Is there a way to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Is there a way to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite?

Post by Tomas E »

I need to listen separately to the left and right channels of a stereo soundbite. Is there a way to mute one channel at a time?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmmm... Can't think of any... at least not as easy as a L/R mute would be... you'd have to use the mixer panner or a 3rd party plugin... or convert the channel to dual mono if you want mute buttons.
Trim only reduces the gain for each channel up to a (small) limit.

I think I'm brain-dead at the moment, 'cause I can't think of anything else :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Put the stereo soundbite in a stereo track (of course)
Set the output to a stereo bus pair, like bus 5 & 6
Create two aux tracks, pan them hard L and hard R, respectively
Set the input of the 1st aux track to a mono bus that corresponds left side of the bus pair, like bus 5
Set the input of the 2nd aux track to the right side mono bus, like bus 6
Now you can mute either aux track, and even pan/adjust/process either side as you wish.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BTD de-interleaved, tracks will give you each side as a mono track. Drag them back in.

There a a few other ways to do it but this takes me a few seconds.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:Put the stereo soundbite in a stereo track (of course)
Set the output to a stereo bus pair, like bus 5 & 6
Create two aux tracks, pan them hard L and hard R, respectively
Set the input of the 1st aux track to a mono bus that corresponds left side of the bus pair, like bus 5
Set the input of the 2nd aux track to the right side mono bus, like bus 6
Now you can mute either aux track, and even pan/adjust/process either side as you wish.
Of course! That's a good one.

(I'm still brain-dead...) :smash:

However, as nice as all these methods are, wouldn't it be simpler and nicer to have mute buttons in the Trim plugin? Seems to me it's too basic a function to have to do extra routing for the sole purpose of muting signal from a side of stereo channel.

While we're at it, wouldn't it be nice if MOTU incorporated the Trim plugin in the mixer, kind of how it does it with MW Compressor and EQ?
And they could also add a Mid/Side feature in there too... :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote:BTD de-interleaved, tracks will give you each side as a mono track. Drag them back in.

There a a few other ways to do it but this takes me a few seconds.
I thought I'd wait for your reply before digging into this subject. How many seconds did you say? :wink:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FMiguelez wrote:
... as nice as all these methods are, wouldn't it be simpler and nicer to have mute buttons in the Trim plugin? ...

...While we're at it, wouldn't it be nice if MOTU incorporated the Trim plugin in the mixer, kind of how it does it with MW Compressor and EQ?
Hell yea!! to all three!!

Putting independent L/R mute buttons in the Trim plugin makes really good sense, especially as you may want to do some kind of automation moves that exploit a stereo track in various ways.

Having it be a permanent part of the mix window makes some sense, especially as a way of really expanding on how pan & balance can be approached- as well as phase!

With a few slight tweaks, the trim plugin could become a mid-side plug.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:Trim only reduces the gain for each channel up to a (small) limit.
Trim plugin certainly has enough range to allow one to listen and hear pretty much only one channel, which you can pan to center if you wish. Probably all you need in this situation. If total control is required, MIke's method is solid. Probably take about 15 seconds, including renaming fees to get rid of the .L and .R.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Thanks for all suggestions! I will go through them, just wanted to let you know that I'm following what is posted here.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Would MStereoScope, free at Melda, do this?

The change to Trim is a brilliant suggestion. Whether it goes into the mixer or not doesn't matter to me -- it's in my templates, but the changes would be great.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

FMiguelez wrote: However, as nice as all these methods are, wouldn't it be simpler and nicer to have mute buttons in the Trim plugin? Seems to me it's too basic a function to have to do extra routing for the sole purpose of muting signal from a side of stereo channel.

While we're at it, wouldn't it be nice if MOTU incorporated the Trim plugin in the mixer, kind of how it does it with MW Compressor and EQ?
I thought that I'd throw in a feature request, so I suggested they should add the possibility to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite.
MOTU Tech Support wrote:There's no way to just "mute" one side of a stereo channel. However, if you put the built in Trim plugin on the stereo audio track, you can unlink the left and right side and make either lower or higher.
This is the method I will use.

FMiguelez, if you want to I can send them a feature request regarding that mute button, but I think that you would do it better since you seem to have several ideas beyond this. Unless you're still brain-dead of course. :wink:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Because of the way these new inexpensive USB interfaces record into GarageBand And the bounce options in that app, I get a lot of stereo files with instrument one side, voice on the other.

Because I need both sides as mono tracks, using Trim to pan and center is not as practical for me as bouncing to de-interleaved tracks and renaming the results. As HCM indicated, it takes around 15 seconds to bounce and rename the results.

This lets me drag them back in and group them accordingly knowing exactly what is on each track as I begin assembly. Likewise, I avoid the pitfalls of performing edits on the same soundbite in two different racks (yes, I know how to avoid that but this way I don’t have to). With 3–6 tracks due each week, the time savings add up.

Love the Trim plug but not for this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote:Because of the way these new inexpensive USB interfaces record into GarageBand And the bounce options in that app, I get a lot of stereo files with instrument one side, voice on the other.
Why are you using GarageBand instead of DP, if I may ask?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tomas E wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Because of the way these new inexpensive USB interfaces record into GarageBand And the bounce options in that app, I get a lot of stereo files with instrument one side, voice on the other.
Why are you using GarageBand instead of DP, if I may ask?
I believe Mike is getting files from others who a recording remotely, then importing files into DP.

As far as I can tell, and I've looked, GarageBand offers no way to export into a mono file. (If anyone can correct me on this, I'd love to know the method.) I'm getting remote stuff for GB users and it is always stereo files which I deal with one way or another.

Remote files from non-engineers often equals really interesting audio. :smash:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:I believe Mike is getting files from others who a recording remotely, then importing files into DP.

As far as I can tell, and I've looked, GarageBand offers no way to export into a mono file. (If anyone can correct me on this, I'd love to know the method.) I'm getting remote stuff for GB users and it is always stereo files which I deal with one way or another.

Remote files from non-engineers often equals really interesting audio. :smash:
Same here. GB is a quick free way to sketch out a track for a piano player. I use DSP-Q to extract mono files if needed, which is not that often. It lets you select one side of a stereo file in editor, then save or export.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8