Instrument size / screen resolution??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
arsis
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Instrument size / screen resolution??

Post by arsis »

First... Can the virtual instruments (Wavestation) be resized?
Other elements like the grid settings are just microscopic.
I have a 17" 4k display on my laptop. What resolution do other old guys recommend?
I can see most things just fine but other things seem ridiculously tiny.
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
Yes, I do everything using only my eyes. #ALSsucks
Even when I'm new school I'm old school.
CharlzS

Re: Instrument size / screen resolution??

Post by CharlzS »

Korg just put out a V2 update to their collection and now the UI on the Wavestation (and most others in the collection) is resizable. I have a 4k laptop display and set the resolution in the Display Settings to HD (1920x1080). Everything in 4k on the laptop is too small, not just DP. If you're running DP10 you can also scale DP using ctrl = to increase and ctrl - to shrink.

Re the Korg upgade, even though this link is to a Mac thread you can find good information here if you haven't already upgraded to the Korg ID and Korg Software Pass. Starts about half way down the first page viewtopic.php?f=26&t=67330
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
arsis

Post by arsis »

CharlzS wrote:Korg just put out a V2 update to their collection and now the UI on the Wavestation (and most others in the collection) is resizable. I have a 4k laptop display and set the resolution in the Display Settings to HD (1920x1080). Everything in 4k on the laptop is too small, not just DP. If you're running DP10 you can also scale DP using ctrl = to increase and ctrl - to shrink.

Re the Korg upgade, even though this link is to a Mac thread you can find good information here if you haven't already upgraded to the Korg ID and Korg Software Pass. Starts about half way down the first page viewtopic.php?f=26&t=67330
Thanks. Yes, I'm running DP 10 and use the scaling often but it doesn't affect things like Ample Guitar etc. I guess I just need a bigger screen. :shock:
The weird thing is that when I switched to anything other than 3840×2160 nothing fills the screen when I maximize. Not even my browser. But I may just need to reboot.
Lenovo Yoga i7, 16RAM, DP 10.11, Waves analog modeled plug-ins, AmpliTube, Shreddage 3 Jupiter, Mackie HR824 Mk1, Tobii Eye gaze mini.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Not sure what might be going on with the laptop panel. Not all that familiar with Lenovo. In Windows Display Settings are you scaling a percentage also? I haven't had much luck with that, so I set at 100% and change the Display Resolution in Windows Display Settings. Is there another place you can set the resolution of the display panel, like BIOS or in the driver settings (Adjust Screen Resolution Control Panel)?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
arsis

Post by arsis »

CharlzS wrote:Not sure what might be going on with the laptop panel. Not all that familiar with Lenovo. In Windows Display Settings are you scaling a percentage also? I haven't had much luck with that, so I set at 100% and change the Display Resolution in Windows Display Settings. Is there another place you can set the resolution of the display panel, like BIOS or in the driver settings (Adjust Screen Resolution Control Panel)?
1920 x 1080 did the trick. I just don't have 4k eyes at 2.5' haha.
christopher.theblues

Post by christopher.theblues »

I found even with the scaling function I was getting issues with cursors and plugin windows still shrunk. Really I just downgraded my 4k resolution back to 1080p to get around it. This is a problem I've noticed in other DAW's as well.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

+1 for the updated wstation. When you go to upgrade set the payment field to zero or the payment cart won’t complete. You’ll also need to upgrade to their new system. A little convoluted processs but worth it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

christopher.theblues wrote:I found even with the scaling function I was getting issues with cursors and plugin windows still shrunk. Really I just downgraded my 4k resolution back to 1080p to get around it. This is a problem I've noticed in other DAW's as well.
Handy to have two monitors: one 4k and one 1080 for issues like this. Or enable and use Apple's Zoom function in Accessibility (I assume Windows has a similar command...)