Waves 12?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves 12?

Post by bayswater »

I noticed that Waves has gone to version 12. I stopped at V9 because their upgrades didn't seem to add anything of interest, and stopped WUPS when I noticed it was often cheaper to just buy new versions. Prices on their site make it look like a firesale -- Platinum costs a third of what I paid for Renaissance.

V12 was trashed pretty good at GS -- the main upgrade appears to be sizeable GUIs, although it looks like a lot of them are just stretched images. But maybe someone here has something nice to say about this new version?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Re: Waves 12?

Post by HCMarkus »

Don't know 'bout Waves 12. I'm running plugs under versions 9, 10 and 11 without issue.

I do know I paid $999 for Waves Gold in about 2003. I saw it on sale for $99 last year.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:V12 was trashed pretty good at GS -- the main upgrade appears to be sizeable GUIs, although it looks like a lot of them are just stretched images.
That about sums it up IIRC, Stoivo.

Oh, and the preset lists within plugins apparently respond more-snappily now. They've obviously switched to a text-based database of some sort (or something?). My guess is that the preset lists are being represented via something that leaves a smaller footprint, hence the shorter seeking and loading times. In my simple world that's the obvious explanation.

This is basic housekeeping that IMHO doesn't justify a move only a year after the v11 upgrade to v12. Any excuse, it would seem, making it appear like a blatant money grab upon cursory examination.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Everything gets trashed pretty good at GS.

Still, I'm only on Waves 10. Maybe I should re-up my WUP.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:Everything gets trashed pretty good at GS.

Still, I'm only on Waves 10. Maybe I should re-up my WUP.
I'm still running some Waves 9 stuff without issue.

If you are thinking about taking a WUPping, I'd suggest wait until Waves is having a sale and do an upgrade... you'll get some new plugs and, I believe, re-up your WUP on everything the upgrade includes, often for less than Waves wants to be paid for the pleasure of WUPping you on your existing plugs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Yeah, the V12 is O.K.
Very disappointing that the resizable interfaces lose resolution when stretched.
Good news is that everything still works.
I wouldn't jump on this one. :?
All is well
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Something new in v12 is a Waves server running in the background when you load any plug (at least on Windows, can't run on my Mac because of video requirement). Maybe this is a server for their new preset feature - some type of database thing? Also the number of Waveshells used is diminished. On v11 I had five or six, now down to one for the same plugs.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

There is lot of new stuff popping up these days. I would be careful not so much about Waves 12 but for the implications of what it means for macOS Big Sur. It would be safer to stay where you are for a few more weeks until the developers of your most-needed software send you a notice that the coast is clear.

But the current Waves update should be no problem. That said, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:Everything gets trashed pretty good at GS.
Haha! Truer words...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman

Post by labman »

Hey there peeps. Is Waves 12 safe yet, and size stretching fixed?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Word of warning: V12 is only compatible with Metal Graphics capable Macs. I learned the hard way.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
labman

Post by labman »

cuttime wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:30 pm Word of warning: V12 is only compatible with Metal Graphics capable Macs. I learned the hard way.
Thanks CT.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.