Recording from Internet

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Recording from Internet

Post by westla »

So I have a weird question.

I have a student who is performing in an online recital (since we can't do anything in person) and is using a piano accompaniment that is online. The problem is that it is a baroque sonata, so it is a large AB work, where that A and B sections do a literal repeat - so a nice 4 minute work, turns into a 8 minute piece. Also, no one ever takes the repeats.

The problem is the online accompaniment follows the repeats, and there is no way to tell it to skip the repeats.

So I was going to take the audio into DP, and splice out the repeats - but how?

Would it be best to get a 3.5" headphone to balances 1/4", and route the computer audio out of the computer, then back into my audio interface? Is there something obvious I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.
rickorick
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Recording from Internet

Post by rickorick »

Can you just download it from the Internet and splice out the sections you need to splice out and then upload it back up?
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There are many paths to choose from. QuickTime will let you make a new audio recording. There are commercial and freeware apps that do this very easily as well. I’d stay away from a wired approach if possible. Digital to digital is going to be much cleaner.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

You can capture the audio in Chrome (Mac or Win) or Edge Chromium (Win10) with the Chrome Audio Capture extension and then trim things up in DP or whatever.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bgligoelgp
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I use ClipGrab to get YT videos down. I use Fission to convert, but you can use any audio editor to convert. I use DP or DSPQuattro to edit.

As an aside, I use Audio Hijack (as an alternative to ClipGrab) and just record the output of my browser.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Whole bunches of ways.

The key to all is that the accompaniment is played from an audio file that you've prepared in advance, not the app.

As for DP, certainly but make sure have your audio set to 48 kHz sampling as many online AV apps, especially Zoom, cannot handle anything else. Interestingly, if I play the audio from iTunes/Apple Music through Share Screen/Audio Only, the sampling rate etc. doesn't matter at all.
http://musictechexplained.com/?fbclid=I ... n_SCbwHOVI

If you are doing all this for live streaming, the audio file must be played on the computer hosting the event or the latency devil will bite you big time. Not an issue if pre-recording as you can sync audio and video after the fact, as I do 3–6 times a week.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

Thanks all. The Google Audio Capture did the trick.