DP/ Avid Artist Series Controllers Users / Eucon

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP/ Avid Artist Series Controllers Users / Eucon

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi All.

I know this has been discussed before, but in the current state of DP, Mac OS, and Eucon, what is your experience with the hit ( if there even IS a hit?) that using Eucon and an Artist Series controller have on your Mac's performance, CPU, latency, track-count, etc?

I'm on DP 9.52, Mojave, with an coffee-can Mac Pro.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
darrell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP/ Avid Artist Series Controllers Users / Eucon

Post by darrell »

I'd like to know the answer to this also.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

Bought an Artist today to be the guinea pig. Will report back.
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

I wish I could play this game too, but MOTU still won't let Windows users have EUCON.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mrgkeys wrote:Bought an Artist today to be the guinea pig. Will report back.
Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing of your experience!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

so where to begin... I got this one for PT work, and just happy that DP supports Eucon :-)

It works out of the box for the most part, just enable the EuCon driver, and DP's track names pop up. you can bank by groups of 8, nudge one track at a time to get a group of 8 together, or bank to the either end of the mixing board.

the auxes and insert stuff works like Mackie Control, which i care nothing about, seems counterintuitive now, but the basics are there and you can edit plugin parameters with the pan knobs.

I noticed right away the extra resolution you get vs HUI/Mackie on the faders, and that's impressive having used Mackie controls of some kind for 20+ years. It feels much more fine.

It's built like a tank, although I'm sure AVID is phasing them out. this one was 675 new at vintagekIng.

seems to be zero hit on my CPU. activity monitor says EuCon app in background is using 0.75% of 4 cores at 4 ghz. 2016 iMac 5k. It's less than half the cpu the motunation page takes up in safari :-)

It does not have track meters like it does in PT, though I'm guessing DP could add that if they wanted to code it. And no Time Code display. Not a deal breaker for me.

Artis Mix has "shift keys" on either side, will allow you to use the transport features. all works except the PREV and NEXT for markers. If you have a highly customized keyboard command set with DP like me, its much faster to just use that. Think I have about 90% of the keys mapped to something, Bite Gain, Click, Loop, Marker prev and next, zoom levels, sidebars on and off... etc.

very happy with it.. the Pro Tools integration is off the hook though. Amazing really.

There's a lot of things that COULD be coded into DP for this. Holding my breath for that DP 10.X update since October..... I know AVID doesn't charge a fee for using EuCon, I guess the installed base is just not that big. Digi and Motu go way back before Avid bought them.. Anyone besides me old enough to remember when DP WAS the software for the Digidesign hardware?

ok, off to the dentist for a root canal. Really ;-( if you have specific questions ask away and I'll answer when I can.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mrgkeys wrote:so where to begin... I got this one for PT work, and just happy that DP supports Eucon :-)

It works out of the box for the most part, just enable the EuCon driver, and DP's track names pop up. you can bank by groups of 8, nudge one track at a time to get a group of 8 together, or bank to the either end of the mixing board.

the auxes and insert stuff works like Mackie Control, which i care nothing about, seems counterintuitive now, but the basics are there and you can edit plugin parameters with the pan knobs.

I noticed right away the extra resolution you get vs HUI/Mackie on the faders, and that's impressive having used Mackie controls of some kind for 20+ years. It feels much more fine.

It's built like a tank, although I'm sure AVID is phasing them out. this one was 675 new at vintagekIng.

seems to be zero hit on my CPU. activity monitor says EuCon app in background is using 0.75% of 4 cores at 4 ghz. 2016 iMac 5k. It's less than half the cpu the motunation page takes up in safari :-)

It does not have track meters like it does in PT, though I'm guessing DP could add that if they wanted to code it. And no Time Code display. Not a deal breaker for me.

Artis Mix has "shift keys" on either side, will allow you to use the transport features. all works except the PREV and NEXT for markers. If you have a highly customized keyboard command set with DP like me, its much faster to just use that. Think I have about 90% of the keys mapped to something, Bite Gain, Click, Loop, Marker prev and next, zoom levels, sidebars on and off... etc.

very happy with it.. the Pro Tools integration is off the hook though. Amazing really.

There's a lot of things that COULD be coded into DP for this. Holding my breath for that DP 10.X update since October..... I know AVID doesn't charge a fee for using EuCon, I guess the installed base is just not that big. Digi and Motu go way back before Avid bought them.. Anyone besides me old enough to remember when DP WAS the software for the Digidesign hardware?

ok, off to the dentist for a root canal. Really ;-( if you have specific questions ask away and I'll answer when I can.
Hey thanks so much for this!

Especially the look at CPU usage. That was really all that was keeping me back.

I'm sold on this now.

I especially like that, unlike the whole Mackie/HUI/MCU thing, you can evidently set eight custom fader setups for it in the Eucon software.

Thanks again!
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

you can assign one or as many as 8 faders to a channel in particular. for me having one as the master all the time is useful during tracking. also I mix from stems, 16 channels, summed back into whatever mic pre for makeup (hint the UAD Unison preamps are amazing for this) and having 8 stereo Busses always up is awesome.

I do wish some of the Pro Tools functionality was there. Hopefully the next DP update adds some features.

btw I'm using the 19.12 EuCon software released yesterday
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mrgkeys wrote:you can assign one or as many as 8 faders to a channel in particular. for me having one as the master all the time is useful during tracking. also I mix from stems, 16 channels, summed back into whatever mic pre for makeup (hint the UAD Unison preamps are amazing for this) and having 8 stereo Busses always up is awesome.

I do wish some of the Pro Tools functionality was there. Hopefully the next DP update adds some features.

btw I'm using the 19.12 EuCon software released yesterday
Totally cool!

That is exactly what I am thinking about. A preset for busses. A preset for reverb returns. And most importantly, a preset for the current fader in use, along with whatever else would make sense with that. I need to think about that.

Thanks so much again for your help, replies, kindly sharing this info, and research!
Saxplayerz

Post by Saxplayerz »

Did they ever fix the meters issue in dp with artist mix?
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

No, but there are meters in PT, so it has to be an implementation problem in DP. For me it works enough bouncing back and forth between PT and DP. I wish that Eucon was integrated deeper in DP. So much better than an HUI or MCU for my purposes and the ethernet setup is easy. I'm happy with my Artist Mix.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I keep looking at the Artist Mix and the S3.

Also the Faderport 16, but they didn't put individual pan knobs on it???