88-Key Controller

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

88-Key Controller

Post by westla »

Hi all,

My trusty (and old) Yamaha KX-88 has given up the ghost, so I'm in need of a new 88-key controller. I want weighted keys, and I don't need much MIDI control capabilities.

Any recommendations?

A quick look at Sweetwater shows the StudioLogic SL-88 and the M-Audio Hammer 88, as options.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 88-Key Controller

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd avoid M-Audio at any cost!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I'm like you and didn't want my keyboard to double as a control surface, weighted keys were important. I ended up with the Roland A-88. The weighted escapement and "ivory feel" key material feel good to me. My original (possibly now discontinued) A88 has a couple assignable knobs and not much else. The new A88 MkII adds 8 drum pads, 8 assignable knobs, and control software. It goes for $1k, but there are used ones out there for less. (The original A88 might be closer to what you're looking for.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Rick Cornish wrote:I'm like you and didn't want my keyboard to double as a control surface, weighted keys were important. I ended up with the Roland A-88. The weighted escapement and "ivory feel" key material feel good to me. My original (possibly now discontinued) A88 has a couple assignable knobs and not much else. The new A88 MkII adds 8 drum pads, 8 assignable knobs, and control software. It goes for $1k, but there are used ones out there for less. (The original A88 might be closer to what you're looking for.)
The A88 MkII looks like a great choice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

BTW: I’m definitely NOT a Roland fanboy, but I can recommend the A88 without reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I like having my main controller include the ability to generate sound directly... very handy when the computer is off, a VI isn't handy, a big buffer is being run or mastering plugins are inserted on the master buss.

I've been looking to move my Yamaha S90es out of the studio and am seriously considering the Yamaha P515, with its very sweet action and triple sensor hammer action keys. I must admit to being somewhat of a Yamaha fanboy, as the company's products have proven themselves extremely durable and reliable on the road.

Solid action and internal piano sounds make for a great studio partner whether I'm composing, producing or directing other performers while recording. The P515's lack of Pitch and Mod wheels and Expression Pedal input are not an issue for me as I have a lightweight controller on hand that has these features (DP merges the MIDI data, so I can use on for control while playing the other.)

Regardless of what you ultimately choose, consider the potential benefits having on-board sound may bring to your situation.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My trusty (and old) Yamaha KX-88 has given up the ghost, so I'm in need of a new 88-key controller. I want weighted keys, and I don't need much MIDI control capabilities.
I like having my main controller include the ability to generate sound directly...
The Yamaha P125 hits those marks. It doesn't have great amounts of MIDI control, has some but not a lot of sounds and the weighted keys feel great according to my wife. We went with the 73 key P121 due to space considerations but they are otherwise identical.

The price is very good as well.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iano-black

The FC3A is recommended.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-control
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

The Yamaha controllers I demoed all had faux ivory keys. I found that less than satisfying as a pianist. The samples were also disappointing. Ultimately, it’s a very personal choice, at least for me. Then again I haven’t met a new Steinway I liked in about 30 years.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The Yamaha controllers I demoed all had faux ivory keys.
Nuttin' but gen-u-wine shiny plastic on the 121/125. At $649, I wouldn't expect more.
The samples were also disappointing. eUltimately, it’s a very personal choice, at least for me.
The samples are few on this or as they put it, 24 great-sounding instrument voices — yep, that's all. The pianos are pretty nice.

I'm not pushing these. We bought one and it mostly suits our needs but more spouds would be nice.

Here's the owner's manual:
https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... _om_a0.pdf

Then again I haven’t met a new Steinway I liked in about 30 years.
There'a a B in the Los Altos factory store about 4 miles away that is pretty impressive. Sylvia was considering teaching out of there before this lockdown occurred.

Sweetwater is out of these Yamahas; some other dealers have them.

One of the surprises of this current situation is that piano sales are surprisingly brisk right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/arts ... virus.html
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Anything with aftertouch is going to have a "mushy" keybed.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
greg328

Post by greg328 »

My trusty Yamaha Motif XS8 is still my weighted controller of choice. I think the feel is amazing and the main piano sample is impeccable. I’m a classical/jazz pianist and I’m super picky about keyboard actions.

I use the SPDIF output to send digital audio into my UA Apollo>>DP10
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I love my Yamaha CP-33. Great feel, great sounds. No aftertouch, but it does support half-pedaling. It cost about a grand new, but a used one would be a real good grab.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

Thanks for all the replies. One last quick question. Thinking of either the Yamaha P-125 or P-515, neither of which has a slider or wheel. If I pick up something simple like the Korg NanoKontrol2 https://www.korg.com/us/products/comput ... okontrol2/, would that add the MIDI functionality for me?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you don't need a pitch wheel, you could get one of these and a couple expression pedals. (or even a 10K slide potentiometer).

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpressi ... oduct=MEIO

Actually, it would be weird, and perhaps kind of cool if you had an expression pedal with a rubber band around the heal end (to snap it back to zero) and used that for pitch bends.

Here's a possible option. I've never used one, so I don't know if it's good.

http://atemp.ru/en/products/atemp_mc1.html
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On a (slightly) related topic, I wonder how many keyboards use higher resolution pitch bend. IIRC, the MIDI spec allows for 14-bits for pitch, but I don't know if manufactures actually end up using that, or 7-bit, or somewhere in between. Smooth bends may be a product of whether the engine does any smoothing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com