Tuning/Pitch - Problems - does anybody have? -

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

trendfriend
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tuning/Pitch - Problems - does anybody have? -

Post by trendfriend »

:?: :( I'll try to use the MSI since yesterday on a Win-PC with Cubase SX2. After some litte Problems (Installation-Path of the dll-file wrong in the installer and to get the trick not to use the reverb) I got running it. - As I tried to use it with other VSTi, I remarked, that the pitch of all prestes is wrong to the other VSZi.
The MSI sounds exact -1 semi -40 fine deeper as other VSTi. - So whenever I load a pMSI-presett I have to correct the Pitch of the MSI. - Is that right so? - Do I anything wrong? - Is there a more simple method to correct the pitch? Please help!
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

What sampleRate do you use ?
44.100hz ?

There is maybe a problem there...
trendfriend

Post by trendfriend »

hugy wrote:What sampleRate do you use ?
44.100hz ?

First I tried to use the 44.1 khz samplerate in Emu1820 und Cubase SX,
there was no result with Motu only distorsed crackling, simular as using the wrong samplerate. Let me say, that I never have had a problem with a VSTi-Instrument like this, usually all is running fine. - Ok, I thought, the instsrument doesen't run on 44.1, let's have try on 48 kHz. And here it seems to run, but with the described detune -1 semi -40 fine.

In meantime I contacted the Motu support and the E-mu support. Both technial supports answered fast: E-mu says: No driver failure, and right, I have never had problems with any other VSTi. Motu believed, my buffer adjustments would be wrong, of course I had testet this before with different latency adjustments. Now I am waiting for the 2nd answer. - Finally I tried the asio4all, and look, it runs very well on 44.1. and on 48 kHz, correct tun ing. But this isn't a solution for me, because I want to produce surround. With the Asio4All I get only 1 stereo output on the two wave-channels (all other channels invidsible).

My configuration:

Windows XP SP2
AMD XP 3200+
2048 DDR SDRAM
BIOS: AMI 10/21/04
Chipset: Via VT8377 Apollo KT
Emulator X Studio with E-mu-1820 m
Cubase SX 2.2

It seems I am the only oine, who has such problems?

There is maybe a problem there...
bswylie

Tuning problems with MSI

Post by bswylie »

Hi

I've just got the MSI, and found the exact same problem when playing along with a 440Hz tuned guitar. Very peculiar and extremely irritating - could anyone suggest any solutions, please?

Brian
vic_france

Post by vic_france »

I have noticed this too (on Mac OS X 10.4.2) at 48k, with the VST plugin version, but AU and MAS versions seem to be fine.
Mac MDD dual 1GB/1.25GB RAM/160GB internal disc/MOTU PCI-424/2408 MK3/MTP AV
MAC OS X 10.3.8/ Digital Performer 4.52/Cubase SX 3.02
MAC OS 9.2.2/Digital Performer 3.11/ Cubase VST_32/5.2pb
bswylie

Post by bswylie »

Hmm, I find it very interesting that it is only in the VST version - hopefully a patch will sort this out. It's a bit reassuring to know this, even though in the short term it is a pain, because it means that each was probably then recorded at 440Hz, which would make sense, and that it's probably some issue with VST only, which can be sorted out.

If anyone else has this problem, please could you post here, and mention specifically what plugin format you are using. I have email MOTU tech support a while ago, but haven't received any reply yet - if anyone has heard from MOTU re this problem, please also post.

Thanks
Brian
bswylie

VST Working Verstions

Post by bswylie »

Now that I'm thinking about it, could a few people who DO have MSI working correctly as a VSTi please post a reply - especially if you have got it working on an AMD system and a Cubase sequencer.

My system is as follows:

VST host/sequencer: Cubase SX 3.1
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 1GB DDR
HD: 2 x 160GB SATA
MOTU 828mkII (@96kHz)

Once again, if anyone has any more suggestions as to a possible cure, or if this is a nicely rooted software bug, please let us know! I still haven't heard from MOTU support - even a one liner would be nice :?
Flim63

Post by Flim63 »

I am running in Cubase LE and the MSi Piano is correctly pitched but all other instruments are one semitone low.
MASTERMINDMUSICS

Re: VST Working Verstions

Post by MASTERMINDMUSICS »

bswylie wrote:Now that I'm thinking about it, could a few people who DO have MSI working correctly as a VSTi please post a reply - especially if you have got it working on an AMD system and a Cubase sequencer.

My system is as follows:

VST host/sequencer: Cubase SX 3.1
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 1GB DDR
HD: 2 x 160GB SATA
MOTU 828mkII (@96kHz)

Once again, if anyone has any more suggestions as to a possible cure, or if this is a nicely rooted software bug, please let us know! I still haven't heard from MOTU support - even a one liner would be nice :?
IAM RUNNING MSI ON CUBASE SX 2.2 AND MY COMPOSITION IS IN TUNE WITH MY YAMAHA PIANO, HOWEVER THE FEMALE SOLO SOUNDS BAD ON A#4 SO I SET IT TO 442HZ WHICH IS CONCERT PITCH IN EUROUPE, WHERE THE SAMPLE WAS RECORDED.
dnash

MSI tuning off at 48khz....

Post by dnash »

i am experiencing the same difficulty with MSI VST. works fine in 44.1 and pitched up at 48. there is no way (to my knowledge) to adjust the sample rate playback on the MSI player, so i agree with the post above that it sounds like a VSTi issue. i hope it gets worked out in an update. i record at 48 most of the time, so this is a real issue for me. just as a side note, this was perhaps the most difficult VSTi i have ever had to install..... everything from sound library placement, to bad iLoc drivers...... the sounds are great, but a LOT of kinks for the cash i payed. still love motu, but HELP US PLEASE.....
peace,
dnash.
http://www.dnash.com
macbook pro
2Gb ram
line 6 variax 700 tremolo, pod XTlive, tone port ux2
steinberg cubase 4
RME hammerfall dsp / multiface
alesis 26 i/o
m-audio ozonic, pro-88
motu 828, MSI
event ps6 powered monitors
ittango

MSI clearly untested 4the Real World

Post by ittango »

Purchased MSI from Guitar Center Saturday (2/4/06) for my PC.
I••™m running XP Professional, with Sonar 3 Producer Edition on a 3ghz P4 machine and a gig of ram. Using an M Audio PCI sound card running at 24/48. My system normally runs like butter, honestly. My latest project included 30 tracks, each with real time plugins. I have had absolutely no luck with the MSI. When I first installed it, it didn••™t show up as a DXi or VST. Downloaded/installed version 1.1 with the new iLok. Opened the standalone and got a completely corrupted skin, impossible to navigate or configure. Uninstalled everyone and started again. Version 1.0 appeared as a DXi as long as I used the new iLok, but played ••œout of tune••
MT Groove

Post by MT Groove »

It seems MSI only play nice on Digital Performer. ANd even then it still has many issues. Looks like MOTU has a lot of work to do on MSI.