Stylus Noise

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stylus Noise

Post by bayswater »

I'm looking for a sample of the noise of a stylus in a groove. All I can find on line is exaggerated clicks, scratches, pops, etc. I'm looking for the sound of a clean record with a good stylus that you get at maybe -55db in the "silent" part of a vinyl recording.

Anyone know where to get one? I can always dig out my old turntable and sample it, but maybe there's a suitable sample out the in public domain land.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toofar

Re: Stylus Noise

Post by toofar »

I think you'll have to register for the use of the site, but there are some good ones here:
https://freesound.org/search/?g=1&q=sty ... mmons+0%22
These are the CC0 selections, but there are others.
iMac 3.2GHz 6-core i7 & Mojave | Audient iD14 | DP 10.0.1 | MIDI Express XT | G4 dual 1 ghz MDD & Tiger | 2408 mk3 (x2) | A-500 PRO | Rosetta 200 | Toft ATC-2 | Mackie VLZ3 | JBLs | DP 4.6 | Live | 'n stuff
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. Much closer to what I was looking for. I might be able to mix a couple of these to get what I want.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks, but I've had Vinyl for a long time. It doesn't do what I was looking for, just the sound of the needle in the groove sans dust, scratches, pops, etc., pretty much devoid of transients, and that's what got me started on this search.
toofar

Post by toofar »

I was gonna mention Vinyl too, but the system requirements weren't up to snuff. Maybe they just don't refresh that page anymore; been around a long time.
iMac 3.2GHz 6-core i7 & Mojave | Audient iD14 | DP 10.0.1 | MIDI Express XT | G4 dual 1 ghz MDD & Tiger | 2408 mk3 (x2) | A-500 PRO | Rosetta 200 | Toft ATC-2 | Mackie VLZ3 | JBLs | DP 4.6 | Live | 'n stuff
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Vinyl the plugin still works under Mojave but doesn't cut the mustard for this task. It can be fun, but doesn't provide the true character of the vinyl noise that at least a few remember with a combination of love and disgust.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:Vinyl the plugin still works under Mojave but doesn't cut the mustard for this task. It can be fun, but doesn't provide the true character of the vinyl noise that at least a few remember with a combination of love and disgust.
Exactly. What I remember is the sense of space during pauses that were in theory silent, where you couldn't really hear anything. That's what I want to try for.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Vinyl the plugin still works under Mojave but doesn't cut the mustard for this task. It can be fun, but doesn't provide the true character of the vinyl noise that at least a few remember with a combination of love and disgust.
Exactly. What I remember is the sense of space during pauses that were in theory silent, where you couldn't really hear anything. That's what I want to try for.
Yea, Vinyl can’t do that. Back in the day, I had a Philips transcription turntable and preamp with a noise gate designed to eliminate that noise between tracks. They were discards from a radio station where I worked in the ‘70s.

I don’t think the noise was the sound of a bare stylus in an unmodulated channel as much as it was the actual rumble of the turntable. If you remember, wow and rumble specs were part of any turntable and rim drive platters like this Philips and every Rek–O–Cut were much worse than belt and direct drive hi-fi platters You bought for home use. A good rim drive could get to full rotation in 1/4 turn or less. That unit used a cone shaped capstan that was continuously variable between 10–90 rpm.and could accommodate 16” records. Impressive but noisy.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I don’t think the noise was the sound of a bare stylus in an unmodulated channel as much as it was the actual rumble of the turntable. If you remember, wow and rumble specs were part of any turntable and rim drive platters like this Philips and every Rek–O–Cut were much worse than belt and direct drive hi-fi platters You bought for home use. A good rim drive could get to full rotation in 1/4 turn or less. That unit used a cone shaped capstan that was continuously variable between 10–90 rpm.and could accommodate 16” records. Impressive but noisy.
Yes, rumble is usually there, but I'd be filtering a lot of that. The sound I want, I'm sure, is the stylus in the groove. A very low level broadband rushing sound that is everywhere and far away at the same time. On a good system you need the volume up quite high to hear it. A bit of wow is part of the experience too, but I can simulate that pretty easily. If I had the synth skills, I could probably simulate the stylus noise too.