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm DPdan: I take it your mini has Big Sur installed? If so, your positive results are even more surprising.
Catalina is Intel only, so a (unsupported) surprise indeed!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dpdan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:12 pm Anyway, I knew that this Mac Mini M1 has it's growing pains and I was prepared for DP to not even install but to my surprise it did and it opened and it works great as far as I am concerned. Melodyne runs, Altiverb runs, Trilian runs, Omnisphere runs, Garritan's Yamaha CFX Grand runs and Kensington released a new update for the trackball that I use.... KensingtonWorks 2.2.6 all good so far :)
That's fantastic news! I'm having a really hard time holding out for the rumored 16" Macbook Pros, and it's great to know that DP runs just fine in Rosetta. One cool thing about it is you'll be used to a certain CPU limit, which will go away when all your apps are ported to Apple Silicon. Nice little bonus.

I'm hoping for a March announcement, but rumor sites are steadfast that it's going to be June or September.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Paratripl

Post by Paratripl »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 pm
dpdan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:12 pm I'm hoping for a March announcement, but rumor sites are steadfast that it's going to be June or September.
Yes lets hope Apple does once deliver early rather than late.
Actually I’ve tried coming to terms with that I’ll have to try to stay on my old Mac (MBP 15” from 2015) for at least 6 months because Apple has has me waiting the extra few months so many times but maybe it’s different this time since it’s their own chips. I won’t care if the delivery times slip towards a month or such because of low stock if Apple just delivers what we want and are not raising prices and hopefully even lowers them a bit, I mean if the touchbar goes as rumors suggests.
I’m afraid Mars will be for iPads but maybe we’ll have some luck and have a more powerful Mac released as well l, even if it isn’t the 16” I’ll probably go for it if has a few more ports, base 16 GB RAM and are just slightly more powerful.

Edit: of and of course if MOTU has announced 828es compatibility.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Paratripl wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:30 am even if it isn’t the 16” I’ll probably go for it if has a few more ports, base 16 GB RAM and are just slightly more powerful.

Edit: of and of course if MOTU has announced 828es compatibility.

Mostly I'm holding out for 8 performance core models.
I've had the same RME Fireface 800 forever and RME already released Apple Silicon compatible drivers. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

I had to do a clean install and just finished installing all of the software that I use.

There were four applications that I didn't install: SMARTreporter, Malwarebytes, Sophos and Little Snitch. I felt like one of the last three of those might have caused my problem of not being to access my optical drives. Are there any opinions that I should continue with any of those four programs, or, that I definitely shouldn't?

I am using the on internal drive on the mini and eight external drives. I had to change my Time Machine drive and my clone of the original migrated OS drive to APFS. Is there an advantage to turning the other six drives to APFS, or, just leave them as Extended?
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB