Inconsistent Results With Tempo Mapping

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Inconsistent Results With Tempo Mapping

Post by bayswater »

Anyone have any tips for this?

I do a lot of tempo mapping with recordings sent to me as a basis for a song. I follow the same procedure every time, but get inconsistent results.

- put the first downbeat at 1/1/0,
- remove whatever tempo info their might be already in the sound file,
- detect tempo,
- copy the tempo to the conductor.

This always produces a tempo map with the expected small variations. But it's not always usable. Sometimes, the tempo map DP creates in a soundbite is perfect, and copying that to the Conductor track nails it. Other times, the tempo map bears no discernible relationship to the music.

The distinction is not related to apparent transients in the piece. Sometime, a piece with a clear and distinct beat and easily recognizable transients with regular gaps results in a nonsense map. Sometime a very smooth piece with few transients gives a perfect tempo map.

At the extremes, it all makes sense -- a track with nothing but a hat recorded in time with the piece always gives a good tempo map, and a simple wave from a synth pad never gives a tempo map. Everything in between may or may not, and I can't figure out why.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pencilina

Re: Inconsistent Results With Tempo Mapping

Post by pencilina »

I always tap along. Works fine. I've had no luck using tempo maps.
This might help:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59838&p=515725&hilit=Pencilina#p505931
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, that’s one of the fall back methods I use. But it shouldn’t be necessary particularly with something with a very pronounced beat.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

I find that it works perfectly when I'm working alone, but not with a client or musician present... :wink:
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

From what you describe, it sounds it's as unreliable and as bad as its cousin, the Find Tempo from MIDI command. It's never worked, and it gives non-sensical results.
I wonder if they share part of the same faulty algorithm.

At least Record Beats works fine as an alternative.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

And I thought it was just me...
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I wish I had a solid solution to offer, but I hear all of you out loud. Tempo Mapping isn't always as easy as it looks. In some cases, I've had to use a different app (to remain unnamed) to get the job done for certain types of projects, but once I import that map into DP I find that editing and fine tuning the map easier to deal with in DP.
bayswater wrote: -- a track with nothing but a hat recorded in time with the piece always gives a good tempo map, and a simple wave from a synth pad never gives a tempo map. Everything in between may or may not, and I can't figure out why.
Spot on. Some tracks are just easier to map than others. A lot of things I do eventually go to live musicians, so mapping helps me to get more accurate imports into a notation app. But it really depends on the kind of project at issue. Sometimes I'll get a track with a solid backbeat. Other times, I'm sent a piano-vocal that is entirely devoid of a steady tempo requiring, say, strings. There are times I can nail a decent map in 15-20 minutes and there are those nightmare days when it takes 5 hours or more to come up with something halfway workable.

But, I am encouraged to see that you folks are doing the same sorts of things that I've been doing, results aside. As far as I can tell, there's no one way to pull it off in all situations since so much hinges on the nature of the track itself.

If anyone has an epiphany, I'm all ears. It's doable, but man is it twiddly.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oh, how I long for the days of the JL Cooper PPS-100... not.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
merideno

Post by merideno »

Mix feelings after reading this post: 1) relief to know I am not the only one dealing with the inconsistencies of tempo map, beat detection from imported audio, 2) frustration that there is no solution at this point DP 11 🙄.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Those posts were a long time ago. Although I don’t remember seeing much about this in the release notes over the past few years, it does work better now. Something to look at is 5 videos done by Magic Dave on MOTU TV on how to do this. I think it still works best by tapping out a beat on something like a hihat sample on a separate track. That takes the time of the song duration and can save a load of time in adjusting the tempo afterwards.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:03 am...I think it still works best by tapping out a beat on something like a hihat sample on a separate track. That takes the time of the song duration and can save a load of time in adjusting the tempo afterwards.
I agree. This is my go to method for mapping, as the efficacy of beat recognition is hit or miss.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.