Just me or is DP truly worse on Windows than OSX?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Just me or is DP truly worse on Windows than OSX?

Post by pencilina »

Obsestric wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 am I've pretty much given up using DP on windows for new projects, but I still have a lot of old DP projects to open up from time to time.

Yesterday I decided to run LatencyMon while using DP. Strangely the processor spikes I have been complaining about barely happen if I run DP and Latencymon at the same time. Really strange to me. Anyone have an idea what the correlation is?

Running LatencyMon makes DP more stable. As soon as I stop latencymon Dp starts behaving erratic again with processor spikes and random audio disruptions.

I've given up as well unless I'm really in a bind and need to run it on my laptop like I did today which is why I'm writing. I wish MOTU would address some of these issues. I'll try latency mon. In case anyone is wondering here's what I experience using DP in doze:

Waves and PSP plugins are still broken (GUIs are frozen while passing audio). Motu and Waves tech support couldn't appear to care less.
Fonts still look like crap for the most part
If I close the main consolidated windows (Ie with popped out sequence and a mixer) I need to relaunch DP in order to open it
Window frames besides the consolidated windows wave no control options (minimize, maximize etc.) except close.

Hopefully this will steer someone away from similar aggravation.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:25 pm
If I close the main consolidated windows (Ie with popped out sequence and a mixer) I need to relaunch DP in order to open it
Window frames besides the consolidated windows wave no control options (minimize, maximize etc.) except close.

Hopefully this will steer someone away from similar aggravation.
I'm hard pressed to find any app that when you close its main window it doesn't consider it an exit. If you've made any changes you should be presented with the save dialog. Why not minimize? Your popped out windows remain. Also re lack of controls on other windows, double click the title bar to maximize or restore. Right-click the title bar to get all options.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Thanks once again Charlzs. Right clicking on the bars gave me the options I was looking for. Believe it or not when I closed the main consolidated window I could not re-open it nor were there any menu bars but the mixer and Sequence windows remained open. Ctrl+q allowed me to quit. This is not happening today. Unfortunately that's still the least of my issues using DP on doze. My waves and PSP plugins remain f*(&ked on both my windows systems (laptop and dual boot desktop). At least I can edit on my laptop.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

pencilina wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:59 am Believe it or not when I closed the main consolidated window I could not re-open it nor were there any menu bars but the mixer and Sequence windows remained open. Ctrl+q allowed me to quit. This is not happening today. Unfortunately that's still the least of my issues using DP on doze. My waves and PSP plugins remain f*(&ked on both my windows systems (laptop and dual boot desktop). At least I can edit on my laptop.
When the CW was closed, but the the other two windows were open, you may have had a dialog that was hidden somewhere that needed a response. That's happened to me a couple of times. The dialog window has no focus and doesn't appear in the task bar. That is a bug. Re the waves stuff - have you updated to V12 yet? I'm still having issues with validation and have pretty much moved to my Softube plugs (which BTW none pass VST3 validation). I have the same validation issues on the Mac, so not all PC/Windows faults. I wish they would all work their S out.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Ya. I tried waves V 12 a while back. No dice. I have too much money and time invested in Waves and DP. After decades of use If I had the same proficiency with any other tools I would have happily abandoned both at this point. IMHO both companies are equally unhelpful, unpleasant and seem to share the same culture of denial when it comes to support and problem solving. The problem is when I get in the thick of a project I need to move quickly and can't afford to switch or mess around. If you crack the waves davinci code one day please do share. I do seem to have annoying validaton issues with waves on mac as well but I can usually get it sorted. The main problem is GUI issues.
etl17

Post by etl17 »

Although I am also not a big fan of Waves, I have to admit that their plugins work flawlessly in every other DAW I tried except DP. Given how popular the Waves plugins are, I am truly surprised that DP hasn't solved the compatibility issues (at least on Windows) yet.
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

The problem isn't just with waves. PSP and Soundtoys exhibit similar GUI issues in win DP. It would be really nice (and surprising to me) if MOTU decided to focus some of their bug fixing efforts on this.
Ariatremblay

Post by Ariatremblay »

Thanks Michael. I know certain plugins cause more cpu spikes than others. I'm constantly finding work arounds, but I'm feeling like DP is just not meant for windows. Do you have experience on both OS and can confirm given the same hardware specs that DP performs equal or close to equal between osx and windows 10? Motu told me it should.

My personal experience is that I'm getting probably about half the peformance on Windows. The same desktop that was a Hackintosh with Mavericks on it was way better than windows 10 with all bpm counter of the same plugins. My wife's average spec 2017 I5 mackbook pro gives a more stable performance in DP than my new 2020 Dell XPS spec'd out laptop and my Windows desktop.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

My experience doesn't show a difference in performance, but running DP on Windows has many more bugs and crashes than Mac. I regularly use DP on my Windows desktop and my macbook laptop - I can expect at least 2 - 3 crashes per session on Windows, but have yet to experience a crash on my Mac.
badfun

Post by badfun »

I am experiencing the same; constant crashes in the middle of sessions, usually because I have switched tabs between mixer and sequence. Also, I have learned to 'close' a project first, before exiting, otherwise there is a crash.
Windows 10 Pro | DP 11 | Apollo X4 | Lenovo ThinkPad P-70, i7-6700 CPU @ 2.60GHZ Quad core, 32GB RAM
dtsmarin

Post by dtsmarin »

I get crashes maybe once a week with heavy everyday use but graphical performance is really slow when drawing continuous data once my projects get big with many VEP instances. My i9-9900K isn't certainly the problem. On my pathetic 2016 MacBook Pro the GUI is MUCH more fluid.
Others have said their GUI is slow on Macs too... go figure. Perhaps MOTU needs to start selling DP approved machines :lol: .
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

Has anyone tried 11.03 to see if these Waves issues are solved? There's something in the release notes about "GUIs of some third party VSTs frozen during playback". I don't have 11 myself to check.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

Very briefly, MOTU very kindly extended my trial period. With 11.03 CLA Mixdown, Kramer Tape are no longer frozen, and Melodyne 5 Studio updates in real time during playback. Looking good, but I'll test more.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.