MOVIE PLAYBACK LAG

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
markoftheunicron
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOVIE PLAYBACK LAG

Post by markoftheunicron »

Hey all.

I imported a movie on DP but it lags during playback. I currently had one VST loaded up. The video will freeze on a frame while the original movie audio continues. Eventually, I get an error window saying the processor was overloaded.

DP settings:

Internal
48kHz 512
24 Bit Integer
30 fps nd

My processor:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.50 GHz

RAM:

8.00gb
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOVIE PLAYBACK LAG

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I’m not on windows but my first step would be to reexport the movie in some other app and try that movie. Also, movie file size can be a factor so if it’s a higher resolution image, I’d shrink it down.

Also, make sure unnecessary windows are closed even if they’re behind other windows. If using VIs, there’d be a whole other set of recommendations for reducing the CPU hit.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
markoftheunicron

Tried shrinking it down, same issue though.
MIDI Life Crisis

Have you tried the movie on a different drive? Could it be an access time on the drive you’re using?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
markoftheunicron

Thanks for consistently being in the thread and trying to help, MIDI Life Crisis.

No, it is on the same drive.

I checked the details of the movie file and noticed the frame rate was 23.98, but the closest I could get DP's framerate was 23.976. Helped somewhat?? That tweak allowed the playback to pass the spot it usually lagged at, but it only bought me a few seconds as it started lagging further down the timeline.

After a break, I plugged in my MOTU M$ audio interface and I could play the movie in full with zero lag, several times even at 30fps.

I started noticing some lag again, however. This is when my USB hub suffered a power surge as I have a USB keyboard, external hard drive (VST stuff), and a wireless mouse connected to it. I found a power cable for the hub and will reset it. I am going to see if the USB hub turning off was the cause of the lag as the MOTU M4 audio interface was connected to it at the time.
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually, I was suggesting that you try moving the movie to a different drive. Aka I, try the movie in a new, clean project.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MOTU TechNote time... ?
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi, I think If you do a search you'll notice this is a known bug which has existed for months. I have had similar problems with no fix.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67733&hilit=movie+out+of+sync
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
whittymusic

Post by whittymusic »

this problem persists even now. To fix: use hand brake and export the file as an mp4 with H.264 (x264) constant quality 22, Peak Framerate, audio aac 160bit stereo, filters off except Deinterlace Decomb and 1920 or less resolution. This will give you a snappy and proper start.

There is definately a problem with dp 10 on windows with this. But this workaround works 100% of the time for me.
tonestar

Post by tonestar »

Hey all,

I’ve also had many problems with the movie window. For me, if the movie is loaded and I open QS window, I have to wait for the beachball of hell to finish processing after every new entry. Sometimes up to 10-15 secs per entry or drag and drop.

Once I clear the movie… all is great! I import the movie, it’s a sluggish mess!! I contacted Motu a few times and they claim they have never had any issues with QS nor the movie window .

Please help…