USB device not recognized/Motu Microbook II. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
vikas_1001
Primary DAW OS: Windows

USB device not recognized/Motu Microbook II. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by vikas_1001 »

Hi, I have a motu microbook II which have been using for the last 3 years and works perfectly on my macbook pro mid 2012 and Dell inspiron 1545 laptop(Windows 10). Now that I have assembled a new powerful PC (Windows 10) and installed the correct drivers for the microbook II, it doesn't work. Every time i connect the microbook II via usb to my pc I get the error USB Device Not Recognized. In device manager the error is Device Descriptor Request Failed. I have reinstalled the drivers and tried a lot but i can't get my PC to recognize the microbook. My pc is running on AMD Ryzen 3700X, 64 bit, win 10. the motherboard is B450 gaming pro carbon AC which has an onboard sound card. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in Advance.
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: USB device not recognized/Motu Microbook II. PLEASE HELP

Post by Kurt Cowling »

My only suggestion is to try using the power adapter that came with the unit. Not just the cable but the power adapter as well. An iPhone cube doesn’t put out enough juice. Possible your USB connection isnt providing (enough) power.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
vikas_1001

Post by vikas_1001 »

The motu microbook II does not have a power input. The motu microbook IIc does. My unit didn't come with an adapter.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Sorry. Yes I’m thinking of the IIc.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
mookhail

Post by mookhail »

Hey I just want to say I'm also having this issue.

A few months ago it was working fine.

I kinda suspect it was a Win10 update, as I hadn't changed MOTU driver/software version in ages, and it was working up until fairly recently.

Also, an aside, but there is no serial on the device, meaning I can't register a product via the MOTU website, and frankly as someone who only uses it once in a blue moon to practice guitar it's kinda unappealing having to go to that much effort (I could barely be even bothered to register here).

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Running the latest MOTU Microbook II installer as admin
- Running the latest MOTU Microbook II installer as admin with all combinations of options (firewire || pci || microbook, firewire && pci && microbook), etc
- Disabling the device in device manager, looking for updated drivers, pointing at the install directory (I don't think it can find the drivers from a .exe anyway)
- Installing random old versions of the MOTU Microbook II installer
- All USB ports available on my PC (5x) (some USB 2, some USB 3)
- Reinstalling Win10

The best/worst part - the device works on my fiances laptop which runs like total dog $#@% :) haha
Anyway my hopes of someone swooping in and understanding this well enough to help me resolve the issue is low, but hopefully this bumps it forward for someone else.

PC specs:
OS: Windows 10 home 64bit (all available updates installed - the issue??)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500X 6 core, 12 thread, model 8
RAM: 16GB, 1465.8 Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, A2
Mobo: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (MS-7B85)

Without a driver installed, plugging it in doesn't seem to do much, it shows up under "Other devices" in device manager with a warning/exclamation symbol, as MicroBookII.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

Updating driver does nothing.

After installing the MOTU Hardware, it moves to sit under "Sound, video and game controllers" as 'MOTU MicroBook', temporarily.
When I unplug/replug the device, it then gives me:

"USB device not recognized"
"The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctinoed and Windows does not recognise it"

Details from the unrecognised device in Windows:
"Unknown USB Device (Configuration Descriptor Request Failed)"
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
A request for the USB configuration descriptor failed."

Best of luck guys, I have had no luck with this
Karaiko

Post by Karaiko »

Bump!

I'm at a total loss. Disappointing to see that others have had no success.

I tried the same steps as listed above, even following the advice on motu.com for how to install on windows (installing the driver with it unplugged, rebooting with it plugged in).

Win 10 pro 64bit (build 18363)
AMD ryzen 5 1600 six-core processor

Same as above, sometimes it is recognised in device manager as microbook under sound and audio - but doesn't come up at all in sound settings/properties. When trying to run cuemix I get "No MOTU Audio Devices that support CueMix found".

Other times it has the usb device descriptor failed error.

Gah. So frustrating. At the point where I am considering that I will have to replace it, it seems.
vikas_1001

Re: USB device not recognized/Motu Microbook II. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by vikas_1001 »

I just realized this. All of us have one thing in common. Our computers are running with RYZEN processors.
Polsander

Post by Polsander »

So I built a new PC recently, with my processor being the Ryzen 5 3600x.

I too encountered this problem where my microbook II was not recognized at all by my computer, but I did end up getting it to work! I am quite unsure what I did so let me list out the steps of what I did.

1. Double Check and make sure your appropriate drivers are installed. Windows should tell you that the latest drivers are up to date (even if they can't recognize the device).

2. Restart your PC with your microbook ii plugged in.

-- At this point my computer still hasn't been able to recognize my microbook ii, until I did this final step ---

3. Unplug the USB cable from the back end of your computer, (Not from the microbook ii, but from your PC!). Then replug it into a DIFFERENT usb port on your computer. (I re plugged mine into the one that my USB webcam used to use).

At this point I didn't receive any notification of what got connected or anything that got disconnected from my computer. I assumed that my computer still couldn't detect it, so I went on youtube to load up a video on microbook ii problems and BAM! My ears were getting blasted from the headphones I was wearing through the Microbook II.

So I hope by following these steps, you guys and anyone else with this issue can resolve it :)

And since I have an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, the theory on Microbook II's not being compatible with AMD CPUs has been officially... debunked.
Tom_Si

Post by Tom_Si »

Alright guys I have a solution for everyone using a desktop computer.
What I did is I installed a cheap 18 euro PCI-E USB 3.0 Card specifically the LogiLink® PCI Express Card, 4x USB 3.0, and plugin it into there to bypass the AMD chipset. This seems to be working great! I can confirm this is an issue with Motu and the Ryzen chipset for some reason they don't seem to be great friends haha.

For everyone with a laptop you might (this isn't tested) be able to get a firewire to USB or maybe USB C to USB or Thunderbolt to USB adapter.

I hope this all saves you the trouble and stress I went through.

Specific system info:
I'm running a Ryzen R5 3600 in an Asrock b450 pro4 with an AMD Radeon R9 390 and 16 GB's of ram. My interface was a bit different, I'm running a Motu 8Pre-es but had the exact same problem as you guys!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tom_Si wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:58 am

For everyone with a laptop you might (this isn't tested) be able to get a firewire to USB or maybe USB C to USB or Thunderbolt to USB adapter.
Thanks for the update.

FW to Thunderbolt works. FW to USB does not.

USB-C is a port, not a protocol. Thunderbolt over USB-C is good as long as you have a compatible FW-TB adapter first and a USB-C cable that supports TB 3 (check the specs—most do not). Easy on the Mac using the Apple adapters but there seems to be no clear cut solution for Windows — unless you have one, then please let us know!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro