Logic 10.5

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Logic 10.5

Post by bayswater »

The new version has dropped with the usual list of a zillion bug fixes. It looks like a significant update that includes at least two features recently added to DP, and the long overdue update of EXS24. Needs Mojave. Eli has done a 5 hour overview at Groove3. Like MOTU, it looks like Apple has noticed that a lot of people are using Live, and they need to offer up an alternative.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Logic 10.5

Post by mikehalloran »

I updated this morning. When I went to The Library Manager, it shows 68GB waiting to be downloaded — Yikes. Then the power to my neighborhood went out.

Power's back. Here's the release notes/new features blurb:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207735
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I updated this morning. When I went to The Library Manager, it shows 68GB waiting to be downloaded — Yikes. Then the power to my neighborhood went out.

Power's back. Here's the release notes/new features blurb:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207735
I never found the need to download all the samples and loops. A lot of them are of no interest to those of us more than 12 years old. I found about 10G new stuff worth having a look at.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Apple did something I had hoped MOTU would do, they partnered with Novation and their clip launcher is immediately compatible with Launchpads. It also works with Logic remote on iPads. The other thing, they looked at how Bitwig handles loops and added it in as a section of the Arrange page, so you see the clips side by side with the regular timeline. It's also resizable.

I used Logic pretty exclusively from v4 to 7, this might be the update that gets me back. I don't think I'll ever stop using DP, but I'm pretty impressed with this update, Drum Designer got a complete overhaul in all the right areas as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe this update will inspire improvements in other DAWs.

I use Logic a lot working with others, but wish I didn't have to. It looks great on paper. Does all sorts of wonderful things. The problem: it's often not clear how you do these things. The manual will sometimes blather on about how you can do this that and the other, but never actually telling you how to do it. I've started quite a few projects in Logic since V5, recently those sent to me in Garageband, but never finished one, coming to the realization it would be easier in DP.

Whatever metaphor Logic was based on, I can't figure it out. If DP is like a tape recorder, Logic is like what? Logo? (https://turtleacademy.com). Surely something not related to music.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I never found the need to download all the samples and loops.
I didn't say I was going to download all that content—only that I saw how much was there before the power went off. :rofl:

Total number of pre-made loops I've ever used=0
The manual will sometimes blather on about how you can do this that and the other, but never actually telling you how to do it.
Yea, that. I have a few places that I check for things that have not been possible since OS 10.4.11 ... still there. Logic is such a poor name for this DAW.
I use Logic a lot working with others, but wish I didn't have to.
That's me in a nutshell. Since SIP, more than ever.

I actively dislike GarageBand. Certain things that make it goofproof make more work for me.

Logic is inexpensive, however, especially if you buy it this way. The same $199.99 gets you Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/produ ... -education

The reason it's so inexpensive is also why Pages/Numbers/Keynote/GarageBand/Photos & iMovie are free: To sell the hardware that runs them.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Apple has really delivered with Logic, and they continue to roll out impressive, FREE updates year after year. After 35 years on DP (!) it’s hard to imagine switching to a different DAW, but I’m beginning to feel left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I notice it requires 10.14.6, thus avoiding alienating a huge part of Logic's user base.

I use DP. People I work with use Logic. I find I am more than occasionally searching for ways to help them get around the roadblocks they encounter.

But every DAW has its pros and cons.
Michael Canavan

Rick Cornish wrote:Apple has really delivered with Logic, and they continue to roll out impressive, FREE updates year after year. After 35 years on DP (!) it’s hard to imagine switching to a different DAW, but I’m beginning to feel left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You don't have to switch. I've never fully understood the argument that DAWs are too difficult to know more than one? Languages are vastly more complex than any DAW and plenty of people know 2 to 5 languages. I've used Live and DP, (with a 5 year hiatus into Logic 4-7) forever. Recently I bought Bitwig, Logic X and the "R word" DAW that cannot be named here to find an MPE solution I liked. Logic is looking to win this.

I'm really interested in three areas that Logic is pulling ahead of DP in right now; MPE; articulation mapping; and integrated hardware controller solutions. I still don't think it's a good solution for performance, DP has much better solutions to backing tracks and switching VI's etc. in Chunks, and in general I think Logic has become quite ugly, way too office product looking to me. If I do end up using Logic for a while I can't see any reason to stop using DP.

