Bizarre MIDI Problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bizarre MIDI Problem

Post by KenNickels »

I don't know what to make of this, the latest in a series of frustrating nuts and bolts problems with DP 10.11. It's one thing after another. The latest is MIDI pitch errors while editing in the Sequence window, and for the life of me cannot understand it and so cannot correct it.

I click a note and what sounds is a short grace note one half step above the note, always a half step. It is random as to what note and when and similarly stops randomly. The only thing that's predictable is that it happens on every session, both in Kontakt and Play. I can't make it happen and I can't not make it happen. Imagine editing when you drag a note to change its pitch but sounds a half step higher when you release the mouse!

I disconnected all MIDI devices, deleted prefs. MIDI monitor shows the correct notes are being transmitted. This does not happen with DP9.

What could this be?
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Bizarre MIDI Problem

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I’d suspect an errant pitch bend or wheel issue. Check your controller. Either that or DP is stuck
In “singer” mode. :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had something like this happen yesterday. A short note cut off almost immediately after Note On when clicking on notes in the MIDI editor. In my case it might have been a half note out, but it was difficult to tell because the duration was so short. I was using a GPO harpsichord. I changed to a Kontakt harpsichord and it stopped happening, so I put it down to problems with GPO. Maybe that wasn't the problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

bayswater wrote:I had something like this happen yesterday. A short note cut off almost immediately after Note On when clicking on notes in the MIDI editor. In my case it might have been a half note out, but it was difficult to tell because the duration was so short. I was using a GPO harpsichord. I changed to a Kontakt harpsichord and it stopped happening, so I put it down to problems with GPO. Maybe that wasn't the problem.
I had that problem before a while back. In my case changing the VI to real time mode fixed it. This is something more insidious.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I’d suspect an errant pitch bend or wheel issue. Check your controller. Either that or DP is stuck
In “singer” mode. :lol:
I've had that problem before too. But I disconnected my MIDI devices. This is between DP and my VI's. I verified that from the keyboard in Kontakt, that DP, or some MIDI related app in between, is transmitting both the grace note and the half step above it. I can see it. What could that be?