PayPal - Upgrade MachFive 2 -> 3

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PayPal - Upgrade MachFive 2 -> 3

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And presumably Kontakt and PSP stuff opening in it as well? I thought I had read the MOTU libraries weren't entirely friendly to the bird...

NI have closed off Kontakt .nki to third party conversion. The big reason to keep M53 around for me is converting older NI sample formats and other third party formats. Kontakt 6 doesn't convert anything anymore. It's stupid, MainStage is $20 and AutoSampler means anyone can convert their hard and software to EXS sample files. There's a bug currently in Falcon when converting EXS files, hopefully that gets fixed.

Falcon 100% is compatible with M53 libraries, there's literally no difference. This makes sense, because Falcon is MachFive 5, it just went to live with its dad during its teenage years.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

monkey man wrote:Hopefully this'll be the final question:

Any recommendations as to which two libs to pick? Seems to me they're predominantly atmospheric / evolving textures and pads, and being an Omnisphere owner, they're probably the last things I need. :banghead:

Once this decision is made, it'll be full-steam-ahead, and just in the nick of time 'cause tomorrow's the deadline here in Oz. Thank you in advance, brothers!
String Machines 2, lovely library.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you, Michael. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Turns out String Machines isn't eligible 'cause it's not in the Falcon Expansions list I mentioned earlier. Bummer!

Still listening to all the demos...

Michael Canavan

monkey man wrote:Heads-up for those who don't know:

Only libraries under the "UVI Falcon Expansions" menu will not add to your purchase total. They're worth $39 each and you can select two of them, as per the advertised sale.

Bummer, 'cause I really wanted Beatbox Anthology 2 and World Suite 2. Had my eye on the former for ages and the latter since its recent release. The latter especially won't be affordable for me for a very-long time ($299).
Just to be clear here, the $100 voucher is a separate offer than the two expansions. All I got when I bought Falcon back in the day was the $100 voucher.

There's a guy over at KVR arguing that Falcon should drop the EXS import tech, pretty much the only import it does since UVI took back M53 from MOTU, it currently has an ADSR bug.. I never will understand people who hate functionality in a plug in or DAW they don't personally use?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Michael Canavan wrote: Just to be clear here, the $100 voucher is a separate offer than the two expansions. All I got when I bought Falcon back in the day was the $100 voucher.
Yeah, you responded to my specific question inviting recommendations for the 2 free libs included in the current sale, Michael, so I got all-excited.

The $100 voucher, which I'll apparently receive post-purchase, will have to go towards Beatbox Anthology 2 'cause I've had it in my sights since v1 dropped. Don't have a decent electronic-drum source and figured a while back that I'd be happy with it.
Michael Canavan wrote:There's a guy over at KVR arguing that Falcon should drop the EXS import tech, pretty much the only import it does since UVI took back M53 from MOTU, it currently has an ADSR bug.. I never will understand people who hate functionality in a plug in or DAW they don't personally use?
Bizarre. Can't get my head around why anyone would argue for less features for any software unless a separate dumbed-down version is being proposed.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, damn! That's another $179 I'll never see again... lol. And to UVI's great credit, I was a couple of days late to get onboard. I wrote to UVI and got the sale price, the $100 voucher, and the two expansions (which I've yet to decide on). Any suggestions?

So like MachFive, and that's a plus. I probably won't dig too deep immediately with pending projects needing my attention, but it looks like it's gonna be a fin ride. Thanks a lot, guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

We both caved at the same time, Magilla. :lol:

We've both resisted all these years, figuring MachFive took care of all our needs, so why do it?

My experience with support was superb, just like yours by the sound of it. Kudos to UVI; I'm impressed. Try and get that sort of generosity and responsiveness from NI. :banghead: :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... and the two expansions (which I've yet to decide on). Any suggestions?
I went with Eternal Funk and Spectre:

Eternal funk seemed to contain a bunch of handy, "typical" '80s funky-analogue-type sounds.

Spectre seemed to cover modern EDM in the most-melodic way (more-usable for chords and melodies) of the EDM offerings. Not typically what I'd expect from UVI, but that that gritty, edgy top-end "harshness" helps modern-EDM sounds cut through the mix, hence why I went for it.

Overall I found many of the Falcon "expansions" to sound samey - "non-melodic" pads / atmospheres and drones. If you have Omnisphere you've surely got all that stuff covered anyway. Personally I just don't go for that stuff; I like to hear "notes"! :lol:

HTH, bud. I spent way too long listening to all the friggin' demos. :wink:

MIDI Life Crisis

monkey man wrote:We both caved at the same time, Magilla. :lol: :
Caved? As in co-habitated in the same cave?! :shock: I'm sorry, but I don't remember that episode of my life, but it explains the hemorrhoids. Wait, what?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

FWIW, I snagged Cinematic Shades and Atmospherics, as they will come in handy in more than a few projects.

Now what to buy with my $100 voucher?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got the Vokim and Analog Dreams expansions. They kind of struck me as ones I may use — or not.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:I got the Vokim and Analog Dreams expansions. They kind of struck me as ones I may use — or not.
Exactly. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
secondwindow
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by secondwindow »

[quote="secondwindow"]Hello

I'm a registered owner of MachFive 2 and plan to upgrade to version 3 soon.

I need to find a U.S. source for the MachFive Upgrade from 2 to 3 that accepts PayPal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric[/quote]

I contacted MOTU tech support. They were able to answer my question.
MIDI Life Crisis

Sweetwater? Should be a link at the top of this page.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Those of us who pounced on the recent Falcon 2 upgrade or crossgrade have a $100 voucher in our accounts (unless we've already spent it, of course). These vouchers have a 45 day shelf life—for me, Dec. 15.

With the Black Friday sale ending soon, I decided to buy UVI's Drum Designer for $4 after the voucher.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro