Suggestions for a good auto-filter plugin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Suggestions for a good auto-filter plugin

Post by Prime Mover »

From time-to-time, I use auto-filter plugins to make moving sound effects. MOTU's Multi-mode filter is a start, but I would like something with a little more control over filter shape and timbre. I've been trying a number of freebies out there, but they tend to be a little wonky. Any recommendations?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bleach30

Re: Suggestions for a good auto-filter plugin

Post by bleach30 »

Ive had great results with ShaperBox 2 from Cable Guys. Its not "auto" but it comes with some preset curves and its easy enough to draw in your own curves and has lots of sync options. Volume, Filter, Pan ,Width, and Crusher...I think...anyway all of those are independent from each other.

Arturia MIni Filter is good to
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

bleach30 wrote:Ive had great results with ShaperBox 2 from Cable Guys. Its not "auto" but it comes with some preset curves and its easy enough to draw in your own curves and has lots of sync options. Volume, Filter, Pan ,Width, and Crusher...I think...anyway all of those are independent from each other.
By auto I mean an LFO, which this has! (not a volume follower). This looks very overkill for my needs, but for $100, I think we could swing it. Thanks!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Soundtoys Filterfreak
PSP Stompfilter
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce