MIDI Keys bypassing MIDI Strip Inserts? [Quantize no work]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Keys bypassing MIDI Strip Inserts? [Quantize no work]

Post by rp88.2 »

I am having a problem with getting the Quantize insert on a MIDI track working with MIDI Keys (internal DP MIDI keyboard).

It seems that MIDI Keys is bypassing the inserts during recording.
[I am using MIDI Keys, so I don't need to carry a controller; obviously, I could 'paint' them in; but I would like to be able to record with Quantize for more complex patterns]

Here is my simple setup:
1) Add an instrument track w/options to use NI Battery.
2) On the Mixing Board add 'Quantize' to the Insert strip.
Set Quantize for attack, release and 1/16th - basically a strict 1/16 note Quantize.
3) Record enable the 'Drum' track
4) Record the bass/kick, snare, HH, etc. using MIDI Keys

When I view the events in the Event list, they are not strictly quantized. Instead of seeing something like: 1:1:000, 1:2:000 for the kick, I will see 1:1:046, 1:2:098, etc.

If I select the region and go Region->Quantize (1/16, Attack and Release), then everything looks right.

Thoughts on why the Quantize insert is not impacting the recording? MIDI routing issue? Insert strip setup?

Thank in advance!

Rich
cuttime

Re: MIDI Keys bypassing MIDI Strip Inserts? [Quantize no wor

Post by cuttime »

MIDI effects processing is non-destructive and only affects playback, not input. I think "Input Quantize" (Studio Menu) is what you want.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thank you cuttime! :D Input Quantize is what I was looking for.

I reread the section(s) on Quantize, Quantize effects and Input Quantize and did some more experimentation-- those are the differences, the MIDI effect is non-destructive; Input Quantize worked the way I needed it to.

Thank you again!

Rich
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Good deal! I had to read them again, too. It took me a while to rap my head around it all. The inserts DON'T affect the recorded MIDI track. (note to self).
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31