Freeze tracks/Play enable button

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
arsis
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Freeze tracks/Play enable button

Post by arsis »

Three part question

#1 When I freeze a track is it supposed to automatically play disabe?

#2 from the manual "When solid blue, the track is play enabled and will be audible. If orange, the track is muted or silent. If muted, the data for the track is
still there; you are just temporarily silencing the track during playback."

I don't get an orange button for muted tracks. Does anyone else?

#3 If I play disable a track on the "Tracks" page does that disable the plug-ins and free up resources?
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
Yes, I do everything using only my eyes. #ALSsucks
Even when I'm new school I'm old school.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Freeze tracks/Play enable button

Post by bayswater »

arsis wrote:Three part question

#1 When I freeze a track is it supposed to automatically play disabe?
An audio track, yes. Not a VI/MIDI combination. You have to decide if the VI has to remain enabled.
arsis wrote: #2 from the manual "When solid blue, the track is play enabled and will be audible. If orange, the track is muted or silent. If muted, the data for the track is
still there; you are just temporarily silencing the track during playback."

I don't get an orange button for muted tracks. Does anyone else?
This depends on the state of the Solo mode setting. You should get the orange when it is on. Not otherwise.
arsis wrote: #3 If I play disable a track on the "Tracks" page does that disable the plug-ins and free up resources?
Does here. You can check this using the Effects Performance button. Try something like Proverb on a track, and check that no other tracks are using it. Disable the track and you can see the EP meter drop to zero.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
arsis

Post by arsis »

bayswater wrote:
arsis wrote:Three part question

#3 If I play disable a track on the "Tracks" page does that disable the plug-ins and free up resources?
Does here. You can check this using the Effects Performance button. Try something like Proverb on a track, and check that no other tracks are using it. Disable the track and you can see the EP meter drop to zero.

Questions 1&2 answered. Thank you very much!

But I still don't know how to manually disable a track. I opened the Effects Performance window. Then, in the tracks window, I play disabled every track. No change in the effects performance at all.

How do I disable a track? I need to temporarily free up plug-in resources.
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

To temporarily disable a plugin, on a Mac it's OPTION click on the plugin in the mixer (and presumably in the sequence window if you're showing the plugs there). I don't know PCs but I'd suspect it ALT clicking on the name.

Muting a VI, however, will not release those resources, AFAIK, but I digress.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
arsis

Post by arsis »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:To temporarily disable a plugin, on a Mac it's OPTION click on the plugin in the mixer (and presumably in the sequence window if you're showing the plugs there). I don't know PCs but I'd suspect it ALT clicking on the name.

Muting a VI, however, will not release those resources, AFAIK, but I digress.

Alt click! Yes thank you!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

arsis wrote:But I still don't know how to manually disable a track. I opened the Effects Performance window. Then, in the tracks window, I play disabled every track. No change in the effects performance at all.

How do I disable a track? I need to temporarily free up plug-in resources.
Don't turn off the play button. That just stops it playing. Turn of the ENA button that enables it. The former lets you turn play on and off without glitches. The ENA button removes the resources so you'll hear glitching when you click it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8