Hopping on the bus!

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hopping on the bus!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No, I'm not leaving the forum so don't get your hopes up! lol This post is about bussing and what I didn't and don't know about that.

First. It is BUS, not BUSS. That has long plagued me. The double s applies to variations of the word, such as bussing and bussed. It also applies to a Nazi secret service, but I digress...

I've used bussing before without realizing I was doing it. All it means is routing a signal from one place to another. Duh! For example, one might route certain tracks to an AUX track for separate processing. That's a bus.

So why now? Why is MLC bringing this up at all now? I'll tell ya, why.

Now that we're in shelter-at-home mode, I've been doing a lot of online stuff. A few live gigs with theater and comedy folks, jamming with my trio on Saturday nights, and most recently, playing modern dance classes in Indianapolis while in L.A. And that's where things got tricky.

If I use my Kurzweil into my mixer or Track 16, I can kill the speakers and wear headphones. This is particularly useful for the Saturday night midnight comedy gig and the 8am (Pacific time) dance classes. But If I want to use my VIs, I have to turn the speakers on and use a mic. Not only does that annoy the neighbors (who don't complain because I manage my building) but the quality of the audio kind of sucks being pumped thru a mic. Ideally, I wanted to kill the speakers and still be able to use the VIs. Impossible... until today. I woke up with a thought about how to accomplish this and it worked. It's all about bussing.

What I realized was that if I created a bundle assigned to a different output than my main outs and bussed the output of the VI to that bundle (analog out in my case) I only had to connect the analog outs to the mixer. I tried connecting the main outs directly to the mixer but there was horrible feedback as the audio looped around. Duh! By bussing to the analog outs of the Track 16, the VI doesn't send a signal to the main out. The mixer sends the clean signal back to the Mac (Track 16) and I can monitor it with headphones while sending it to Zoom, Facebook, JamKazam, OBS, or other online entities. The only lagging issue is Instagram, which is a total waste of time for streaming, IMO. But that's another story for another time. (Hint: iRig Stream.)

OK, I'm done. NO WAIT! ... Nah, I'm done.

I hope you Streaming Mimis' find this helpful in your pursuit of online work. If there's a bright lining to the Covid-19 sequester, it's figuring stuff like this out. BTW, the dance class (a paid gig) is now twice a week and when this is all over I'll be playing their classes in the studio the same way.

Stay safe. Wear your mask in public. Wash your hands. Play music!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Re: Hopping on the bus!

Post by HCMarkus »

BUSTED!
MIDI Life Crisis

:rofl:
HCMarkus wrote:BUSTED!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

But If I want to use my VIs, I have to turn the speakers on and use a mic.
If you say so. I'm going directly from DP to the internet with my wife playing through either my 828mkII or MTP AV USB and triggering the VIs there.

When conducting, I monitor off my MBP through the internet. In the Zoom videos, monitoring in sync with with the direct audio from my host makes me appear to be too early.

I may try your approach. We'll see what happens. My M4 is supposed to get here on Thursday and I have a Yamaha P121 with a weighted keyboard showing up later this week—Sylvia's complaining that the Casio herts her wrists (Shhhhh... it's a surprise!).

Anyway, glad to see you are making it work. :headbang:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks, Mike. One fringe benefit of my method is I can ride levels from the board as well as apply board fix and eq on the fly. I’m also mixing with the other outboard hardware and with everything in an all in one place is convenient when streaming.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

My mixer has an FX SEND (post-fader) and an AUX SEND (pre-fader), and I have those mixer sends going into inputs on my RME FF800. These sends give me the option to send my vocal/speaking mic into my Zoom/Skype feed-- with or without it being in my speakers/cans. I generally use the post-fader send and cans.

The FF800 includes it's excellent TotalMix software mixer/router which provides flexible options to route amonst inputs, software outs, and hardware outs. The problem is that Mac OS (or the driver?) doesn't provide in-application access to all of the software playback channels.

Enter Loopback. I'm still getting my head around it, but it does allow me to patch things. It doesn't always work as I expect. For example, I run an app into a pass-thru, but the volume slider on the pass-thru doesn't have any affect.

I think between my hardware mixer, TotalMix, and Loopback, I should be able to get everything I need, but it is nice to know that lurking in DP is another set of tools to route audio around. My brain's fans are already blazing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Are you sure that's not spelled "bussted"?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

mhschmieder wrote:Are you sure that's not spelled "bussted"?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the buss, Gussss
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

labman wrote:You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the buss, Gussss
I post a serious thread and it revolves into a game of Simon said.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This was a serious post? Oops, I must have gotten on the wrong buss.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:This was a serious post? Oops, I must have gotten on the wrong buss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK9hK82r-AM
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Where I come from, buss=kiss.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Given the nature of the discussion, you missed an opportunity for fair and balanced reporting, as you should have named this topic, "Hoping on the buss". One word loses a consonant to compensate for the other word gaining one. Is there a ticket surcharge?