.m4a audio files when did DP become able to import?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ed belknap
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

.m4a audio files when did DP become able to import?

Post by ed belknap »

iow, presuming that Digital Performer is even now able to import and use .m4a audio files with the same ease it handles .wav or .aif files (is it?) with which version/rev did Digital Performer gain that ability?

I'm of course being somewhat coy; what I really want to know is, can I import .m4a files into the ridiculously antiquated version of DP which I'm running ...which, since I haven't run it in over a year I can't even remember what version/rev it is! Probably 4.5x [edit: It's 4.61]

I know, I should just fire up the old Mac and try it, but I figured someone here might know whether that'll be a fruitless effort and spare me the time.

Thanks.
David Polich

Re: .m4a audio files when did DP become able to import?

Post by David Polich »

DP has been able to import m4a audio since
DP7, I think (could be wrong on that). A number
of years, at any rate.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

.mp4 includes more than one file type. It can be mp4a Apple Lossless (16–24 bit), mp4r Ringtone, mp4b AudioBook. Plain mp4 is Apple's version of .mp3 with compression rates from 128k–320k.

There's no way I would use it in DP without converting to .wav first. This can be done in iTunes, DSP-Q or other apps. I use TwistedWave which can batch convert a few hours of mp4a files in a minute or two and sort it into folders if I want.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:There's no way I would use it in DP without converting to .wav first. This can be done in iTunes, DSP-Q or other apps.
Please explain. Doesn't DP convert a m4a file to whatever format your project uses, probably .wav, anyway? Why would you convert it before using it in DP? And I don't think you can't actually use m4a as the file format in a project.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:There's no way I would use it in DP without converting to .wav first. This can be done in iTunes, DSP-Q or other apps.
Please explain. Doesn't DP convert a m4a file to whatever format your project uses, probably .wav, anyway? Why would you convert it before using it in DP? And I don't think you can't actually use m4a as the file format in a project.
Time is the main reason. Even with my iMP, DP takes awhile to do the conversion. Doing it beforehand is faster. Conversely, I never, ever let DP convert to mp3 or mp4. The last time I did that on a project, it took nearly an hour vs 4 minutes in TwistedWave (this was on my 2010 iMac) — ok, it was a 3 hours of audio but lesson learned.

The other is that DP is very sensitive to file types being imported—a corrupted Audio file header can completely screw up a project in ways I hope that no one else experiences. Last time that happened to me, APFS Snapshots was the only thing that saved me from having to do an 8 hour Time Machine restore (turned out the files were aiff-c recorded direct to a CD Recorder) but I was already 4 hours into it before I figured out the problem.

Most of the work I do involves files that I do not generate. Doing the conversion and rewriting the headers TwistedWave is very fast and eliminates all that as an issue ... which brings me back to Time.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Please explain. Doesn't DP convert a m4a file to whatever format your project uses, probably .wav, anyway? Why would you convert it before using it in DP?
Time is the main reason. Even with my iMP, DP takes awhile to do the conversion. Doing it beforehand is faster. Conversely, I never, ever let DP convert to mp3 or mp4. The last time I did that on a project, it took nearly an hour vs 4 minutes in TwistedWave (this was on my 2010 iMac) — ok, it was a 3 hours of audio but lesson learned.
Something is not working right then. I was surprised by your answer so I just opened up an empty DP project on my 2011 MBP. I dragged a m4a file (3:29 mins long) from the iTunes lib into the Tracks window. It imported in a second, two seconds at the most, to a 44.1/24 55M Wav file. Then I exported the soundbite to a 256K MP3 using LAME. That took 40 seconds. Longer than I expected but not excessive. Then an export from wav to m4a. That took about 5 seconds.

Doing the same with DSP-Q V 5 took about 3 seconds to import the same m4a, maybe 20 seconds to export an MP3 (faster than DP) and about the same 5 seconds to export an m4a. Looks lot me like both DP and DSP are passing m4a exports off to the OS X audio routines.

I do use DSP-Q to export to MP3, not to save time, but mainly because I usually drag every mix or export from DP, Logic or Mixbus into DSP-Q to look over the wave, look at peaks, and do any final tweaks. But otherwise I don't see any reason not to use DP for m4a files, in or out, and for MP3 the difference is not significant unless you are dealing with dozens of files hours long.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

3:24 minute songs are not my normal gig. Sometimes they are but that's rare.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:3:24 minute songs are not my normal gig. Sometimes they are but that's rare.
My point was it took no longer to read into DP than any other audio file.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

mikehalloran wrote:.mp4 includes more than one file type. It can be mp4a Apple Lossless (16–24 bit), mp4r Ringtone, mp4b AudioBook. Plain mp4 is Apple's version of .mp3 with compression rates from 128k–320k.
Mike, I hate to say but this is incorrect, though I can understand the confusion. The ".mp#" monicker is exceedingly confusing. MPEG1 was container format for audio/video. "MP3" is shorthand for "Layer 3" the most widely-used audio codec for the MPEG1 container. Then came MPEG2, which is a new container version, but targeted specifically at the pro video world. Their next container version jumped a number (since MP3 was already known world-wide) and was called MPEG4. This time, they named the default lossy audio codec AAC.

So, in short:

- MP3 is a codec. If you say MP3, you know you're getting an MPEG1 container file with the Layer3 audio compression. Files with the ".mp3" extension are audio only.

- MP4 is a CONTAINER. Files with that extension likely have video (but not necessarily). Audio-only files typically use the extension ".m4a" or ".aac". However, all three of these files are the exact same format and can contain the same data, they're just used as markers.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And then there's this...

https://videoconverter.iskysoft.us
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS