Mavericks to Catalina? ... I chickened out!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Buzzy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mavericks to Catalina? ... I chickened out!

Post by Buzzy »

It looks like too much of what I have been using will be lost. The 32 lives plug-in will no longer work. I have 2 Muse Receptors that themselves have some no longer functioning software (outside of them) that I still use. EWQL symphonic orchestra on Kontakt for example. NI B4II and Pro53 (discontinued) and a bunch of Slate drumkit expansion packs for Kontakt that they long abandoned.

Anyway ... point being, I think I've convinced myself to upgrade to Mojave instead in order to buy myself more time with these as well as to render my last >10 years of musical project to audio for archiving.

So here's the question. Is everything generally working fine with DP10, related third party plug-ins and Mojave? Is there any -need- to update to Catalina?
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
bdr

Re: Mavericks to Catalina? ... I chickened out!

Post by bdr »

So my studio computer is still Mavericks, and I'm with you in not really wanting to upgrade it..I just know it will not go smoothly and will likely be 3+ days of hell.

I have an old MacBook Air that I was recently given at home so I thought I may as well install Mojave on it. I have DP and Sibelius on it and both work fine, but basically without many extra plugins. I'm not going to Catalina bc I don't need to.

I'm also thinking about a Ha**intosh but just bc the price of the basic tower in Australia is over 10K, it's ridiculous for solo or small studios. Even the bigger post houses here will probably not upgrade as fees have plummeted.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I moved from Sierra directly to Mojave with my 5,1 Mac Pro, and have been very happy with this version of macOS. I don't think I had any plug in conflicts attributable to the OS upgrade. (Several, now resolved, arose when I moved from DP9.52 to DP10.11)

Note that there are hurdles to cross to put Mojave on a 5,1 Mac Pro, including the need for a Metal-compatible GPU. Here is an excellent guide for those upgrading a 5,1 Mac Pro:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp ... d.2142418/

I found that DP's GUI response improved markedly under Mojave, compared to Sierra, likely attributable to more mature GPU driver software.

At this point, I see no reason to move to Catalina, and a number of reasons to avoid it... loss of 32 bit app support and lack of official support for 5,1 Mac Pros are two big ones.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I just moved to Mojave from High Sierra on my two 5.1 Mac Pros thanks to Marcus and Mike,s help. I am not going near Catalina on my main system drives. I have Mojave spare 3rd drive I might experiment with that but probably will not at this time. Mojave is working fine here.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have Mojave on the 2018 Mini, because that's what it came with. I have Catalina on a test volume, but have decided I'll not bother with it, instead waiting to see what 10.16 does. I found Catalina intrusive, demanding and annoying, with nothing to justify the effort of setting it up.

I find Mojave, at least in it's last update, the best OS version since Snow Leopard. (Based on how often I have to restart to resolve OS and App weirdness: 10.6, about every six months; 10.14, a couple of times a month; other versions, between once a day and every two weeks.)

Mojave also seems very accommodating to very old software (assuming you can get it installed). Last week, I installed Photoshop Elements V9 which came free on a DVD with a printer 10-15 years ago. Mojave got all excited about "suspicious processes", but after being told to relax a couple of times, it all worked fine.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mothra

Post by mothra »

Yeah I think Mojave is actually pretty nice and trouble free for the most part..

I just ordered my new Mini last week (its getting drop shipped by Apple cause I got the i7 w/16GB) and Im HOPING I can still put Mojave on it since its technically a 2018 Mac mini just with bigger storage. But if not luckily I think everything of mine is Catalina compatible now.

I just really like how stable and slick Mojave is.. It reminds me of those "good old days" when you got to tell people you used a Mac because "it just works" hah.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I still have two apps that are not Catalina compatible (promises, promises but not yet). Otherwise, I would have updated by now.

There are some things I like about it including screen resolution on my iMac Pro that I can’t get in Mojave. I also have it on an external drive and my MBP. But those two apps...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote:I have Mojave on the 2018 Mini, because that's what it came with. I have Catalina on a test volume, but have decided I'll not bother with it, instead waiting to see what 10.16 does. I found Catalina intrusive, demanding and annoying, with nothing to justify the effort of setting it up.

I find Mojave, at least in it's last update, the best OS version since Snow Leopard. (Based on how often I have to restart to resolve OS and App weirdness: 10.6, about every six months; 10.14, a couple of times a month; other versions, between once a day and every two weeks.)

Mojave also seems very accommodating to very old software (assuming you can get it installed). Last week, I installed Photoshop Elements V9 which came free on a DVD with a printer 10-15 years ago. Mojave got all excited about "suspicious processes", but after being told to relax a couple of times, it all worked fine.
This is good to hear. My update to High Sierra recently has been not only painless, but actually improved a few things. A couple annoying bugs, but nothing I can't adapt to. I'm thinking if I nudge up to Mojave, I can probably camp there comfortably for the duration of my mid-2012 MBP's life.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Well ... It's done! 10.9.5 to 10.14.6. And surprisingly, quite painless too. So far so good with DP10 as well, although I haven't really run it through much other than playing back and inserting plug-ins into tracks and so on. I did have to go into the terminal program to disable the "csrutil" in order to get through a strange permission problem that wouldn't allow me to save any documents.

Just thought I'd report back this success, for all those that wouldn't be able to sleep without knowing how this worked out. :lol:
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Nice work Buzzy!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All good here as well. Some apps like Photoshop CS 5.1 need to be allowed to control the Mac on system prefs (security?). Otherwise everything is great. Messages (Apple app) won’t stay up in full screen at reboot. No big deal. You might want to make sure apps and plugs are up to date. For me, Catalina remains a beautiful island off the coast. I actually do a lot of gigs there. So great.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I did have to go into the terminal program to disable the "csrutil" in order to get through a strange permission problem that wouldn't allow me to save any documents.
You should to talk with Apple about that.

Something's going on at the Root level—it should be found and deleted. There are times to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) but it should be to fix a problem so that you can re-enable it.

Most of us went through these growing pains with Yosemite or El Capitan—which you skipped.

If you were using Soundflower, that should be purged from the root while you have SIP disabled. The current builds don't reside there.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just hitching onto this thread, I finally mustered courage and went ahead to Mojave.

My first little dabblings are mostly fine. The biggest disappointment is that I can't install that special version of iTunes that let's me to continue to manage iOS apps from my Mac (which I very much prefer).

So now I'm stuck with the newer version of iTunes. Not tragic, but I'll just miss being able to buy apps from my MBP where I do most of my surfing. Grrr.

I suppose in the grand scheme that's a pretty minor gripe.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

stubbsonic wrote:
I suppose in the grand scheme that's a pretty minor gripe.
Still, a dumb move on Apple's part.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'll just miss being able to buy apps from my MBP where I do most of my surfing
Was that new for Mojave? I noticed that I couldn't do that anymore but don't remember when that happened.
Still, a dumb move on Apple's part
Zero argument here.