What Mac apps will you lose in Mojave? Photoshop5 SOLVED

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What Mac apps will you lose in Mojave? Photoshop5 SOLVED

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For one, Photoshop CS5 crashes every time if you try to MOVE , or RESIZE and image. The instant crash happens as soon as you click on the screen.

Also, Quicken 2007 is approaching end of life, especially if you download from a financial institution. Some companies (such as Amex, such as...) require you to deauthorize and reauthorize web access. There's no way to do that in Q2007 so QFX files can't be downloaded. Otherwise Q2007 seems to be working fine.

I'll be looking for replacements to both apps. In the mean time, if you have InDesign CS5, that can still be used for DTP stuff.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: What Mac apps will you lose in Mojave? Photoshop5 and Qu

Post by cuttime »

Goofy interface but you may dig GIMP as a Photoshop replacement. For some reason the 2.10.18 version is not immediately available.

https://www.gimp.org
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I haven't lost anything that worked in Sierra, but I notice some older apps freeze up unless you keep the mouse moving. Usually happens when a file is being read: the progress bar stops moving, but moves normally if you jiggle the mouse.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

cuttime wrote:Goofy interface but you may dig GIMP as a Photoshop replacement. For some reason the 2.10.18 version is not immediately available.

Thanks
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tremo

Post by tremo »

OTOH, I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat CS6 (SIX) every day with no problems -- Mojave 10.14.6. But I have my doubts if there's any way to upgrade from CS5 to 6...?
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There are also offerings from Affinity. A little clunky compared the the Adobe stuff, but much better pricing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've been upgrading with an eye to Catalina but a few things gave me grief in Mojave, too.

SmartScore X2 Pro is pretty useless over Mojave. A 64 bit upgrade is out to some beta testers but I'm not one of them.

Photoshop Elements6, Office 2008 and 2011 will not install in Mojave but still work for me. Because of memory leaks in Mojave, I've now upgraded to Photoshop Elements19 and Office2019 (Home & Student is great as long as you don't need Outlook).

FileMakerPro 11 won't install but works as long as I don't change a layout—but I had the need to do just that. Buying FileMakerPro 16 on Amazon with an upgrade path to 18 (current version) is less expensive than just buying 18. Go figure. I wondered but tried it and Claris let me register. FMPro 16 works just fine for me—I may upgrade to 18 for Catalina but 16 appears to work over OS 10.15 as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TH ... UTF8&psc=1

Acrobat Pro X is fine over Mojave (again, won't install), no-go over Catalina. Ouch! unless you have an EDU email address.

I have an old HP c309a that can print CDs. DiskLabel from Smile was great but incompatible w/ Mojave. I've bought Cristallite's Mac CD DVD Maker but disliked it. Swift Publisher isn't as intuitive as DiskLabel but not only will it print CDs but can handle many other desktop publishing chores(!). Quite impressive for <$20.
https://www.swiftpublisher.com/

You already know about Finale.

For those of us with old MacDraw/MacPaint/ClarisDraw and graphics created in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, there hasn't been much we can do but I've found something. EazyDrawRetro is a 32 bit app that works over Mojave and earlier. It can convert those files to a proprietary format. EazyDraw is the 64bit version that can work with those converted files and isn't a half bad graphics program. $95 for a full license or $20 for a 9 month license with a $75 upgrade.
https://www.eazydraw.com/EazyDraw-Store.htm
Once purchased, you can email them for a license to activate the 32 bit Retro version and they will email it at no extra charge. Note: the Retro version will not work over Catalina and the 64 bit version cannot convert old Apple Draw and Paint files.

I upgraded to Toast 18 Pro to solve some Mojave issues and it works well. Bargains and coupons all over the internet.

TechTool Pro 12 upgrade adds some new tools that detected a potential issue with a 3+ year old 850 EVO so off that goes on Monday under warranty.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:Goofy interface but you may dig GIMP as a Photoshop replacement. For some reason the 2.10.18 version is not immediately available.

You might look at GraphicsConverter (from Lemke) too. Another Photoshop replacement.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Photoshop Elements6
I've been leery of Photoshop Elements. I bought it somewhere around V3, and later got a free copy of V9 with a cheap printer. It was almost identical to the version I had. Nothing to suggest it had gone through 6 paid upgrades. What does V19 do you can't do with 6? I noticed V19 isn't available anymore -- they're on to 2020, and it's quite expensive.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Correction: I do have Elements 20. I was getting ready to buy last year when Adobe emailed me that 20 was out and I pulled the trigger on a $79.99 intro offer.

Elements 3 stopped working with OS 10.3 or 10.4, IIRC — I remember having to go to 4 while still on the PPC. Photoshop Elements 6 worked forever and still does though it stopped installing ... after Mavericks, perhaps? Still works over Mojave because I pulled it over with Migration Assistant from my 2010 but does have a slight memory leak (nothing like Office 2008, though).

I've only upgraded when I needed to and went to 20 only because it would install over Catalina. Frankly, I'm comfortable with the workflow of 6 though the 64 bit version does have more tools. I've played with 20 enough to know that, when I finally go to 10.15, I'll get used to it quickly.

