Cinematic Music and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
il picaro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Cinematic Music and DP

Post by il picaro »

Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask the community about your experience with large sample libraries for orchestra, special FX for film scores, and such.
I am about to start a big project and can't figure out a few things:

1. Is it easy to handle the Vienna libraries within DP?
2. Are there other top notch orchestra libraries that you would recommend instead?
3. Is Kontakt absolutely necessary, or can I get similar results with Machfive?
(many film composers who work with lots of libraries seem to prefer Kontakt)

Any advice and suggestion will be most welcome.
Thank you as always,
A presto
Enrico
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Cinematic Music and DP

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi Enrico,

Although I do have DP on both the PC and Mac, most of my work is on the Mac. But because DP works the same way on both platforms (mostly, anyway), I think I can offer you some advice.

The Vienna libraries should work fine, as long as they and your other libraries are installed correctly. You ask if they are easy to handle. I would say yes, as long as you learn how to use Vienna's sampler (all samplers have a bit of a learning curve). One plug for Vienna's products is Vienna MIR Pro, which I use exclusively for positioning the instruments in the sound field and for reverb. It's not cheap, but it's great for simulating the sound of a stage or a studio.

Other library companies: A big plug for Cinesamples. I think I own 16 of their libraries. Great sound and interface, and they're right here in the US.

Other notable companies are Orchestral Tools in Berlin, Spitfire Audio in England, Project Sam in Amsterdam (if you like working with ensembles), and Audiobro's L.A.S.S. for Strings (they also have choir, percussion, and brass libraries). All of these companies have great sounding libraries.

All of the libraries I mentioned run on Kontact (not Vienna). I think Kontact runs well, and I use it almost exclusively. Machfive will not work with these libraries. In fact, Machfive seems like a dead sampler at this point. MOTU hasn't upgraded it in years. Machfive only runs MOTU's libraries, which are kind of dated now.

Good luck with your music.

Mike in Boston
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

To clarify what Mike said, Virtual Instruments require players and will not work without them. Some will only work with one—the manufacturer will tell you which. Likewise, some players are included with VI libraries while others are not. The VIs you want will determine the players you need and not the other way around.

Kontakt can be confusing. Kontakt Player is free but cannot run libraries not registered with Native Instruments for use with it. Kontakt is a paid sampler and player—if a VI maker requires Kontakt, then Kontakt Player will run it only in demo mode for a few minutes.

MachFive3 is MOTU’s custom version of an old UVI sampler/synth/player. It will load a number of old VI types but newer UVI and Kontakt libraries will not work in it. Buy it if you want the instrument but not as a VI player — too old and obsolete. The latest version of that instrument is UVI’s Falcon but it won’t load many of the old VI types that MachFive could. No matter, there is no VI that MV3 can load that nothing else can. In fact, with DP 10, MV3’s old VI library is available to for use in the free UVI player (you don’t get the sampling synth, just the included VIs).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Slightly o/t ? for the o/p: is the final product going to be VIs or will you be hiring real musicians to play it?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
il picaro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by il picaro »

Thanx guys for the precious info, as usual.
I did get the sense that MachFive has become pretty useless, unless I tweak some of its texture sounds to make them as personalized as possible, but no real use for realistic pianos, strings, woodwinds, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Slightly o/t ? for the o/p: is the final product going to be VIs or will you be hiring real musicians to play it?
The final project will have some live players soloing above textures and backing orchestrations, so the idea is not to mock a full orchestra as much, but to create some interesting landscapes for the soloists to play over.

Thanx again,
Enrico
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Simple: Get Kontakt.