Ensoniq Mirage

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ensoniq Mirage

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:From listening to these in the archive I think I remember the Fontain patch. It was looped and had filters, ADSR etc, and was one of the few Mirage patches that didn't suck IMO. An airy 10CCish thing.
Thanks for the info on patch structure. Do you recall a patch named Nomad? I'm assuming it was a default and used the Fontain samples.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote:
dix wrote:From listening to these in the archive I think I remember the Fontain patch. It was looped and had filters, ADSR etc, and was one of the few Mirage patches that didn't suck IMO. An airy 10CCish thing.
Thanks for the info on patch structure. Do you recall a patch named Nomad? I'm assuming it was a default and used the Fontain samples.
I don't recall. Sry. I have the 3 disks that, I think, came with the Mirage. Those patches just have basic names "Brass Section - Brass Falloff", "Acoustic Bass - Sax" etc. There were lots of additional disks made by Ensoniq and 3rd parties that I couldn't afford. ..."U" and "L" in the filenames of the archived patches indicate the Upper and Lower btw.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:
bayswater wrote:
I don't recall. Sry. I have the 3 disks that, I think, came with the Mirage. Those patches just have basic names "Brass Section - Brass Falloff", "Acoustic Bass - Sax" etc. There were lots of additional disks made by Ensoniq and 3rd parties that I couldn't afford. ..."U" and "L" in the filenames of the archived patches indicate the Upper and Lower btw.
OK thanks, thanks for the info. I'll try a bunch of these out on a rainy day.
mothra

Post by mothra »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:

And ... I don't know if these sample are still under copyright. If you know, please let me know.
Don't know about the Mirage (I had one as well) but I wouldn't worry about the copyright on that. Ensoniq is out of business, so who's gonna sue ya? Besides, while instrument samples may be technically copyright, if you can alter them sufficiently to obfuscate the waveform, there'd be no way to track it. And who is actually policing that?
Ensoniq's name is gone but they were bought by Creative and folded into EMU, which they still own and sell crappy headphones under nowadays hah. Ensoniq and EMU tech went into the Sound Blaster line to die. I doubt Creative cares or would even notice, I dont think they had any clue about that whole side of things. They just wanted the chips..
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I dare them to sue someone using their samples. I double dog dare them!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I dare them to sue someone using their samples. I double dog dare them!
Let’s hope they don’t triple dog dare us to use them.
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Man, I remember my Mirage. Thing took a beating. I got the EPS 16+ a couple years after it came out too. Wrote albums on that thing.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

Thank you so much for the samples! The first studio I worked at had a Mirage.... Wow!

Now I'm wondering about all the Emulator 2 floppies I still have in storage somewhere :wink:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Someone has already taken care of it, in Kontakt format; I do not know if these are the same sounds.

https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/sahara

https://puremagnetik.com/products/refraktor

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech ... ana-160356
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

corbo-billy wrote:Someone has already taken care of it, in Kontakt format; I do not know if these are the same sounds.

https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/sahara
Sahara, 7Gb? The samples are only 24Mb.
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

dix wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:56 pmAmazingly, I do still have a Mirage, but haven't booted it up in 10 years or so.
I had to double-check the author of ^^^that post to make sure it wasn't me!

Same deal, my Mirage has been sitting in a closet in my studio for ~7 years since I moved to a new location. And tbh it didn't get a whole lotta use before that, when it was all set up, plugged in, ready to go as part of my whole MIDI rig.

But I can't bring myself to get rid of it...in part because it wouldn't be worth the effort to sell it for the miniscule return I'd get, but also because I fondly remember that wonderful contrast available just by blending the Mirage's 8-bit samples with similar sounds from my more "hi-fi" synths & ROMplers. Especially for brass writing; a nice fat horn stab with some full-fidelity Emu trumpets/trombones/saxes takes on a wonderful character when you double one or two of the inner voices with those gnarly, crunchy Mirage horns.
Bobbyd

Post by Bobbyd »

The Mirage was my first synth. I remember reading the manual and learning a little about samples, parameters, hexidecimal etc. Oh yeah, and it had a built in "sequencer"! I still have a few the floppy disks somewhere.
iMac 27" 3.6 i9 2019 OS 10.14.4 40Gb RAM, DP 10.13 & 11.11
Mac Mini M1 2020, OS 12.4, 8GB RAM - DP 11.11 - Komplete Kontrol A49
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I still have my Ensoniq EPS16+ rack mount and a SCSI hard drive it boots from. One day I imagine the SCSI drive will die and I’ll have to load sounds from floppies if I keep it. Great piece and I still can’t find anything that sounds like the “Miami Brass” instrument.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!