How do I make a unique copy of a soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

If I copy and paste a soundbite, it's given the same name as the original. What I want is to have an exact copy, but with a different name. Duplicating automatically pastes the same soundbite end at end of its source, so that doesn't work either.

I could of course copy a part of it, paste it in another track and then open it up to the end by dragging. Is that the only way?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I make a unique copy of a soundbite?

Post by mikehalloran »

Sound bites are not audio files — they’re pointers to audio files. You must alter the copy in some way or anything you do to one pointer affects the other as you’ve found out. Many ways to do that such as copy a middle section, paste and edge edit the ends. There’s option-copy (Mac) which does what you want as well—there’s a similar command for Windows.

You can always duplicate the original audio file and drag that into your project. You will have what appears to be an identical sound bite but it points to a different file.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

In the Soundbite window you can right-click a soundbite and 'new sound file from selected'. Names are assigned, but you can then change the soundbite name and file name by alt-clicking each entry. It would be nice if there was a dialog presented to do this all at once.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Isn’t there a manual? Asking for a member.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's relevant to be aware of "Edge Edit Copy" which is in the Sequence Editor mini-menu.

When checked, if you have multiple copies of the same soundbite in the track, right after you edge edit a particular region, it will become a new soundbite with a new number appended to the name, and the others remain unchanged.

When unchecked, if you edit the edge it will change all copies of that same soundbite in all locations.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Isn’t there a manual? Asking for a member.
:rtfmmad:

then

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:
:rtfmmad:
True enough. I guess the thing that tends to irk me is this: where do these guys think we find the answers to their questions? Sure, if it's something obscure it can be hard or even impossible to find in the manual. But basic operations are all there, and then some.

All I'm saying (and I'm just sayin... lol) is take a look at the damn PDF manual BEFORE asking questions. Also, I'm in a rental. Do whatever the funk you want to on their front lawn.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

:lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

What have happened with you all that always have been so helpful?

The only person I've been worried about in this case is the one who has had a MIDI Life Crisis for as long as I can remember.

Yes, it can be found in the manual, but sometimes I'm so tired that the best first option is to post a subject here since - as someone pointed out - it's not always that easy to find in the manual.

Thanks for all the serious tips anyway. I will read them later, cause at the moment I don't feel like being here at all.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tomas E wrote:What have happened with you all that always have been so helpful?

The only person I've been worried about in this case is the one who has had a MIDI Life Crisis for as long as I can remember.

Yes, it can be found in the manual, but sometimes I'm so tired that the best first option is to post a subject here since - as someone pointed out - it's not always that easy to find in the manual.

Thanks for all the serious tips anyway. I will read them later, cause at the moment I don't feel like being here at all.
Hey Tomas... don't let it get to you.

While searching the manual is now relatively easy (since MOTU went .pdf with it) and is encouraged (I know I always learn more than I thought I would when I check the manual), note that you got several serious and helpful responses before things went sideways just a bit.

MLC may drop a bit of a bomb now and again, but he offers great info (and terrible puns) far more often. Please try to consider the RTFM comments as being offered along the lines of the good-natured B.S. friends give each other... like many such remarks, both humor and truth reside within. Laugh it off, while you take it to heart.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:
Tomas E wrote:What have happened with you all that always have been so helpful?

Hey Tomas... don't let it get to you.

While searching the manual is now relatively easy (since MOTU went .pdf with it) and is encouraged (I know I always learn more than I thought I would when I check the manual), note that you got several serious and helpful responses before things went sideways just a bit.

MLC may drop a bit of a bomb now and again, but he offers great info (and terrible puns) far more often. Please try to consider the RTFM comments as being offered along the lines of the good-natured B.S. friends give each other... like many such remarks, both humor and truth reside within. Laugh it off, while you take it to heart.
Good advice. I think this particular case is a rare enough situation that it would be near impossible to come up with search terms that pinpointed the part of the manual that mentions it. In fact everyones suggestions are pretty much workarounds.

Another suggestion, there are at least three Facebook pages for DP at this point. All of them are a lot more friendly towards these types of questions. MOTU Guru, Motu Digital Performer and MOTU Digital Performer How To Videos. Motu Digital Performer has the most members, but MOTU Guru is guys from the webinar series, i.e. dedicated DP folks.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote: Hey Tomas... don't let it get to you.

Remember how it was when we didn't have the PDF manual? The :arrrr: hunting? :lol:

IMHO, the nicest threads are the ones where not only does the question get answered, but where there is additional commentary and extra tidbits of information by members. One usually gets to learn unexpected bits of useful info like this.

Also, when one answers a question, it's good to keep in mind that the target is always larger than the OP... there are always lurkers and participants who end up benefiting from something they probably don't know they didn't even know about.

Case in point> Take your typical Mike Halloran post... always knowledgeable and full of these little gems of info. It's hard to keep up with all his OS/hardware writings.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh, boo hoo. Too tired to look it up? So you expect others to do it for you? No apologies offered here, except for the bad puns. Lol Sorry, no spoon feeding from me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Oh, boo hoo. Too tired to look it up? So you expect others to do it for you? No apologies offered here, except for the bad puns. Lol Sorry, no spoon feeding from me.
I'll spoon feed 'em. I don't mind.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him to fish, and you're out a fishing job.

(Ok, I don't get paid for this. But as someone who has at times struggled to find what I'm looking for in a manual's index or TOC, I sympathize with having to ask dumb questions. I've asked more than my share.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

And I’ve been accused of bad puns. Lol. I help a lot of people but only ones with problems other than laziness. 14 years teaching at a university leaves a mark.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS