Does DP support 'varispeed'?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hang
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Does DP support 'varispeed'?

Post by hang »

I'm considering switching from Reaper/Ableton Live to DP as I see that since 10.x DP supports the workflows I use from both apps (trad linear audio recording - clip based recording/performance).

One feature I use very much in Reaper is full project varispeed; the ability to change the pitch/time as if it were a tape machine. I noticed there were *many* new related features added from 9.5 on, but I can't tell if this is supported. I've watched a bunch of videos on 9.5, 10, and 10.1 and I can't tell if this is something I could do. I've seen just about every pitch/time type of feature demonstrated, but not this.

I'm also trying to find the demo of 10.0 but I've only been able to find a purchase page... I'll keep looking.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Does DP support 'varispeed'?

Post by dix »

Unfortunately, DP does not have varispeed. You'd need to go back to Ableton or Reaper (the DAW whose name shall not be written :)) for varispeed work. I know it's not the same at all, but DP does have arguably the best pitch and time-stretching algorithms in the biz.

I believe if you go to the MOTU downloads page, the version downloaded from there will let you run DP10.1 in demo mode. I hope you check it out! Please let us know if you have any questions.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
hang
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by hang »

Thank you for the info! I did manage to find the demo and will try it out soon. With all the great pitch related features they seem to have added, maybe there is hope for true varispeed in a future release. :)
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

There are those that will disagree, but I'll say this anyway:

There is varispeed now. If you 'set soundbites tempo to sequence tempo', and use the conductor track to change the sequence tempo, if the tracks are in the proper mode, we could call that varispeed.
As far as having a virtual knob, it's not exactly like that, but it's a lot closer to being able to use it like that than it used to be when I and others first asked for that feature.

Check out the 3rd party plug-in PitchWheel by QuickQuake (not kidding) for use in DP too. (edit: I didn't realize this was the Windows flavor - not sure if Pitchwheel is available other than for Mac. It may be...)
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
dix

Post by dix »

tommymandel wrote:There are those that will disagree, but I'll say this anyway:

There is varispeed now. If you 'set soundbites tempo to sequence tempo', and use the conductor track to change the sequence tempo, if the tracks are in the proper mode, we could call that varispeed.
As far as having a virtual knob, it's not exactly like that, but it's a lot closer to being able to use it like that than it used to be when I and others first asked for that feature.

Check out the 3rd party plug-in PitchWheel by QuickQuake (not kidding) for use in DP too. (edit: I didn't realize this was the Windows flavor - not sure if Pitchwheel is available other than for Mac. It may be...)
I'll be one that disagrees I guess. You can indeed vary the speed of audio in DP with good results thanks to DP's licensed time stretching technology, but "varispeed" is a term that refers to time and pitch.

I was about to say that the flavor of varispeed you mention, along with the relative pitch change, using DP's algorithms doesn't sound as good as good ol' fashioned varispeed, but I don't know that. A side by side comparison of audio that uses traditional varispeed with audio processed with pitch and time algorithms would be interesting.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Isn't that what Logic Pro is for? That and hosting full automation for AutoTune...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

mikehalloran wrote:Isn't that what Logic Pro is for? That and hosting full automation for AutoTune...
Oh. Does Logic Pro have varispeed? Guess I missed a memo!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just saw that Logic has varispeed (pitch & tempo) as well as tempo only, and appears to have some way of doing it with MIDI (pitch?).

Most of my search results said you can't automate the varispeed.

I'm also curious if you could record whilst in varispeed -- as you can with tape-based varispeed-- such that recording at low/slow speed plays back high/fast, and vice versa (a la "In my Life" piano solo).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

stubbsonic wrote:
I'm also curious if you could record whilst in varispeed -- as you can with tape-based varispeed-- such that recording at low/slow speed plays back high/fast, and vice versa (a la "In my Life" piano solo).
Pro Tools has (or had) 1/2 speed playback, and if that includes 1/2 speed record, (which is my guess for the piano solo in In My Life - along with one-hand-at-a-time...) it would mean that The Beatles had Pro Tools WAY ahead of anyone else. No fair! :wink:

:koolaid: WISHING ALL MOTU USERS a HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON :koolaid:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"