Admiral Bumblebee's quick overview of DP 10.1 improvements

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Admiral Bumblebee's quick overview of DP 10.1 improvements

Post by terrybritton »

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Admiral Bumblebee's quick overview of DP 10.1 improvemen

Post by BobK »

Thanks for posting this!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That all looks promising.

I wonder if 10.1 fixes the stupidity with selection that has been a problem for many versions.

I guess I could try a demo version and test it.

I like the other improvements I was seeing-- though not many of them are ones I would need right away. I especially liked seeing a long list of bug fixes!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:stupidity with selection
??
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

bayswater wrote:
??
I know what you mean. I always inexplicably get stupider after making a selection, and never understood why. Like deleting stuff instead of copying.

Or maybe I don't???

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

terrybritton wrote:
bayswater wrote:
??
I know what you mean. I always inexplicably get stupider after making a selection, and never understood why. Like deleting stuff instead of copying.

Or maybe I don't???

Terry
That sort of stupidity didn't get fixed. At least not on my setup.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Seriously, though...

First, at some point, there was no grid on the lasso-- so you could select gridlessly (catching any early notes). The DP changed it so that every your selection snapped (as if I don't know what I want to select). That was a while ago. Ok, so I just ALWAYS have to turn grid off when I select. Annoying, not tragic.

Second, and what's stupid, is that when I drag a lasso to select some notes, they change color to show which ones will be selected after I release the mouse. However, after I release the mouse the notes that are selected aren't always the same as those that were highlighted before the mouse button was released.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Seriously, though...

First, at some point, there was no grid on the lasso-- so you could select gridlessly (catching any early notes). The DP changed it so that every your selection snapped (as if I don't know what I want to select). That was a while ago. Ok, so I just ALWAYS have to turn grid off when I select. Annoying, not tragic.

Second, and what's stupid, is that when I drag a lasso to select some notes, they change color to show which ones will be selected after I release the mouse. However, after I release the mouse the notes that are selected aren't always the same as those that were highlighted before the mouse button was released.
I've only got 10.1 now, so probably can't reproduce this. In a quick test, whatever gets a colour change, is selected. If the grid is off, If the lasso touches any part of the note, it is selected. If the grid is on, notes within the grid range of the lasso are also selected regardless of whether the lasso touches them. I think there is a preference to change this so the "touch any part of the note" feature is not active and it goes back to the way it worked before 10.1 (with luck, without the error you noted).
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

@stubbsonic yes, those two points qualify as stupid, but I feel it is likely only the start of a long list of stupid soon to follow.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

terrybritton wrote:@stubbsonic yes, those two points qualify as stupid, but I feel it is likely only the start of a long list of stupid soon to follow.
It's entirely possible that this glitch might have been addressed as there are lots of changes to the way selection works. But yea, there are little hints of "new stupid" in the threads. Still, it's early days for 10.1

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote:
terrybritton wrote:@stubbsonic yes, those two points qualify as stupid, but I feel it is likely only the start of a long list of stupid soon to follow.
It's entirely possible that this glitch might have been addressed as there are lots of changes to the way selection works. But yea, there are little hints of "new stupid" in the threads. Still, it's early days for 10.1
OK let me qualify this from the start, all software has bugs, the end user is not always at fault. That's a given.

That said, going off other users on a forum, before you try a version of some software isn't going to result in facts being spread. Sometimes it is the end user, and I think all of us have experienced glitches before the dust settles when installing a new version of a DAW or other piece of software with the amount of dependancies that DAWs have.

I know I should do this, but often I forget, I install the DAW update or upgrade, and I forget to update my plug ins to the latest versions, experience crashes or glitches bugs etc. When I do update my plug ins and other related software like MIDI and audio drivers etc. it tends to fix a lot of issues, as you might expect. I've had older plug ins and drivers cause issues with DAW upgrades in the past, including a mouse driver from Logitech that caused sync issues even.

I'm not saying all people complaining of issues have not updated everything etc. just that recognizing that issues like bugs that not everyone has, are obviously being caused by DP's interaction with third party software, and sometimes there are easy solutions. This isn't possible to discern on internet forums from DP update bugs caused by DP itself.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Kudos to Robert for the review. He devotes an amazing amount of time and energy to theses sorts of things, and I admire him for it.

He contributed for a while here and IIRC started a systematised bug-report thread, but alas, I think he was scared away by some of the more-aggressive wildlife.

The home of the Unicorn is not all fluffy bunnies and roses; it's a sanctuary, sure, but a wildlife sanctuary at that. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:The home of the Unicorn is not all fluffy bunnies and roses; it's a sanctuary, sure, but a wildlife sanctuary at that. :lol:
Rumour has it Attenborough has joined under a pseudonym and is doing a six-parter.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well Stoivo, if he tries to mimic Magilla and me Dian Fossey-style, that ain't gonna cut it.

I mean, at the very least he's gonna have to wear a gorilla jumpsuit; you've gotta fall out of your tree pretty early in the morning to fool we Unicorn Simians. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Well Stoivo, if he tries to mimic Magilla and me Dian Fossey-style, that ain't gonna cut it.

I mean, at the very least he's gonna have to wear a gorilla jumpsuit; you've gotta fall out of your tree pretty early in the morning to fool we Unicorn Simians. :?
He's staging the birth of a baby monkey. I'm doing the sound, and could use some samples of shrieking if you have any to spare.