Recommendations on a multi-delay plugin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recommendations on a multi-delay plugin

Post by Prime Mover »

I have use for a versatile delay plugin where I can create many discrete delay lines at different intervals. I often have need for modeling outdoor environments, and would like to algorithmically model things like canyons and hillsides, which typically have a number of individual reflections. I was hoping FabFilter might have something in their bag of tricks, since I like their workflow of being able to create as many different "nodes" as you need. But unfortunately they don't really have anything designed for that.

Outdoor spatialization is pretty niche since most music is recorded with MORE reflections to start with than outside environments. I'm often working with outside recordings anyway, and fairly close-up ones that are dead dry. I could just find some IR packs, but delays are great for outdoor reflections, so I'm looking for a product that would be ideal for this kind of work.

EDIT: A quick look around revealed "The Slapper (stereo)" by CargoCult, which looks good, anyone have any experience with it, or any other related suggestions?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
monkey man

Re: Recommendations on a multi-delay plugin

Post by monkey man »

Hey Eric,

I suggested UVI's Relayer here a few years ago. It's super-impressive in its ability to let you tweak individual taps; I'm just not 100% sure that you can specify discreet intervals.

A cheaper and possibly more-appropriate option might be PSP's 608 MultiDelay. Each tap has selectable feedback, stereo image & position, delay time, multimode filter, modulation, drive/tape saturation & reverb.

HTH, mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, the one thing I notice is that most of these have a universal feedback interval. You can specify initial delay time, but all delays subsiquently get repeated by a global time. I'd be more interested in just a set of parallel delays that feedback by their own delay time, maybe with some X-Feedback to other delay lines. The feels like it should be pretty simple to setup, I'm half tempted to just mock it up in Reaktor, but god that workflow drives me nuts, it would take me hours to jump back into it. Slapper looks like it could.

For now, the project at hand is done, I used KORG's MDE effects unit which gives me 4 pannable delay lines, like a stripped down version of Waves Supertap. For the particular job at hand, I found it wasn't too critical. But I want to keep my eyes open, because these projects fly by every so often, and I can budget for something.

Currently "Slapper" looks the closest for my field recording work.

Tho, while I was looking around, Valhalla Delay sounds GORGEOUS for music, at $50 I may nab it up, off the clock. It won't do me any good for sound design work, but sounds killer on synth leads. I love Valhalla's plugs, "Room" appears on almost all my projects.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Prime Mover wrote:Yeah, the one thing I notice is that most of these have a universal feedback interval. You can specify initial delay time, but all delays subsiquently get repeated by a global time.
Yeah, this is what I've seen. If you find you're stuck with the multiple instance route, don't forget about DP's echo plugin. When I need a no frills, simple single delay it's my go-to. I can imagine that would be a PIA, though, if you need many instances. :?

Melda makes TurboDelayMB. It's got all sorts of configurations (kind of overwhelming at first) but a couple of them have multiple delays with independent feedback. It was about 60 bucks if I recall correctly.

I'm not familiar with MM's suggestion. I'll have to check it out.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have PSP 608 and it is very versatile. I don't use delays much (should I admit that?)

I remember with DP's delay I have to use it in a aux send (and not as an insert) because the wet/dry resolution is too course. Too much or too little.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I, too, have 608 but from your description, it looks like Eventide’s H3000 Band Delays might just be the ticket. Not only can you can tweak the individual delay times but filter them for eq and band pass. $199 and you can request a demo.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... and-delays

I picked this up a few years ago as part of a bundle but have never used it.

Features

8 voices, each of which can be altered by frequency, resonance, filter type, delay time, volume and panning.
Filters assignable as band pass, low pass, high pass, all pass or notch filter.
Assign the H3000 Function Generator to several parameters to create movement and bring life to drums and stringed instruments.
Beat grid gives visual representation for creating unique rhythms from your sound.
Route a MIDI keyboard to the plugin to play the filters as musical notes.
Includes presets from original H3000 hardware in addition to many new inspiring choices.
MixLock keeps the wet/dry mix of the effect static as you scroll through presets or user-defined snapshots
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

DPs delays are good but both (Echo and Delay) are limited. Echo has no stereo control: what goes in comes out with no stereo repositioning. It's like SuperTap without panning controls. Delay is more like a twin delay pedal: it's dual-mono with X-feed. Neither one is particularly great for my needs. TBH: I feel underwhelmed by both of these, even for musical projects. They come across as too fiddly, yet too basic at the same time. I don't have very many high-end delay plugs, but the ones inside GuitarRig usually give me more immediately interesting results if I'm being creative, and I'm not going to pretend those are anything particularly special. Their new Analog Delay pedal plugin has never grabbed me. Sometimes "one nob" plugs sound killer on everything, that one doesn't.

I'll check out your suggestions.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

BTW, this banner on Valhalla's site is TOTALLY selling me on their delay plug:
— Eric Barker
Eel House

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

:lol:

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Funny. I haven't seen that before. I have used the ducking feature on female vocal. Worked remarkably well for pulling it forward in the mix. Just like the duck's bill is forward in that photo.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

PSP's 608 Multi-Delay is ancient but does the job and did get a major upgrade as I recall. I haven't used it in a while so can't remember if it was one of the ones that was re-done on a later release.

I have a gazillion delay plug-ins, but unfortunately I did not document which ones support multi-delay, as it isn't of particular interest to me, so it would take too long for me to go through them all. Looking at my list right now, none stick out by their product names as being obvious candidates.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

What about d16 Sigmund?

It's only 4 delay lines, but they are fully independent, including the feedback I believe. You also get a drive circuit, filtering, and some decent modulation capabilities:

https://d16.pl/sigmund/overview
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The installer images for the 3 PSP plugs I have (608, Lotary, and PnoVerb) are all dated Mar. 7, 2020.

The installer package for the 608 is dated May of 2019. Lotary is Jan of 2020, PnoVerb is Oct of 2019.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, the oldest still-supported plugins should be last year IIRC, when PSP made them Catalina-compatible.