Ensoniq Mirage

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ensoniq Mirage

Post by bayswater »

Anyone have one of these laying around?

I was in an 80 band that had one, and it had a patch called Nomad, or maybe Nomad Horns that was pretty useful. I found an archive of all the Mirage factory samples converted to WAV format, but don't know which sample or samples are used in this patch. Sounds like it could be two samples called Fontain.

If you have one of these or know about them, do you know of a source that would have the info required to reconstruct the patch?

And ... I don't know if these sample are still under copyright. If you know, please let me know.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Ensoniq Mirage

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:

And ... I don't know if these sample are still under copyright. If you know, please let me know.
Don't know about the Mirage (I had one as well) but I wouldn't worry about the copyright on that. Ensoniq is out of business, so who's gonna sue ya? Besides, while instrument samples may be technically copyright, if you can alter them sufficiently to obfuscate the waveform, there'd be no way to track it. And who is actually policing that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks.

If anyone wants these the zip file is not that big. I can post it for download. I always thought the sounds on this synth were interesting.
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:Thanks.

If anyone wants these the zip file is not that big. I can post it for download. I always thought the sounds on this synth were interesting.
I'm interested! If you want to email it that's cool as well. mm@MIDILifeCrisis.com
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've put it here so others can get it too if they want to.

http://www.heavyethics.com/DPAV/%5Bwav% ... ibrary.zip
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Note these were all originally 8 bit samples. They sound pretty good with that limitation.
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:I've put it here so others can get it too if they want to.

http://www.heavyethics.com/DPAV/%5Bwav% ... ibrary.zip
Thanks, man. I'm on it. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A buddy and I created an epic instrumental built around the sample "This is a blank formatted diskette".

Loved the Mirage; the affordable sampler.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:A buddy and I created an epic instrumental built around the sample "This is a blank formatted diskette".

Loved the Mirage; the affordable sampler.
It's in the download I posted. I'd forgotten about it. The thing was great as long as you could speak in hexagonal.

Do you remember "Nomad"?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

My first sampler, me and the keyboard player in our band together saved for three months to get it.
Hated programming it, loved the sounds. Thanks for the download, curious to see if any of the samples are ones we used back in the day.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Ah nostalgia...
Mirage was a poor man's Synclavier.
So great!

We've come so far.
I couldn't have imagined the power we have now.

But we still complain :lol:
All is well
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:Note these were all originally 8 bit samples.
Make sure you print them in DP at 32 bitsFP 192 KHz. You don't want to miss any of that magic goodness :mrgreen:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Make sure you print them in DP at 32 bitsFP 192 KHz. You don't want to miss any of that magic goodness :mrgreen:
To dither, or not to dither ... (am I dithering?)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:
bayswater wrote:Note these were all originally 8 bit samples.
Make sure you print them in DP at 32 bitsFP 192 KHz. You don't want to miss any of that magic goodness :mrgreen:
:lol:
dix

Post by dix »

Amazingly, I do still have a Mirage, but haven't booted it up in 10 years or so. Downloading this entire Mirage library took a tiny fraction of the time it took to load a single sound into that old box.

As I recall you could only load two sounds at a time. One for the Upper and one for the Lower. If you're thinking the patch you remember was two samples layered, I don't think that was possible without resampling. From listening to these in the archive I think I remember the Fontain patch. It was looped and had filters, ADSR etc, and was one of the few Mirage patches that didn't suck IMO. An airy 10CCish thing.

I do not have fond memories of this sampler, however. I think I was looking for Trevor Horn, Art of Noise glory, but what I got was a Mirage.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com