Stop whining in your live streams (iRig Stream)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stop whining in your live streams (iRig Stream)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No, not your whining about life, but the high pitched whine that comes when you hook your audio signal into your iRig Stream, or other streaming devices. Since the thing arrived, whenever I plug a cable into the iRig Stream I'd get a high pitched whine. Even just touching the connector to any metal part of the mixer or other stuff would cause it. Ground issue? In a sense.

I finally figured it out today. The way to eliminate that is to only use a balanced signal, preferably an XLR. In my case, I took the main outs go my mixer and used an XLR to RCA cable I made about 25 years ago. Works great.

This is a no-brainer but it took me a bit longer to figure out since the iRig Stream only has two RCA inputs. So I just assumed an unbalanced signal should be fine. And if I go directly from the iPad, it is. But for critical Zoom and streaming stuff, I use my Mac Pro and the whining begins.

I hope this helps you cats who may have (or will have) similar issues in the future. I gotta get ready for my third live stream event in as many days - and with that, I'll stop whining.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Re: Stop whining in your live streams (iRig Stream)

Post by HCMarkus »

Take a look at how you wired that adaptor and let us know MLC. There are a number of ways to approach XLR to RCA. Which one did you use?
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Stop whining in your live streams (iRig Stream)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HCMarkus wrote:Take a look at how you wired that adaptor and let us know MLC. There are a number of ways to approach XLR to RCA. Which one did you use?
I dare not open it up! lol But I can check out the Dat machine specs (Panasonic 3700, I think. Still have it). I think the directions were in the manual.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS