Camera: It sounds like I go up, but it looks like I go down

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Camera: It sounds like I go up, but it looks like I go down

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi guys.

I'm stumped and embarrassed to ask such a stupid question, but you guys with cams perhaps can tell me what's going on...

So these 2 Logitech C270 webcams work great for my Skype piano lessons, but the video looks very weird... I play a scale going up, but the video records it with me going down :?

Also, if I play like a b major scale, the KEYS of the piano look inverted/mirrored, so instead of seeing CDEFGABC you see CBAGFEDC going up, and it's a trip to see this.

This doesn't happen always. But it just did this past weekend, and I'm so annoyed my lesson was recorded that way. Of course the cameras were NOT upside down or anything else (I set them from my POV).

This never happened before... What's going on and how can I fix this?? :oops:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Camera: It sounds like I go up, but it looks like I go d

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Place the cam above, not to the side. If from the side, from the right side.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Place the cam above, not to the side. If from the side, from the right side.
Yes! I use 2 cams: one above and one to my right side. And this time both look mirrored...

Especially the one I placed on my right side: it recorded as if I was facing the other way and took it from the other side :?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Weird.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Skype generally expects the camera to be in front of the person looking back at them. Thus, it creates a mirror image. I don't know if there's a way to turn it around in Skype, but what if you position the camera in front of the pianist. What you really need is that forward-looking camera capability like phones have.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Weird.
I know! :lol:

Look here, I posted a snippet in YT:

bkshepard wrote:Skype generally expects the camera to be in front of the person looking back at them. Thus, it creates a mirror image. I don't know if there's a way to turn it around in Skype, but what if you position the camera in front of the pianist. What you really need is that forward-looking camera capability like phones have.
But that's the thing... I see his piano correctly from the teacher's camera in the Skype session. And it only happened during this session with that new camera angle I tried.

In the video linked above, that's supposed to be my left hand playing a C major scale... I also should be facing the other way. Even the keys seem all inverted. This is a screen capture by ScreenFlow for the Skype lesson. The other camera that seems fine was a direct capture from that app.