Controlling a Yamaha DM1000 from a DP Console using Sysex

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bivouacrecording
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Controlling a Yamaha DM1000 from a DP Console using Sysex

Post by bivouacrecording »

Hi!

I want to control my DM1000 from a DP console or in general how to use sysex to control a fader from a DP console or from another MIDI controller. This SOS article has greatly inspired me to see if this is possible: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... r-projects

I want to know if anyone has been successful in doing this and if so to please explain their sysex message to control a fader on a remote layer (not using general DAW/ HUI control modes) from a custom console in DP.

In any case, I have been trying to decipher the Parameter control sysex from the Yamaha manual and just need some questions answered.

Following the Parameter change basic format in Page 368 inn the V2 manual:

1)
The Sysex parts make sense until I get to 'Data type' and 'Element no. (if 'ee' is 0, 'ee' is expanded to two bytes.

What is a 'Data Type' and 'Element', and what numbers are appropriate here?

2)
Parameter No. and Channel number I assume I get from the MIDI/CTL Assign page in the menus or from page 344 in the v2 manual.

Also on page 344 I see a high, middle, and low in the column headers. What are the significance of these and do that have a numerical value that pertains to the sysex?

3)
The next part for data bytes what/ how many values do I put here?

If someone has any information about these values and even a sample sysex message that they used to control channel fader 1 please post it.

Thank you very much!