Extending VI ranges

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Rick Averill
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Extending VI ranges

Post by Rick Averill »

I figured out a way to extend the ranges of sounds in my Garritan libraries. For instance, the banjo sample only goes down to a D, but a long neck five string in C tuning, with no capo goes down to an A. And sometimes guitarists will occasionally tune their 6th string down to a D. Some basses go as low as a C or B. And I was using a bass harmonica, and who even knows what the range of that instrument is, but I wanted some notes lower than were available in the sample. So I set the pitch bend range to 12, pull the bend wheel all the way down, and play an octave higher. Cool, huh?
Rick Averill

DP 10, Mac Mojave
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Extending VI ranges

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Many VIs will let you extend the range of the instruments w/o using the pitch wheel. Not sure about Aria (Garritan) but extending instrument range can often be a matter of digging a little deeper in the GUI of the VI.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Necessity, the Mother of Invention. :D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Garritan has a users support board.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... s#garritan

DP 10 can drop the audio easily if you need the occasional extra low note.

If all else fails $29 gets you this. You might find it useful anyway.
http://www.ircamlab.com/products/p1680-TS2/?goback=2
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro