Who Has New Toys?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Who Has New Toys?

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Bought a Linnstrument. As a guitar player first I’m loving it. Now where’s my MPE support MOTU!
That looks interesting. Have you looked at the newer versions of Logic Remote that have an interface for playing guitar and bass VIs? It does string bends, taps etc. I don't know if it's any good, and probably nothing like this Linnstrument. I don't have an iPad new enough to try it out.
Same boat, I actually own only a v1 iPad my sister gave me from her work.
I can use it to plug in key commands that I don't know by heart into DP, but now with Run Command I never use it. apple will give me $20 for it if I buy a new iPad.

I wish MOTU would do an iPad app for DP, they really need to, since they don't partner with too many controller developers, Clips is officially the bastard step child of the loop launching DAWs because of this. An iPad App with all the stuff from DP Control and a Clip launcher would fix that.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Get yourself a PS5, Gran Turismo 7 and a decent driving wheel like the new Logitech G923 (still good value even 'though a bit pricey) or an older G27 or G29 (both confirmed to work on the PS5), and have at it, Stoivo.

With any luck the PS5 will be out in November (my best guess) and GT7 will be a launch title, so you could be drivin' your heart out a month before Christmas. :dance:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I built one of the Burns kits about 15 years ago for my daughter. It had a slight 60 Hz hum that I found slightly annoying but she didn’t seem to mind.
My plan came from a magazine and used radio shack parts. It also hummed, but then, everything did.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I got one of these:

https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-m ... ntroller-2

The TEC is definitely more responsive than ye old BC3, plus it has the three additional modes of control (bite, and horizontal and vertical rotation), which I have only begun to explore. The TEC interface also provides variable attack and release times for each mode of control; very handy for adapting BC to various VIs.

Works great with the AudioModeling solo strings and flute that I picked up not long ago as well; they were on sale for awhile when Illio began distributing AudioModeling products. The AudioModeling instruments are a lot like the SampleModeling products (demoing the Linnstrument a few posts back); super fun to play... a little less realistic than samples for a single exposed note, but the way the notes connect and the ability to move from staccato to legato seamlessly make them extremely playable, a perfect pairing when blended with sampled strings.

WIVI Band still gets love for its BC-controlled French Horn; I use it regularly, and fire up other sounds it provides here and there as well.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I got one of these:

I need to stop reading this thread.
My (Theremin) plan came from a magazine and used radio shack parts. It also hummed, but then, everything did.
Yea, I never tossed my Fender guitars over that issue. Still have a Tele, Strat and a Jazzmaster plus enough parts to build a few more.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I got one of these:

I need to stop reading this thread.
My (Theremin) plan came from a magazine and used radio shack parts. It also hummed, but then, everything did.
Haven't tried it, but I bet BC would work great with a theremin VI. :wink:
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Just bit the bullet and ordered a MOTU 8pre-es. No studio work until the...well until whenever. But, I have some outdoor remote work coming up and decided to put together something a little more mobile. I love new toys!

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Just sold a bunch stuff and bought a Sequential Pro 3 SE:

and an ASM Hydrasynth:

Sorry about the huge pics. I used to resize and upload to Dropbox but they've made that really difficult now.

Pro 3 SE - I got lucky and found an SE on Muff's for only $100 more than the base model vs the normal $500 extra you'd pay for wood end cheeks and tiltable panel upgrade. I've owned a lot of synths and a quite a few different modular filters, but these (3 count 'em 3) filters sound fantastic, especially the OTA 4 pole. They've seriously dialed these in. Still haven't sussed the sequencer completely, but it's 16 x 4 and you can chain them for 64 steps and there are other seq lanes to program modulations and route them about anywhere. The sequencer is playable in real time is some cool ways I hope to figure out in the next few weeks. Two analog osc and one wavetable osc is a nice touch. It's a powerhouse mono synth to put it mildly, but it also can be paraphonic 3 note.

The Hydrasynth is a monster. It's a ton of synth for $1300 with ribbon controller and polyphonic aftertouch which I'm completely in love with, now that I've tried it. I had some Behringer semi-modulars (the CAT and the Neutron) which were cool, and I enjoy the zen of physically patching, but I can get lost in that and I really want to get tracks done to release electronic music I'm working on, so I returned those and bought this. The Hydrasynth is truly groundbreaking in it's approach, especially to all-important modulation routing, where it really shines. I's kind of modular in that it's easy to patch and you can pretty much route anything to anything. It's digital and sounds great, but I think it's probably individual taste as far as sound goes. I like digital if it sounds good and this thing definitely does. The interface on this thing is pure genius IMO, especially setting mod routings, which is usually a tedious mess. Much like Ableton being copied (ahem), other manufacturers will be glomming on to the Hydrasynth's interface in the coming years I predict. Five ADSR's and five LFO's! I liken Polyphonic aftertouch to a backup camera on a car- you don't know how much you'll dig it, until you have it. Pads are a blast with PAT! The company is adding new features (like a semitone stepped LFO with smoothing) and seems like they are 100% committed to future upgrades. I could go on and on about this baby...
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Things have come a long way since our SH-3. (Stolen a long time ago)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Re-prioritizing my budget right now. Dad needs to try that TEC Breath controller on the Linnstrument.

One-handed keyboard and tapping on the glass has been far less than satisfactory. I really miss dynamic and articulation control (pick and bow) as I play. I’ve played winds and brass in the past.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

How about a 3D printer? Anyone have one of those? Make your own guitar picks. I could make left handed thumbpicks -- really hard to find.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have an iStream from IK. Super cool. Also, I’ve had good ideas for new topics.... just like this one. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

But that's work. So it can't be a toy.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:But that's work. So it can't be a toy.
And buying, setting up, and learning to use a 3-D printer isn't? :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS