ISO QuickTime 7 Pro alternative

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ISO QuickTime 7 Pro alternative

Post by dix »

With the demise of Quicktime 7 Pro in Catalina I am looking for an alternative. I can't imagine a world without it! Virtually every project I've worked on for the last 10 years or so has gone through QT7 Pro at some point. The main things I use it for:

- Stripping and adding new audio to movies
- Exporting movies as .m4v. QT7 Pro's 'Export for Web' creates videos with AAC encoded audio is perfect for submitting as demos to clients and for YouTube etc.
- Basic edits. Such as adding a frame of black at the end of a movie, adding or deleting sections of movies etc to facilitate creating files for scoring.
- Creating multichannel QT documents. QT7 Pro allows you to assign 5.1 files etc. to any output of an I/O

Of course QT7 Pro does a TON more than this and (very importantly) launches as fast as opening a Finder window. I'm sure various video apps can do some of these operations (though I can find none that do all of them), but I'd like to avoid a large robust app designed for something entirely different than what I need it for. QT7 Pro is exactly what I need. No more no less. Is there a basic app out there that can replace it? Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Re: ISO QuickTime 7 Pro alternative

Post by bayswater »

Same question here. This is one of the reasons Catalina is not my startup partition. I've been wondering if someone is going to come up with a wrapper that lets us keep using these applications. As I understand it, you can use one of the VM applications to set up sessions that will run the older 32 bit apps. Parallels is the one everyone knows about, and I've read that this works with Quicktime 7, but I think there are a few freeware alternatives, and maybe those work too. In the end that might be the only way
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FinalCut Pro X. I know you don't want a large app but it does all that IRRC.

You can get it for $199.99 in the Pro Apps Bundle for Education through the EDU store.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/produ ... -education

FinalCut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Main Stage 3, Compressor 4, Motion 5

After purchase, you are emailed five codes that you redeem individually in the App Store. Any code you don't use, you can email to someone else.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks Mike. Someone on VI-Control suggested ProTools, which does much of this too, and I own that. However, per my OP, this misses the point entirely and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

The 32bit shell bayswater suggests may be the best solution, but surely there's an app out there that does these things. If not, I'm guessing there will be.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dix wrote:Thanks Mike. Someone on VI-Control suggested ProTools, which does much of this too, and I own that. However, per my OP, this misses the point entirely and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

The 32bit shell bayswater suggests may be the best solution, but surely there's an app out there that does these things. If not, I'm guessing there will be.
Must there?

I’m still waiting for that app that opens old Mac/Claris Draw/Paint/AppleWorks graphics files.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Must there?

I’m still waiting for that app that opens old Mac/Claris Draw/Paint/AppleWorks graphics files.
Why not? There were people who addressed the problem of 32 bit plugins. If enough people have problems with this, I don't see why someone wouldn't make an attempt.

When I have time, I'll try out a couple of the free VM apps in Catalina. If that works, it will be good enough for me.
dix

Post by dix »

The bizarrely named ffWorks has been suggested on VI-Control. It's still a "Comprehensive Media Tool" and not the utility that our beloved QT7 Pro is. The VM apps may be a lot simpler route, but ffWorks may be worth a try.

https://www.ffworks.net
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:The bizarrely named ffWorks has been suggested on VI-Control. It's still a "Comprehensive Media Tool" and not the utility that our beloved QT7 Pro is. The VM apps may be a lot simpler route, but ffWorks may be worth a try.

https://www.ffworks.net
I didn't know that was still around. Thanks for the reminder. Notice that there isn't a simple bonary installer. You have to do some stuff to get and configure components or download the source and compile it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I think if one is serious about their video output Final Cut Pro is well worth the $$$. I also recommend iSkysoft for conversion and import of video. Of course, one might just not install Catalina... at least for now that's my plan.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I think if one is serious about their video output Final Cut Pro is well worth the $$$. I also recommend iSkysoft for conversion and import of video. Of course, one might just not install Catalina... at least for now that's my plan.
I use iSkysoft for some things that QT 7 does not support when a hurry but usually use FCPx.
dix

Post by dix »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I think if one is serious about their video output Final Cut Pro is well worth the $$$. I also recommend iSkysoft for conversion and import of video. Of course, one might just not install Catalina... at least for now that's my plan.
I am not the least bit serious about my video output :) Just need super simple stuff. I’m not convinced I’ll need Apple’s flagship video app designed for creating major motion pictures just to add a wav to an mov! I’ll check out Skysoft. Thank you.

....it’s looking like the new 16 inch MBP is the best choice for a mobile rig I need to put together. It can only run Catalina :(
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote:
Not to wander off-topic, but have you tried

http://www.eazydraw.com/appleWorks.htm

I got a 9 month license and only used it a couple times. It did work on what I tried. But the UI was a bit tricky and not-self-explanatory (as I recall).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Not to wander off-topic, but have you tried

http://www.eazydraw.com/appleWorks.htm

I got a 9 month license and only used it a couple times. It did work on what I tried. But the UI was a bit tricky and not-self-explanatory (as I recall).
I'll check it out. Thanks!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

This is bad news to me.
I won't upgrade to Catalina until I find an easy and quick alternative to add chapter markers to long videos. This is one of my very favourite QT7 Pro features, especially since you don't need to reprocess anything but only save it again as a self-contained movie.

This is CRUCIAL to me, since I rely on markers to navigate long lectures, tutorials, to easily jump to important/favourite parts, etc. Otherwise, finding and referencing stuff is not very efficient at all.

Neither iMovie 10 nor Screenflow do chapter markers (earlier iMovie versions used to, but Apple dumbed it down, as usual) :roll:

Oh, and pasting audio to movies is another feature I love.

Do we know what Apple will replace QT7 Pro with, or will they simply get rid of it and leave a big whole in that area? QT10 is scheisse...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't do video work very often, any more. But whenever I do, QT7 pro is essential for format management. I think Handbrake did some format kinds of things that are useful. But I don't know the state of that software these days.

I have QT7 as my default player for most audio & video formats. I simply don't want iTunes to play things like that. I use Fission for all mp3's now (which does some good general audio format conversion).

I'm using OS 10.13, and tend to wait until I'm forced to update. Is it getting more difficult to have multiple boot volumes for use of different OS's for different apps?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com