Expensive? I bought it bundled with Premiere Elements (video) for $79.99 on an intro offer. Frankly, I tend to do video in FCPx so I'm pretty sure the only reason I pulled the trigger on the bundle was to get Premiere for only $10 more. That $80 deal is now Student/Teacher but the non-EDU bundle is now $99.99 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop- ... ast_slp_dp

Otherwise, here's Photoshop Elements 20 for $69.99 from Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/adobe-phot ... Id=6366175

or Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/D36C ... D9A8BEA70A

Hmmm... According to Adobe, the $99.99 bundle price ends March 15. No idea if it will still be available on Amazon.
https://www.adobe.com/products/photosho ... ments.html
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I suppose 80 to 100 is not a huge amount once or twice, but it's had a lot of versions, and unless V20 is a big improvement over V9, it doesn't do much that much less expensive apps do.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I suppose 80 to 100 is not a huge amount once or twice, but it's had a lot of versions, and unless V20 is a big improvement over V9, it doesn't do much that much less expensive apps do.
I went from 6 to 20 only because of Catalina. 6 works over Mojave if pulled over but will not install. I suspect the same is true for 9.

Elements does not have an incremental upgrade path. Neither does it have a Subscription option like the full version of Photoshop. You buy a new license when the old version doesn’t work.

Elements lets me manipulate pdf files in ways that Acrobat Pro cannot (and vise versa). It saves me hours per week in my church work. Nowadays, I rarely use it in my day job (where Acrobat Pro shines).
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I went from 6 to 20 only because of Catalina. 6 works over Mojave if pulled over but will not install. I suspect the same is true for 9.
Elements lets me manipulate pdf files in ways that Acrobat Pro cannot (and vise versa). It saves me hours per week in my church work.
V9 came on a DVD -- it's that old, so the install is not likely to work on Mojave. I suppose I can try to move it over from a High Sierra iMac to a Mojave Mini, but if I recall Migration Assistant correctly, it doesn't give you any options on what to migrate. PE doesn't do much I need that other apps won't do, so perhaps this is something that will just keep running on the older Mac until it expires.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

A lot! More than I thought, but I had no choice because I am now unemployed for the first time in my life and now have to set up my home computer as a development machine and not just an audio production computer (I generally try to keep these two separate, for a gazillion reasons, the most important one being of differing levels of forgiveness on when you do OS upgrades). Most tools now require Catalina.

So far, I have deleted a few dozen old apps from my computer that no longer exist or now have expensive paid versions that get poor reviews and also don't get updated much.

I can't find my license for PListEdit Pro so installed the new version in trial mode and will pay once employed again.

HexEdit is gone forever. So are most of its alternatives. The one that still seems maintained and works on Catalina (and is also free) is called "Hex Fiend".

UnRarX is gone; I had no idea! I've had trouble with it anyway even on Mojave (as recently as last night; I did the Catalina upgrade this afternoon). But I had to install Keka a year or two anyway due to some vendors having trouble with UnRarX. Hopefully Keka will be enough on its own.

Scribus is gone, as are a few other specialty apps that mostly affect people who occasionally write PhD type papers. In general, desktop apps seem to be going the way of the dodo when it comes to macOS; some are replaced by $10 phone apps, or web apps (yuck; not good for workflow or productivity).

The Adobe apps all go away except for Lightroom, whose final perpetual license upgrade happened post-64-bit. My CS6 apps are useless now, and I rarely use Adobe apps other than Lightroom anyway (maybe once a year) so can't yet justify the cost of Creative Cloud; nor is there a loyalty discount.

Considering I had to re-buy it with every OS upgrade, I was upset to see QuickTime 7 go away forever. It's my quickest way to preview MIDI files. The vendor assumption is that MIDI is just for people on dial-up who can't even stream MP3's; it would never occur to them that they are part of a production workflow as opposed to old-school stand-ins for actual audio files from commercial albums.

I wish I'd seen this topic earlier, while I was still curating apps to update or exterminate. But I haven't done a second round of "Clean Trash" so can still look at that to find some of the others. I won't bother listing ones of limited interest that probably went away before Catalina anyway.
  • EasyWMA -- not really needed anymore anyway as every audio app can export WAV and MP# now

Encore (notation app) -- I never bought a license, so maybe it has a paid version for Catalina

Moog Voyager Editor and Patch Librarian -- from the awful SoundTower vendor, can ruin your hardware (I had to do a service call with Moog and it took man y iterations to undo the damage from this crappy software) -- no loss, but it cost $80 and isn't really maintained or updated

PCalc -- now has an app store version for $10; not sure I need it vs. built-in Calculator

Peterson Connect -- the only way to recharge certain Peterson strobe tuner, by USB cable only as they have no AA batteries, but now it is exclusively a Google Chrome add-in so I had to install Chrome

PList Edit Pro -- still the best PList editor?

Pref Setter -- not sure I was still using this vs. PList Edit Pro, or if it really had much more to offer

RealPlayer -- replaced by iOS-only RealTime from App Store

Scribus -- favoured by academics, for preparing dissertations and the like

UnRarX -- as mentioned earlier, no longer maintained for macOS; use Keka instead
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As for Finale, I can't remember if I paid recently for an upgrade, but thought I did.

It thinks it has launched, but shows no windows. I tried a few times, but didn't reboot one more time.

Perhaps I'll have to finally start eating my Doritos. :-)

Hmm, third time trying to launch, it asks to allow it to access the desktop, so maybe it's the usual dance with Finale where it takes several launches to fully bootstrap, with hardly any feedback the whole while (not even a spinning beach ball or an arrow indicating the app is launched, but hovering the dock icon shows it can be Force Quit).

UPDATE: Fourth time's the charm; it just took a REALLY long time. My scores look better now for some reason; maybe due to DPI scaling improvements in Catalina?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH