what mp3 download sevice pays us the most?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
toobiesnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

what mp3 download sevice pays us the most?

Post by toobiesnack »

hi i have been wanting to distribue some songs via mp3.
is anyone doing this?
list your percentages please.
who pays the mast?
later
ts
geozero
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by geozero »

We are putting together a new service which will start later this year. It's at www.musicmix.com.

While we have not yet decided what we will pay, we intend to providethe musician and artist with the most $ for your Mp3's and CD sales. Keep in touch or email me for more details. We are currently re-writing all the code needed to launch the website.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I dunno what deals any of these places offer, but when I went looking for a place to put my (free!) mp3 promo/teaser track for my latest project, I found 'em, so here they are if you are interested:
http://www.artistserver.com
http://www.audiostreet.net
http://www.mixposure.com
http://www.mp3advance.com
http://www.futuremusicnow.com
http://www.musicv2.com
http://www.atom-sounds.com/mp3_hosting.html
http://www.soundclick.com

BTW, I ended up posting my track (That's wot friends R 4') over @ OSXRecording.com, where I from time-to-time post reviews of gear. Just go here and click around 'til you find something interesting:
http://www.osxrecording.com/index.php?name=UpDownload

If you just want a place to put a file for others to get to, you can go to:
http://www.putfile.com

HTH
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BboY

www.CDbaby.com the only way to go

Post by BboY »

Your wasting your time if you do not post on the larger ones. like itunes, musicmatch and etc. they pay you for listening and download. Your best bet is to sign your cd up with www.CDbaby.com and the will inturn sell your cd's for you and encode them in all posiible formats and distbute them to 27 download services. I am talking about the top ones. itunes will pay you 99cents a song after CDbaby's cut you end up with 69cents. well worth it. Some services will pay you more but they dont get near the exposure itunes get you. I am talking from experience. Its the best deal on the web.
:P
Timeline

Re: www.CDbaby.com the only way to go

Post by Timeline »

BboY wrote:Your wasting your time if you do not post on the larger ones. like itunes, musicmatch and etc. they pay you for listening and download. Your best bet is to sign your cd up with www.CDbaby.com and the will inturn sell your cd's for you and encode them in all posiible formats and distbute them to 27 download services. I am talking about the top ones. itunes will pay you 99cents a song after CDbaby's cut you end up with 69cents. well worth it. Some services will pay you more but they dont get near the exposure itunes get you. I am talking from experience. Its the best deal on the web.
I just listed an album with CDBABY but with NO digital distribution, just the CD.

Trust me, if a label wants your stuff and you have given that up, it's over. Guess it depends on your music though.

Derek at CDB says it's easy to get it back but I don't believe that's true. We have made only three bucks from that portion including iTunes. The first album wasn't that bad either.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/retrobeast

Should be up in a few days. Our second album.

Best of luck.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
BboY

Post by BboY »

Timeline wrote:
BboY wrote:Your wasting your time if you do not post on the larger ones. like itunes, musicmatch and etc. they pay you for listening and download. Your best bet is to sign your cd up with www.CDbaby.com and the will inturn sell your cd's for you and encode them in all posiible formats and distbute them to 27 download services. I am talking about the top ones. itunes will pay you 99cents a song after CDbaby's cut you end up with 69cents. well worth it. Some services will pay you more but they dont get near the exposure itunes get you. I am talking from experience. Its the best deal on the web.
I just listed an album with CDBABY but with NO digital distribution, just the CD.

Trust me, if a label wants your stuff and you have given that up, it's over. Guess it depends on your music though.

Derek at CDB says it's easy to get it back but I don't believe that's true. We have made only three bucks from that portion including iTunes. The first album wasn't that bad either.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/retrobeast

Should be up in a few days. Our second album.

Best of luck.
BboY

Post by BboY »

Guess it depends on your music though

You sumed up your whole career with that line right there!!! :wink:

If a company wants you trust me the will get you 8)

In the mean time make money while your waiting for the lotto :roll:
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

So lets hear what you got. :)

here is a post about DD you might find interesting written by the man himself:
by Derek at CD Baby on Tuesday September 13 2005 @ 04:51AM PDT [ reply | parent ]

>> Does granting the rights to using the "underlying composition" entitle the grantee to rerecord the song using other musicians and featured performers?

No.

>> Does it allow them to change the music around?

No.

>> How do we terminate?

>> Once a company using the sync option has embedded our work in their game, movie or commercial in whatever way they choose then how could this be reversed?

It can't.

>> Can we allow a company to offer free downloads of a track for promotion during only one week, one month, etc. or is it that once a company activates the free download for promo option then they have the use of that download forever

If you cancel, we would stop future distribution. But what's done is done.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
BboY

Post by BboY »

Go to cdbaby. I have been using them for 2 years now and make money every quater from down loads. Timeline doesnt know what he is talking about . they need your right to give them to all the paying download services. as soon as you want to stop just tell them but its nothing more than permission to sell your music just as leaving cd's with a store to sell. they wouldnt want you to say later own that you did not give them permission. Sometimes I laugh every unsigned artist is so worried that the music might get bootlegged. Wow if that happens that means you got something use cdbaby they are great and they ask b4 they do anything with your music and its given my artist Malika so much exposure especial in Japan we have sold over 30 cd's and 75 downloads in a market we dont even advertise in

www.cdbaby.com/malika
BboY
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

BboY wrote:Go to cdbaby. I have been using them for 2 years now and make money every quater from down loads. Timeline doesnt know what he is talking about . they need your right to give them to all the paying download services. as soon as you want to stop just tell them but its nothing more than permission to sell your music just as leaving cd's with a store to sell. they wouldnt want you to say later own that you did not give them permission. Sometimes I laugh every unsigned artist is so worried that the music might get bootlegged. Wow if that happens that means you got something use cdbaby they are great and they ask b4 they do anything with your music and its given my artist Malika so much exposure especial in Japan we have sold over 30 cd's and 75 downloads in a market we dont even advertise in

www.cdbaby.com/malika
BboY
You can dis me if you want, I don't really care, but your wrong man.

Once digital rights are assigned to third party, they cannot reverse it according to the owner of CDBABY.

They can stop from further assignments to NEW digital distributers, that is if you opt out on the web sight, but as Derek says at CDBABY, what's done is done and cannot be reversed. When subscription services come online fully, very little will be left for the artist and the iTunes model may go away completely. Something to think about.

Did you even read what Derek wrote that i included for you bBoy before you posted? I doubt it.

Unreal!

BTW, I listened to your stuff.
BboY

Post by BboY »

You talk as if you never will make another album. I'm sure you will pump out a least 2 more albums b4 itunes go down. Look all they are saying is once they distriute your music they cant just ask for it back. You see why itunes dont want to deal with individuals, too much hassle. I wouldnt either. im showing you how to sell your music.

Look at it like this if you have to ask about a download service that means you never heard of it. Chances are your consumer hasnt heard of it either. When I mentioned itune everyone here knows what Im talking about Its worldwide baby not just U.S dollars but world dollars.

BboY :P
BboY

www.CDbaby.com Secret

Post by BboY »

PS. little secret about www.Cdbaby.com
you dont need to press up 5000 albums just make about 20 they can be duplicated just make a great cover right. sign it up for digital distribution they will encode it and distribute it to the top 25 download sites (all you do is sit back) when your album sell out you dont have to replenish it you will still be listed with the bigboys on itunes forever and it looks great especialy to people who do cover songs cause their rendistion will pop up when someone searches for a song giving them exposer and maybe a sell.
ipods are becoming the way of the future. 99cent minus they fee leaves you with 69cents a song an album yield about $7 way more than Timeline will hope to see from a major. :shock:

This helps the artist that has a home studio who produces good music but cant afford to invest in cd and sell them like a record store.
All they need to do is produce a great album(master it also) spend some money on an album cover duplicate 20 cd and submit them. and promote themself as being on itunes and www.CDbaby.com

peace yall BboY
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

OK bBoy, Yea everyone knows about how to market and use digital distribution like iTunes duh! Enough already!

Along the same lines for the rest of us; I just got an email from CDBABY on this very subject.

CDBABY has in the works to make EACH retailer optional and will offer this up in the near future.

This is what we've been waiting for.

This means, for those of us who care, so not you bBoy :),we can pick the digital retailers we want and NOT select rip off subscription base's sellers like Rhapsody and Napster.

It will also help to make them much more competitive which could mean ++ bucks $$ in our pockets.

We just have to be patient.

Here's the email:

Hey Gary-

In the near future we plan to make each retailer optional. It's just a lengthy process because we have to update each individual contract with the retailers.

Thanks,

CDBABY
BboY

Post by BboY »

Dude i just listen to your site your music is GREAT :D
I know i have been comming down on you but damn your Album sound pretty damn good. keep it up. Please allow others to enjoy it so sign up for Digital distribution. Some people dont undertand that alot of people do well on th internet an this is monitored very heavly by the majors. If you can sell with a small budget they will usally like to see what you can do with a larger one. Case and point. Paul Wall a Houston rapper did very well on the internet and now he has a major deal. Deals take so long that you will probly have new material by then.

I got to be fair to you your album is pretty damn good keep it up

check the site out http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/retrobeast
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

While were doin the kiss and make up thing. Your shits on the right track and very commercial. Same to you man.

That chicks the bomb!