Logic 10.5 vs DP 10.1

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Logic 10.5 vs DP 10.1

Post by Henry Robinett »

And that’s in contrast to Logic playing the same files at about 18%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Henry Robinett wrote:And that’s in contrast to Logic playing the same files at about 18%.

I'm curious, have you tried running DP 9.02 on your new Mac Pro?
That's the version of DP before they implemented the "next-gen pre-gen" engine.
I don't record at 96k but once the N-G P-G engine was introduced, I started to get a lot of spiking.
I still do in DP 10.1.1 but it's died down since prime milliseconds numbers.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

kwiz wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:And that’s in contrast to Logic playing the same files at about 18%.

I'm curious, have you tried running DP 9.02 on your new Mac Pro?
That's the version of DP before they implemented the "next-gen pre-gen" engine.
I don't record at 96k but once the N-G P-G engine was introduced, I started to get a lot of spiking.
I still do in DP 10.1.1 but it's died down since prime milliseconds numbers.
No I haven't. Can I? For one thing all the files I've opened in 10.11 won't open in 9.02. And I'm not sure 9.02 is 64 bit/Catalina compliant, is it?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Henry, have you tried running DP10.11 at 44.1 or 48k on your new Mac Pro? Not to suggest that you should change your workflow, but it would be interesting to know if all becomes suddenly right with DP at the lower sample rates.

If you already discussed this here, please excuse my redundancy.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

HCMarkus wrote:Henry, have you tried running DP10.11 at 44.1 or 48k on your new Mac Pro? Not to suggest that you should change your workflow, but it would be interesting to know if all becomes suddenly right with DP at the lower sample rates.

If you already discussed this here, please excuse my redundancy.
Yes I have. Te problem is at 96. I don't think I have ever had any issues at 44.1 or 48.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ran the Logic 10.15.1. On my Mojave machine, pretty routine.

On my Catalina machine, 10.15.1 froze on the validation screen claiming I had one incompatible plugin. I couldn't skip or bring up the control panel.

So I restored 10.15.0 using Time Machine Snapshots (about 45 seconds). This time it brought up the same error on startup but let me into the control panel. I clicked to delete all plugins that failed automation and it fired right up.

So I rebooted and ran the updater again from the App Store.

It's now hung up on the start screen for the last half hour with Updating information about Audio Unit plug-ins on the splash screen and Logic Pro X (not responding) in Force Quit Applications.

Fortunately, being on my Catalina test machine, it's not a priority. If I can't make it behave over the weekend, I'll call Apple Support on Monday.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

That is happening to a lot of people. It was happening to me too. I finally figured out that during the plugin scanning process, one plugin was putting up some kind of dialog box that I needed to respond to, but the LPX splash screen was hiding it. I removed that plugin from my components folder in order to get LPX to start all the way up, but clearly this is a problem, I can't put that plugin back until Apple fixes this glaring problem.

I'm sure they will because there is a lot of noise on the internet about it already. I'd stick with LPX 10.5 for now unless you can figure out which plugin is putting up the dialog box during scan and just take it out of components folder for the time being until Apple corrects it in 10.5.2
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dewdman42 wrote:That is happening to a lot of people. It was happening to me too. I finally figured out that during the plugin scanning process, one plugin was putting up some kind of dialog box that I needed to respond to, but the LPX splash screen was hiding it. I removed that plugin from my components folder in order to get LPX to start all the way up, but clearly this is a problem, I can't put that plugin back until Apple fixes this glaring problem.

I'm sure they will because there is a lot of noise on the internet about it already. I'd stick with LPX 10.5 for now unless you can figure out which plugin is putting up the dialog box during scan and just take it out of components folder for the time being until Apple corrects it in 10.5.2
After letting it try to boot overnight, I found a crash report that pointed to Izotope Nectar 2. Ok, removed it from all my plugins folders (even though Logic supports AU only) — 5 files from each folder.

Crash is gone and now it boots... in 55 minutes! I've rebooted and run other tests. 10.15.1 Boots in 40 seconds on my iMP running Mojave — with those Nectar 2 libraries installed.

I've a few more things to try but I think Apple's a gonna get a call tomorrow or Monday.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll just keep plugging (and plugining) along in DP, thank you very much.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I'll just keep plugging (and plugining) along in DP, thank you very much.
Wouldn’t that be nice? That’s not a luxury I get to indulge. My projects finish in DP or DSP-Q if mastering for CD (yep, that still happens) but they often begin elsewhere.

If I didn’t have Logic, Encore, Notion, Overture, Acrobat, FCPx and a half dozen other apps, I’d have to turn down work. Not happening.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I did the 10.5.1 update and didn't have the problems associated with plugins widely reported on logic forums (fora?) on launching it. iZotope seems to be a common denominator. I have some old iZotope stuff but haven't used it for a long time. But I noticed yesterday that although Get Info reports that I have 10.5.1, it still shows as an update in the App Store. Perhaps Apple has updated the update.

I might just back out to 10.5.0 with TM until this is resolved, if not 10.4.8.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Besides the one I found in Catalina, what problems (problae?)?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Besides the one I found in Catalina, what problems (problae?)?
As I understand it, there are new specs for the UI in AU plugins that are being more strictly enforced in 10.5.1 and this is causing crashes when plugins do not conform.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I think the problem is that the logicpro splash screen is going in front of other plugin dialogs thst are coming up during Scanning that the user is supposed to respond to but can’t even see because the splash screen is in the way. It will have to be addressed by 10.5.2 most likely.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Louis Lafontaine

Post by Louis Lafontaine »

I tried since so long to have a multi-split keyboard in DP but the tools are not there. I want to have freedom with my master keyboard and define key range assignments to independent MIDI out channels. I tried MIDI tools like the free MIDIpipe. But until MOTU implement such a MIDI filter inside MIDI tracks, which I think they are lagging doing it, I found Abelton Live can help me with that. Maybe other daw can do the same if they have MIDI filter ? I think you have to activate IAC driver (Inter Application Communication) in Audio MIDI Setup in your Mac so that apps talk to each other but the main part is this: In Ableton Live, create multiple MIDI tracks all receiving from your master keyboard. For each track, apply a Pitch MIDI FX. DP is very limited with these, it is a shame. So a Pitch MIDI Effect in which you define the lowest note for each split and a note range (how much semi tone you want up this lowest note). You can even transpose by an octave or two, up or down the note range in the same Pitch MIDI FX. Then you define a MIDI send channel for each split or track. For this, in DP go to Setup > Inter-application MIDI and create as much as needed virtual inputs. DP Input 1, DP Input 2, etc.
Back in Ableton Live, define your splits for each MIDI tracks. Thus you can have Split 1: C-1 (lowest) +23 (range) MIDI out: DP input 1
then Split 2: C3 (lowest) +35 (range) MIDI out: DP input 2 finally Split 3 C1 (lowest) +87 (range) MIDI out: DP input 3, etc. In this example, the last split overlap with the first two. You could add a fourth MIDI channel for a single note on a single MIDI output dedicated for a given instrument if you will.
In DP, create your virtual instruments tracks and define the MIDI input as DP input 1, 2 and 3. And that's it. Honestly, it's a shame Digital Performer doesn't have a split keyboard MIDI function integrated in the software. I don't understand why it's not there since decades. I honestly wish they wake up at MOTU with the next DP release.
And finally after some time spent in it, MIDI Patchbay (a free utility) does it all, simply. Define a source (your master keyboard) a key notes range, transpose value if needed and a MIDI out channel (use IAC or DP virtual channels). Add a few "layers" in the same pipe and you are done. Anyway, DP must have this integrated inside it.