Flummoxed - Frozen VST GUIs (again)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Flummoxed - Frozen VST GUIs (again)

Post by pencilina »

I'm back to being brutalized and time sucked by DP on windows. I let windows update itself and lo and behold my Waves AND PSP plugin GUIs are now frozen while passing audio as they were a couple months ago. The previous fix was to assign the intel CPU (low power) in graphics options and run waves repair as in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67642&start=15

but now neither of these moves fix the problem. Updating windows (disabling windows update blocker) also completely wiped the integrated graphics driver and I had to reinstall it (and set the bios to enable it!). I even tried running DP with my monitor hooked up to the internal graphics port and still no dice. I'm at a complete loss once again. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (Booting back to OSX to keep working.)
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Flummoxed - Frozen VST GUIs (again)

Post by CharlzS »

Something they've added recently is an option for GPU scheduling. It's in the Graphics Settings options (Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings) if available for your video, maybe try changing that.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Thanks Charlzs but no dice. Apparently there was no setting for GPU scheduling in whatever version windows had updated to and I learned that setting is in vers 2004 (the next major update) so I updated to 2004 and still no GPU scheduling setting. Any other ideas?

I updated all intel graphics drivers.
set my primary graphics to internal.
Set display scaling to 100% Booted with internal graphics hooked up.
Ran SFC.
tried a different monitor resolution

Still no success.

(dp 10.13 and 10.11 exhibit the same behavior.)

Charlzs, When you suggested switching GPU to low power (which in my case was the internal intel) the last time this happened everything worked properly instantly.

Also, this problem is definitely NOT waves specific as Vintage Warmer is displaying the same issue. And I checked, like Waves, PSP doesn't support DP on windows.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Are you updating the graphics drivers from the Intel and AMD or Nvidia sites? If so, some things to try: Start in safe mode, start Device Manager and show hidden devices, uninstall display adapters and check box to delete device drivers in dialog. On restart, Windows should find and install what it thinks are the best drivers for those devices. Or/and disable the AMD or Nvidia display adapter in the Device Manager (right-click Disable). I'm not familiar with hackintosh, but is the additional display card flashed for Mac? OTT, the only other place I can think to look is maybe some conflict with the firewire card - change slots, check drivers, system sound settings, etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Old issue and not GPU related as far as I can tell. Had that issue on my Mac back in 2010 with DP 7 — big time.

Opening the GUIs, making the adjustments and then closing the windows again was the only fix I ever found.

Later versions of the plugs, VIs and players were more CPU efficient. DP went to 64 bit as did the MacOS. Between that, replacing the HDD with an SSD and adding RAM, it stopped being an issue a few years ago. I didn't replace that 2010 iMac till 2019. Now that I have a much faster/beefier iMac Pro, I still close GUIs after they no longer need to be open — old habits and all…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Charlzs,

I pulled my radeon card, started in safe mode, uninstalled devices and all display SW. Restarted. Same problem. Any other ideas before I revert to an old system and probably loose another 1/2 day of studio time.

Mike, Thanks. I never had any GUI issues like this before in 2+ decades of using DP on a mac and again this was resolved perfectly a couple months with a display setting change. A big clue might be that both of these developers don't support DP on windows. On other DAW forums it would seem this is an open GL issue that was resolved by DAW developers. My particular system runs circles around all but the most high end of new mac pros, and all works well when I run DP in Mojave on it so I think its probably an issue with the way DP handles VST plugin code on windows.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

In the Display settings under advanced scaling settings, try changing the fix scaling setting. A long shot for sure, but I'm pretty much tapped out.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Charlzs,

Tried it.

And reinstalled radeon card, drivers, tried different res., vst 3, Called Motu tech support. I'm done for now. Its hackintosh on my mojave drive until the cows and sheep come home into an apple owned disney world with apple brain implants and then I'm not sure what I'll do.

But thanks.

unless anyone has something else I should try.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Waves just went to V12. I haven't installed anything yet, but maybe new version fixes your issues - bleeding edge.

OK - uninstalled V11 and installed V12 and everything working as expected. I'm down to one Waveshell in V12 vs 5/6 in V11 for all the same plugs - major improvement there. One caveat on install was after initial scan, I had to repair and then reexamine the plugs to get them to show up. Initial install - only Waveshell shows up in plugin prefs (no individual plugs). Repair - they all showed up in plugin prefs as unexamined. Selected all in plugin prefs to reexamine then good to go.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi Charlzs, The thought crossed my mind BUT my PSP plugins are doing it as well. There has to be some driver conflict or setting that will resolve this since my plugins were working perfectly before. Also trying to get the next batch of waves plugins might take a day to scan and repair and scan and repair and scan and repair only to find out they have the same problem. I'm exhausted and have a viable way to work so I give up until a definitive answer arises. I had a very good conversation a MOTU tech support person who seemed truly interested in solving this so we'll see. In any case thanks again.
arsis

Post by arsis »

CharlzS wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 am Waves just went to V12. I haven't installed anything yet, but maybe new version fixes your issues - bleeding edge.

OK - uninstalled V11 and installed V12 and everything working as expected. I'm down to one Waveshell in V12 vs 5/6 in V11 for all the same plugs - major improvement there. One caveat on install was after initial scan, I had to repair and then reexamine the plugs to get them to show up. Initial install - only Waveshell shows up in plugin prefs (no individual plugs). Repair - they all showed up in plugin prefs as unexamined. Selected all in plugin prefs to reexamine then good to go.
Just to confirm... V12 is running fine, on Windows? I see that your primary OS is Mac. I'm very leary about screwing around with my plug-ins. But I need the scalability cuz I got old eyes :shock:
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
Yes, I do everything using only my eyes. #ALSsucks
Even when I'm new school I'm old school.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

I haven't used the plugs extensively since V12, but what I have used appear fine. I have not resized any of the UIs so I do not know how well that's working. Consider creating a restore point prior to the upgrade and uninstalling V11 completely before installing V12. I only use VST2 plugs with DP because of validation issues with VST3, i.e. all Softube plugs fail, several Waves fail, and other. I wish they'd get together and work this out. There are similar issues with Waves VST on the Mac (install, repair, etc.) - Waves apparently only supports AU format in DP on the Mac. Anywho, I've been on Windows for a while now and forgot to change the OS in my profile.
arsis

Post by arsis »

Uhl... ( tugging at collar)
Nope. Can't take a chance in the middle of an album. :mumble:
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
Yes, I do everything using only my eyes. #ALSsucks
Even when I'm new school I'm old school.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi,

FYI, I eventually tried v12 a couple weeks ago and had the same GUI problem- authorization was fine. Also, FYI, the friendly MOTU tech who said he was interested in helping me find a solution never responded to my emails which were all very polite and clear.

Also, Charlzs, thanks again for all your troubleshooting help and if I seemed snappy or overly negative at any point, I’m sorry.

Best,

Bradford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk