How to change default note length?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rawrooo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to change default note length?

Post by rawrooo »

Hi everyone

I'm entering notes with the pencil tool on a MIDI track in the Sequence Editor window. The default note length is a quarter note/480 ticks. How do I change it to a custom duration? Changing it in the Step Record window doesn't affect it here.

Thanks!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to change default note length?

Post by bayswater »

rawrooo wrote:Hi everyone

I'm entering notes with the pencil tool on a MIDI track in the Sequence Editor window. The default note length is a quarter note/480 ticks. How do I change it to a custom duration? Changing it in the Step Record window doesn't affect it here.

Thanks!
As you click with the pencil to create a note, drag to the right or left (perhaps holding down the command key if you have snap on) until the note is the length you want. Subsequent notes will be that length as soon as you click with the pencil tool. To change to a new note length, rinse and repeat.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you need it to be a VERY specific length, I'd suggest you make a note the length you want first (by manually typing in the duration), then pencil-drag a new note right under it so you can align the start and end to the predefined length.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

I think the pencil tool adjusts to the grid size for all your standard lengths, 1/4, 1/8, etc...
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As Bayswater mentioned, it remembers the last note length you dragged and will continue to produce those until you drag a different length. But I don't remember how it relates to the grid.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:As Bayswater mentioned, it remembers the last note length you dragged and will continue to produce those until you drag a different length. But I don't remember how it relates to the grid.
I think that might affect it, but in this case that doesn't matter. Just draw the first one the length you want.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rawrooo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rawrooo »

Dragging with the pencil did the trick, thanks everyone!