I have to say I really do love DP, but MOTU haven't put any effort at all it seems into developing relationships with hardware controller manufacturers. Live has great control surface support, it's obvious they wrote as much of the code for as Novation, Akai etc. The jury is out on Logic, the MPK88 here isn't integrated yet, Push 2 isn't supported by Logics clips, but Novation Launchpads and of course Logic Remote on the iPad is.

I'm hoping for an announcement from MOTU for sure, it would be fantastic to see them announce a partnership or a new version of DP Control with Clips support. I was hoping them and Novation would partner up since Novation keys work well with DP, but Apple got there first.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Languages are vastly more complex than any DAW and plenty of people know 2 to 5 languages.
The brain has specific structures for language after a couple of million years of evolution. I doubt the brain has yet developed innate structures to accommodate DAWs since the dawn of the sequencer.

The point about it being too difficult to learn is not that it is beyond the ken of the average musician, but that the effort can easily exceed the benefit. On top of that there is the continued effort to keep up with the changes and enhancements of multiple DAWs.
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Languages are vastly more complex than any DAW and plenty of people know 2 to 5 languages.
The brain has specific structures for language after a couple of million years of evolution. I doubt the brain has yet developed innate structures to accommodate DAWs since the dawn of the sequencer.

The point about it being too difficult to learn is not that it is beyond the ken of the average musician, but that the effort can easily exceed the benefit. On top of that there is the continued effort to keep up with the changes and enhancements of multiple DAWs.
Sure, I've just always used a few. Started off with Performer, made a progression back to sequencers in general and bought DP 2. Reason with ReWire was a much more affordable choice at the time for soft instruments, much more stable etc. At some point for various reasons I switched to Logic 4. Picked up Live for all the things it could do the rest couldn't around 04, and then back to DP fully around 7. Recently I bought R, Bitwig and Logic, to see which MPE capable DAW I might use as backup for that.

My brain isn't that shocked by it I guess, mostly it's a learning curve memorizing new key commands. Honestly if they all had Run Command it would be dead easy.

Some concepts are weird in almost any DAW.

DP has Chunks, and whether it is for you, the dual views of the timeline in Tracks and Sequence. Not to mention being the only DAW that has MIDI and soft synths as separate things.

Logic has the Environment, and some unique issues like channel routing instead of port routing to tracks, coupled with no real MIDI "bussing" like you see in DP and Live, it creates multi instrument tracks instead of regular MIDI tracks that point to the virtual instrument with a new MIDI channel for one. Bitwig does this, the MIDI bussing isn't open wide like DP or Live.

Those types of things are the major differences, the basics are all the same.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is probably the first of such notices:

NEED TO KNOW: LOGIC PRO X 10.5 UPDATE

Hi there,
Apple recently released an update to Logic Pro X – Logic Pro X 10.15.

If you’re using MASSIVE X, CRUSH PACK, MOD PACK, REPLIKA or REPLIKA XT, you might encounter some issues or crashes after updating.

We’re already working on a fix, which we’ll share with you as soon as we can. Check our support area for the latest.

We’ll keep you updated.

Best wishes,
Native

Since I'm unlikely to ever use those in Logic, not really an issue but many of us deal with Logic users so, the more we know...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On the logic forums and GS there are many reports of plugins that don't work. But like you, I have no reason to use 3rd party things in Logic, and otherwise I find it works very well. Snappier too.
Michael Canavan

Apparently NI have already accepted that it's a fix on their side. Not really that surprising. NI usually are a bit behind Apple with compatibility, I just remember how long it took them to go Intel because they refused Apples constant hints to use Xcode over Codewarrior.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote:Apparently NI have already accepted that it's a fix on their side. Not really that surprising. NI usually are a bit behind Apple with compatibility, I just remember how long it took them to go Intel because they refused Apples constant hints to use Xcode over Codewarrior.
I received this in the morning email:

Hey MASSIVE X people,

Just a quick note about the MASSIVE X 1.3 update, which is out now.
Firstly, crashing issues related to the new LOGIC PRO X 10.5 update are now fixed, so you’ll be good to go again.
As far as the fun stuff is concerned, you’re in for a real treat:
The new update includes 20 new presets, and 50 new noise tables (25 loops, and 25 one-shots). You can also import your own samples into the noise module – time to put your field recording collection to good use!
We’ve also added parameter readouts and, as usual, have swatted a few bugs.

Head to Native Access to update.

All the best,
Native