Shortcut Mac/PC migration

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Arceo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Shortcut Mac/PC migration

Post by Arceo »

Hi,
i'm a long time DP user. My PowerMac 4.1 is almost obsolete and I'm considering to switch platform and try a Windows machine. I'm going to leave my Mac in the rig to avoid backward compatibility problem with old projects.
But I'm still worried about keyboard shortcuts. I know that you can export/import keybindings as I always did for each and every updates on my Mac. What I'm wondering about is that soft keys are different from Mac to PC. I learned that the Mac “Command Key” is often replaced by the “Control Key” in PC's version of DP (which is two key left). And “Option/Alt Key” in PC's keyboards isn't in the same place as is in a Mac's keyboard.
Since I customized so many shortcuts (that now for me are second nature) I'm struggling thinking that even importing my key bindings I'd have to learn from scratch all the key combinations, due to the new soft keys position.
I'd like to hear if anybody had such needs and how (and if) they addressed them.
Thanks in advance.
Arceo
HCMarkus

Re: Shortcut Mac/PC migration

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll not respond to your question but, as my tradition in this forum and regardless whether you move to PC immediately, encourage you to consider bumping your 4,1 MacPro to 5,1, then dropping in a $40 Xeon W3680 or X5680 into your Mac to almost double its performance. Plus you'll be able to migrate all the way to Mojave if you wish.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Arceo wrote:I'd like to hear if anybody had such needs and how (and if) they addressed them
Yes, it was one of many reasons I didn't change to Windows on my last computer update. I think you're just scratching the surface of things you have accommodate when making the switch in either direction. If all you do is messaging and facebook, it doesn't matter but if you regularly use complex applications like DP, switching make little sense to me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Well, you can get used to Windows. I used NT/XP/7 in my job for 13 years. Getting used to the changing position of the Alt and Command keys always took awhile when moving from one platform to the other.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I'm about to make the transition to windows (from my upgraded 5,1 which I'm finding too slow for the DP10 and the way I work). I'm learning all the little tweaks on my w10 laptop before making the leap to a new dual boot studio machine (Mojave hackintosh/Win) which is half built as of yesterday. There's a free utility I use on my laptop called sharp keys which is amazing. I found about about it in a cool studio that jumped apple ship and has it on their PT machine. There's also some info here on various ways to customize 'doze keys:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remap-your-keyboard

Maybe see you on the other OS side!
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

You need to be aware that any old sessions that use SD2 files on the Mac will not translate to PC. Convert any/all old sessions with SD2 to AIFF or WAV (preferably) prior to transferring to PC or before retiring your old Mac. SD2 is history and will be problematic going forward.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Thanks. I'm aware of that. Thus, the dual boot system for some time to come.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

HCMarkus wrote:I'll not respond to your question but, as my tradition in this forum and regardless whether you move to PC immediately, encourage you to consider bumping your 4,1 MacPro to 5,1, then dropping in a $40 Xeon W3680 or X5680 into your Mac to almost double its performance. Plus you'll be able to migrate all the way to Mojave if you wish.
Thank you HCMarkus, that's definitely a valid alternative to be considered.
Cheers.
Arceo
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

pencilina wrote:I'm about to make the transition to windows (from my upgraded 5,1 which I'm finding too slow for the DP10 and the way I work). I'm learning all the little tweaks on my w10 laptop before making the leap to a new dual boot studio machine (Mojave hackintosh/Win) which is half built as of yesterday. There's a free utility I use on my laptop called sharp keys which is amazing. I found about about it in a cool studio that jumped apple ship and has it on their PT machine. There's also some info here on various ways to customize 'doze keys:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remap-your-keyboard

Maybe see you on the other OS side!
Thanks a lot pencilina, that's precisely what I'm going to need in the changing platform scenario. I gave a fast glance at the article and it seems that with Sharp Keys I can easily swap soft keys. If this could be done on an application base would be perfect, otherwise it's more than enough even if it applyes globally.
Cheers
Arceo
pencilina

Post by pencilina »