Program change / bank select for unknown or unspecified hard

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gminorcoles
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Program change / bank select for unknown or unspecified hard

Post by Gminorcoles »

Hi,
I have a korg kronos which I am trying to add to the hardware synths I am sequencing from DP. I also have a roland xv5080.

These two are the ones creating problems. The kronos has no instrument definition so I cannot do patch changes to it. The XV 5080 has patches listed, but I need to send MIDI data to the Performance template I setup, and there is no way to do that using the instrument definition for the XV.

I tried creating a generic instrument in bundles for the XV and not select a patch at all, but somehow a message is getting sent to the XV that is changing the patches in the multitimbral performance template.

In FL studio it seems less fancy but you can set a program and bank selection in the MIDI out template, it is really easy and once I calculated the MSB and LSB numbers for the kronos, there was no further problem.

Does anyone know how I can simply send program and bank changes to external synths even when the instrument definition is missing or incomplete?
CharlzS

Re: Program change / bank select for unknown or unspecified

Post by CharlzS »

For the Kronos, you can download the Kronos Editor from the Korg site. It outputs midnam files. Don't remember if it creates middev entries, but if not you can model one from the supplied MOTU definitions.

Not sure what you trying to do there, but try the midnam generated by the Roland Patch Script Builder here: https://www.roland.com/us/support/patch_script_builder/ It may define the instrument differently than the MOTU midnam.

As far as manually entering patch changes, you can create them in the Event List for the Track or draw/insert them in with the Pencil Tool in the Sequence Editor or at the bottom of the MIDI Editor. Click-hold the created patch change and a generic patch list will pop up. You can also edit them in the Info Bar (click the E circle) or open the Event Info window. There's most likely other options.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Gminorcoles

Post by Gminorcoles »

Thanks for that information.

The how do enter the correct information in the event list? I see what look like special characters there?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

In the Event List change the drop-down box to Patch Change and click the + button. If you click on 'unknown patch' or the patch # it will give you the generic list.

IMO, the easiest is in the SE click the Insert drop-down item for the track and select Patch Change which gives you the pencil. Click in the track where you want the patch change and then Win-E to show the Event Info to edit.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1