Best method to lower volume on all but a few selected tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best method to lower volume on all but a few selected tracks

Post by rosindabow »

I have a song that I'm working on ...have about 60 or more tracks on it. Everything from vocals to 12 mics on my drum-kit to guitars, etc ... I am getting very happy with the mix and I just now realized that overall, the level of the drums has gotten a bit too soft. All the other levels are great, I just need more volume from my drums but I am already in the red on my master track so raising them a couple of db won't work. What are some methods that folk use to lower all the other volumes and still retain all the great internal balances. I have used "change continuous data" in the past but I found that if I lower the level of individual tracks they do not hit their compressors and other sub-mixed elements the same way. I know of a myriad of other ways to do this, just wondering if there might be a great suggestion from our marvelous online community. Thanks!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
mikehalloran

Re: Best method to lower volume on all but a few selected tr

Post by mikehalloran »

Now that I'm mixing virtual choirs, this is a weekly occurrence.

I would lower the Master and increase the drums.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I'm assuming you have plenty of automation going on and compression across your master.

A few options:

-Depending on your gain structure you could possibly attenuate before in a master insert (ie. a trim before buss compression or turning down the inputs of any virtual console or tape plugs across the master) and then push the drums up.

-Weed through your outputs, insert volume automation and pull down on any last gain stages which are after buss/subgroup compression and before the master - with the select volume automation and change CC you mentioned. So you're not pulling down all tracks just the ones you need to so sub group compression would be the same.

- Go ahead and push the drums up and if you're only seeing a few clips and not hearing any problems don't worry about it.

-Make a mix without the drums, pull it down a little and then add a submix of the drums to it.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I love this - especially the last one about making a mix sans drums ... thanks! Gonna give it a try.
pencilina wrote:-Depending on your gain structure you could possibly attenuate before in a master insert (ie. a trim before buss compression or turning down the inputs of any virtual console or tape plugs across the master) and then push the drums up.

-Weed through your outputs, insert volume automation and pull down on any last gain stages which are after buss/subgroup compression and before the master - with the select volume automation and change CC you mentioned. So you're not pulling down all tracks just the ones you need to so sub group compression would be the same.

- Go ahead and push the drums up and if you're only seeing a few clips and not hearing any problems don't worry about it.

-Make a mix without the drums, pull it down a little and then add a submix of the drums to it.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
akr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by akr »

Sorry,
I try to post here my issue because i can't find an existing 3d about.....
As you must know in DP you can lower all visible tracks by holding "W" and dragging one of the faders....
I have 2 dp installed on 2 macs.
on my macbook hold w works as usuar, on the mac pro dind't work.
i can't understand the reason why.....;

some tima ago it worked on both.....
may be i did something wrong. but what hell?
DP10 macPro 3.1 (2008), 2x 8coreXntel Xeon 5400, RAM 32 Gb, UAD 2, Waves 9 Diamond, Izotope Nectar3 & Neutron2
2x 24IO, RMEff800
Soundcraft 8000 36 ch
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Akr,
Check your key commands (shift+L) and see what you have assigned to "temporarily group visible tracks". I usually double click "w" for the temporary group to be enabled and single click it to turn off.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

pencilina wrote:Akr,
Check your key commands (shift+L) and see what you have assigned to "temporarily group visible tracks". I usually double click "w" for the temporary group to be enabled and single click it to turn off.
The problem with this is that all these tracks have tons of volume movement and they hit the compressors differently as you lower their volumes ... so this just doesn't;t work. But thanks!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Since you are working within a system that runs 32 bit floating point internally, by far the simplest solution is to insert a Trim plugin at the top of your Master Fader plugin chain.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote:Since you are working within a system that runs 32 bit floating point internally, by far the simplest solution is to insert a Trim plugin at the top of your Master Fader plugin chain.
This.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Ain't VCA you best friend?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
akr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by akr »

sorry for the delay in repling

I try to find here
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=67658&p=574492#p574492

or in cmd L window

may be the answer
DP10 macPro 3.1 (2008), 2x 8coreXntel Xeon 5400, RAM 32 Gb, UAD 2, Waves 9 Diamond, Izotope Nectar3 & Neutron2
2x 24IO, RMEff800
Soundcraft 8000 36 ch
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

I would agree with 2 solutions already stated. A Trim plugin on the Master before all the processing and/or since you are on DP 10.x, use a VCA fader