Mechanical DP?

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mechanical DP?

Post by Rick Cornish »

(Not mine… nor a DP showcase, but perhaps worthy of a look and listen, just the same.)

Perhaps this is old news to some of you, but I just came across this today. Pretty ingenious, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Re: Mechanical DP?

Post by HCMarkus »

That was fun! (and a pretty good workout for the performer). Thanks Rick! :D
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Full disclosure: On another thread, some friends of mine are questioning whether the sounds are actually coming from the mechanical contraption. I can see enough visual cues to believe the images aren’t computer-generated, but I’m beginning to suspect that the audio was dubbed. (Perhaps from DP? he-he) The timing, tonalities, and sound balance are all a little too perfect, and the lack of background noise or mechanical sound artifacts is making me skeptical. (Oh, and where are the mics?)

Sorry if I inadvertently posted an interesting music video that’s an “Animusic” exercise and not what it pretends to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote:Full disclosure: On another thread, some friends of mine are questioning whether the sounds are actually coming from the mechanical contraption. I can see enough visual cues to believe the images aren’t computer-generated, but I’m beginning to suspect that the audio was dubbed. (Perhaps from DP? he-he) The timing, tonalities, and sound balance are all a little too perfect, and the lack of background noise or mechanical sound artifacts is making me skeptical. (Oh, and where are the mics?)

Sorry if I inadvertently posted an interesting music video that’s an “Animusic” exercise and not what it pretends to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Towards the end , the video shows some additional audio I/O connected to cables... contact mics? That would explain a lot, and I I wouldn't be surprised if they provide the majority of the sound we hear in the video.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

I believe he's using MIDI pads to trigger drum samples (except the crash). The other stuff is real.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1