New Bugs in DP 1011 (current latest version)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New Bugs in DP 1011 (current latest version)

Post by jsg »

For those who use Quickscribe, check out the margin adjustment feature, it is totally broken. Worked well in every other version, now, when you use your mouse to change the margins it behaves very poorly.

Also, I am experiencing frequent crashes. Not while using the program, but when exiting it. Sometimes it even brings Windows 10 down.

Any tips on going back to an earlier DP version? Can I open files in earlier versions created in the current one? Should I uninstall DP completely?

Seems like every time MOTU fixes bugs they create new ones. Frustrating...

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Bugs in DP 1011 (current latest version)

Post by HCMarkus »

This latest update seems to have involved significant changes to the coding underlying the audio engine and GUI. For me (on a Mac), the improvements have been well worth the relatively small issues I've had to deal with but, as is clear from the variety of bugs people have described here at MOTUNation, we all use the program differently and have thus been inconvenienced to varying degrees.

So far, for me, as soon as a couple of third party plugin issues get resolved, I'll be sailing smoothly with the wind at my back. Hopefully MOTU is able to quickly address the issues others find problematic. Definitely report to MOTU via TechLink when you find a problem!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well, I saw the margin thing this afternoon...
I've been searching a way to get a larger upper margin in first page.
Not enough place for title, date, author, composer, ...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm seeing this on MacOS as well. I can increase the upper margin, but not decrease it. I can't change the side margins at all. Off to Techlinks...
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I'm so thankful Dp fixed its ramp automation bug. I can now paste automated sections around to my hearts content without creating unintended automation ramping. Well done MOTU!!!

However...lol,
There's a small bug.
If I select a section with automation in it and drag it forward or backwards and let go, DP creates some nutty, jagged automation here and there. It looks like it attempts to make the hard ramps programmed into the new automation fix in 10.11. It just isn't quite succeeding in doing so, It make new hard ramps to avoid long automation ramps, but there are jagged sawtooth lines too. Looks like the program needs a tweak in this area.

But Overall, DP 10.11 has been a godsend for me and I give 1000 thank you's to the MOTU crew!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Stoked would probably be an understatement, eh TDH? :D
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote:Stoked would probably be an understatement, eh TDH? :D
Yeah. I’ve been wanting to post for a while, but I’ve been very busy. And I’ve been waiting for something to go wrong. Lol I didn’t want to poat and then find something broke really bad LOL. All in all, I’m very happy. Now if we could just do snapshot on third-party plug-ins without tabbing through parameters to register values with DP, now that would be fantastic.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote:I'm so thankful Dp fixed its ramp automation bug. I can now paste automated sections around to my hearts content without creating unintended automation ramping. Well done MOTU!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

REALLY??

That alone would make me get DP10 right now and sing loudly with delight!

So I take it you've put DP's mixing/automation new capabilities to severe tests with your mixes and you are happy about the result?

Does it work equally well when snipping heavily automated sections?

What about Waves' plugins? Do the numerical values shown in DP now show the TRUE values and not that numerical nonsense anymore?

What about RELIABLE automation reading?
That was one of your biggest pet peeves. Does DP10 now read your "brute-force - all-parameter - crazy heavy-handed" ( :mrgreen: ) automation techniques reliably every time?

So do you put your TDH seal of approval regarding those issues, or not quite yet?

What little I've seen and heard about DP10 so far, it definitely seems like MOTU took a leap (not step) in the right direction! :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You know they have demo versions you can try? Instead of wondering, isn't it better to know?

DP 10.11 is working very well here. I don't use QS, not ever, but haven't run into any issues except the iOS 13 plug loss, which is easily remedied.

So what are you waiting for, FM?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You know they have demo versions you can try? Instead of wondering, isn't it better to know?
Of course! I've been so disconnected that I forgot about that little detail. I suppose my mind has been filtering out stuff that doesn't apply to me in the moment.
Since when do we have DP demo versions anyway?

I'll download it and test drive it. I probably also update to Mojave or Catalina (I'm still in El Capitan :lol: )

Thanks for the reminder :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You know they have demo versions you can try? Instead of wondering, isn't it better to know?
Of course! I've been so disconnected that I forgot about that little detail. I suppose my mind has been filtering out stuff that doesn't apply to me in the moment.
Since when do we have DP demo versions anyway?

I'll download it and test drive it. I probably also update to Mojave or Catalina (I'm still in El Capitan :lol: )

Thanks for the reminder :)
Go Mojave! Wait for Catalina, unless you really want to dig in.

And set up a new Boot Drive or Partition to test DP10.11 with!
If you install over your existing DP version, that version will almost certainly be hosed. I used Migration Assistant to port data to my DP10 SSD with great results.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:
I'll download it and test drive it.
Just remember to install it on another partition, or be prepared to re-install earlier versions should you decide to revert.

P.S. HCM beat me to the post.
Last edited by cuttime on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

toodamnhip wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Stoked would probably be an understatement, eh TDH? :D
Yeah. I’ve been wanting to post for a while, but I’ve been very busy. And I’ve been waiting for something to go wrong. Lol I didn’t want to poat and then find something broke really bad LOL. All in all, I’m very happy. Now if we could just do snapshot on third-party plug-ins without tabbing through parameters to register values with DP, now that would be fantastic.
Time to update your signature? :dance:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Catalina (the OS) es no bueno (excuse my Spanish, my native language is music). The island of Catalina is fantastic. The OS AFAIK no longer supports 32 bit apps. My understanding is that MANY app (not just music) will go south when that happens. I know at least one person on the forum I'm in regular touch with who is forced to go there on a new machine so if he/she reports on results that are not reported here, I'll relay them.

But the clear consensus is DON'T go there. And if you have an iOS 13 Apple device, plugging it in to a Sierra OS will trash your plugins.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66786

There's a fix, but I moved to Mojave (See thread above) and it still happened. All seems fine now but setup wireless sync on your devices before making the upward move in the OS. At least that's my view of things.

Mojave is nice and I love the dark mode. It really help visibility in a darker space (studio, theater, etc). And it's much easier on the eyes!

You PHOTO app (Apple) will update your photos to some new format and the directory structure of the OS is apparently very different from the old one, but now I'm telling you more than I already (actually) know.

Demo version, BTW, have been around since about ver 9, I think. Maybe 8? And di you know the manual is now a PDF! Man how I miss hunting trolls.

:rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Demo version, BTW, have been around since about ver 9, I think. Maybe 8? And di you know the manual is now a PDF! Man how I miss hunting trolls.
Yeah, that one about the PDF manual did catch my mind's attention ... I do miss hunting for pirates too :arrrr:

Thank you guys for the heads-up regarding DP installation versions and OSs 8)