MOTU Discovery not discovering my 16A

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Modulated
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Discovery not discovering my 16A

Post by Modulated »

For some reason the MOTU Discovery application does not see my 16A. I've tried it with Thunderbolt, I've tried it with USB. I've reinstalled it and rebooted my MacBook Pro several times. I reached out to MOTU tech support and followed their directions. ( See Below)

- Turn off your 16A
- Open a Finder window and go to Applications. Move MOTU Discovery and MOTU Audio Tools to the Trash
- Once you've done that, go to Macintosh HD > Library > Extensions > move the MOTU Pro Audio.kext file to the Trash
- Restart your computer
- Next, go to motu.com/download and get the MOTU Pro Audio Installer for Mac v2.0+84544 | April 9th, 2020
- Run the installer. You should get an error that says it's blocked from loading. To Allow it, go back into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and Allow the installer to run. Once you do that, follow all on screen instructions for the installation.
- Restart your computer again once it completes
- You should be able to power on your 16A and get it recognized.

I was sure that would have solved it. (Note: I didn't get the error message installing it, it just installed without issue) Still no luck. Still says no device found. Any ideas on what I should try next?

(My MacBook Pro is a 2.5 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB of memory running OS Catalina 10.15.4 and I installed the latest version of the MOTU AVB driver)
HCMarkus

Re: MOTU Discovery not discovering my 16A

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you tried it with Ethernet connected to your hub/switch/router? I have my 828es hardwire connected to my studio router, and Discovery finds it every time.

Good luck getting this sorted!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

FWIW

I have my 1248 connected via USB with a 16A connected to the 1248 via AVB and ADAT.

Often, though randomly, MOTU discovery will not “see” the two - particularly after a restart. AudioMidi will see them however and things work, though the channel names are wacky.

What works for me is to turn off the two units, wait for 30 secs, the turn them on (first the 1248, then a minute later the 16A). Then I wait. It takes anywhere from 30 secs to 1.5 minutes, but 95% of the time MOTU discovery will eventually see the devices. If that doesn’t work, I simply repeat it and it usually works.

I don’t know why this is the case, and I’ve given up trying to figure it out. It’s the one thing that bugs me about the units, but it may be that I’m running into an old 5,1 via USB. If this persists with a newer Mac (when I can afford one), I’ll be very miffed.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

nk_e wrote:FWIW

I have my 1248 connected via USB with a 16A connected to the 1248 via AVB and ADAT.

Often, though randomly, MOTU discovery will not “see” the two - particularly after a restart. AudioMidi will see them however and things work, though the channel names are wacky.

What works for me is to turn off the two units, wait for 30 secs, the turn them on (first the 1248, then a minute later the 16A). Then I wait. It takes anywhere from 30 secs to 1.5 minutes, but 95% of the time MOTU discovery will eventually see the devices. If that doesn’t work, I simply repeat it and it usually works.

I don’t know why this is the case, and I’ve given up trying to figure it out. It’s the one thing that bugs me about the units, but it may be that I’m running into an old 5,1 via USB. If this persists with a newer Mac (when I can afford one), I’ll be very miffed.
My 828es is connected to my 5,1 via USB2.0 and to my network via Ethernet. Although both the USB and Ethernet connections are always available, Discovery clearly favors Ethernet. On occasion at startup, I have noticed the Discovery connection showing "USB" then quickly changing to "Ethernet" (the connection indicator icons are different). As I noted above, without fail, Discovery consistently finds my 828. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but, if possible, it might be worth a try to connect your interfaces to your router.

I always start up my audio gear before booting my Mac. The router is always on.

I should also note that my iPad wirelessly discovers my interface consistently, too. I use the iPad to control the AVB Mixer so I don't have to shift focus in my Mac to and from DP while tracking. Also, iPad touch control is silent; no mouse clicking when tracking with mics in the control room.
HC Markus
Modulated

Post by Modulated »

Unfortunately, my router is one floor below my studio so that makes a direct ethernet connection pretty tough. Odd that a hardwire connection via Thunderbolt or USB isn't enough to get it to well, connect. Sounds like the MOTU software is a bit buggy. Is there a way to connect without using the MOTU Discovery software? Can I configure it just using Audio MIDI setup? Any other 3rd party apps that might work?
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I'm not sure about "configuring it" if by that you mean the more advanced routing stuff, but even when MOTU discovery does NOT recognize it, my interface still shows up in audio MIDI set up. The names of the channels are wonky, but they do work.

Again FWIW

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You can try entering the MOTU unit's IP address in a web browser; as long as both are on the same local network, computer should find the interface. Note that the interface's IP address will often change when it is rebooted.
Modulated

Post by Modulated »

Thanks, that never would have occurred to me. I'll try that.
Modulated

Post by Modulated »

Good MOTU news update. The other X factor I wanted to test was the possibility of a problem with the Thunderbolt cable. I got an Apple Thunderbolt cable, reinstalled the software again and... it works!
Not sure why it wasn't liking the non-Apple one, but I'm happy this is resolved. Thanks for the troubleshooting help! In the end, I think mine was a simply a physical cable issue. Go figure.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi

I’ve recently been round and round this issue on my Mac Mini 2018….. I’ve had great difficulty getting Discovery to find the 16A on TB (16A TB2 > Mac Mini TB3 port via TB2 cable + Apple TB3 USB-C to TB2 adapter). I also have an AVB Monitor 8 permanently attached to the 16A by Ethernet … as a headphone controller in the tracking room….

I have been wanting to record myself remotely in the tracking room without assistance....control my headphone mix… hence the need for Discovery. If Discovery runs fine on the Mac then the iPad and iPhone Discovery apps also run fine. Wi-Fi must be on for this

The bottom line… and the solution for me…. is to ensure that the 16A is powered off at system startup… Wait until the computer has booted up fully… and then, finally, turn on the 16A

Seems straight-forward now but it took me a long time to get there… ( :

I have a number of startup apps that need to log-on or log-in at bootup (Little Snitch, Dropbox, iStat, EuControl) …better to let them all load up before starting the 16A …

All seems good now

Thanks for the input here…

Best to all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Probably a little late to the game here but in case it helps someone in the future, I was having a hell of a problem with my MOTU 16A and my MacPro 2010 (10.13.6). Discovery app would never find it. Sometimes power off would fix it after waiting a few minutes. Sometimes reboot. Eventually it would sometimes drop off and I never saw it again. This would happen about 25% of the time.

Other weirdness: anytime I switched from the 16A to the internal speakers and then switched back, either the 16A would disappear or the mac would give SBOD and I'd have to reboot. Mind you, discovery wouldn't find it but if I looked at the USB chain in System Info it clearly showed the 16a was connected. I finally figured out how to update the firmware and did so. It fixed every single problem I had with it and is now rock solid. New Firmware was 1.3.5+1434 and I confirmed with MOTU that they had issues with the previous version.

Still trying to figure out an easy way to deal with audio output from the Mac without powering up my console. May need a separate interface just for that.

If it helps someone.....

$.02

Ken-
My Gear: MacPro 2.8ghz Quad (2010), 12 GB RAM, 4 internal HDs, OS 10.6.5, DP 7.21, MOTU 2408mkIII, MTP AV
gjensse

Post by gjensse »

The 16A is not showing up in the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX Ventura. It´s like it´s not Class Compliant anymore. I can only open Pro Audio Control if I use an additional Ethernet cable. And I still get the message "No connected AVB devices". I must have restarted my computer hundreds of times because of this.
Last edited by gjensse on Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini 2020, OSX 13.6, DP 11, UVI Falcon, MOTU 16A, MOTU 8A, MOTU UltraLite AVB.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

gjensse wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:05 am The 16A and the Pro Audio Control software is the most unreliable studio gear I´ve ever had. The 16A is not showing up in the Audio MIDI Setup in OSX Ventura. It´s like it´s not Class Compliant anymore. I can only open Pro Audio Control if I use an additional Ethernet cable. And I still get the message "No connected AVB devices". I must have restarted my computer hundreds of times because of this. I really hate the 16A, and I miss my old FireWire UltraLite. It always worked.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. My 828es has been rock-solid with my Mac Studio under both Monterey and Ventura here.

Just to be sure...
Are 16A firmware and MOTU Pro Audio drivers up to date?
Have you tried different start up routines (order of equipment startup)?
Have you tried reaching out to MOTU?

Hope you can fix this.
HC Markus
gjensse

Post by gjensse »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:07 am
Sorry to hear of your troubles. My 828es has been rock-solid with my Mac Studio under both Monterey and Ventura here.

Just to be sure...
Are 16A firmware and MOTU Pro Audio drivers up to date?
Have you tried different start up routines (order of equipment startup)?
Have you tried reaching out to MOTU?

Hope you can fix this.
Yes, I have the latest firmware and driver. I´ve also tried different start up routines. Today I disconnected everything from my Mac Mini M1 and connected only the 16A to the USB port. It didn´t show up in the Audio/MIDI app, even if it´s supposed to be Class Compliant. Pro Audio Control did not find the 16A until I connected an ethernet cable between the interface and the computer.
I am considering the new 828 released a couple of days ago because it comes with the CueMix software. At the same time it took me a long time to master the matrix of the Pro Audio, and I will also loose 8 analog inputs and outputs if I switch to the 828. I sent an e-mail to MOTU today.
Mac Mini 2020, OSX 13.6, DP 11, UVI Falcon, MOTU 16A, MOTU 8A, MOTU UltraLite AVB.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Try a Tech Note with MOTU at MOTU.com

Also: I bet the 16a might fetch a pretty penny used. They are currently Unobtainium.