Switching from Mac Pro 5,1 to Windows Build with DP 10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Switching from Mac Pro 5,1 to Windows Build with DP 10

Post by Michael Canavan »

translate all AU plug ins to VST, save all settings in all plug ins as VST presets. It's a total crapshoot whether the VST in Windows will be addressed in exactly the same way on OS X, so relying on DP to be able to save the current settings on the VSTs is a long shot IMO. You will have to find out where all your VST and VSTi's save presets if they don't ask you to, then port them over. VST presets are cross platform etc.

It's a lot of work, the times I had a PC set up with Ableton Live I found it to be more trouble than it's worth.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
chrisdm1978
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Switching from Mac Pro 5,1 to Windows Build with DP 10

Post by chrisdm1978 »

Thanks for the information, that's helpful. Will keep note about zipping things for transfer. Your answer is pretty much what I figured. Almost all my plugs are 3rd party AUs, also available in VST. Really just keeping the old mac for old stuff, and starting fresh projects with PC sounds easiest. Or just staying mac haha. The 16" MBP with 64GB ram is tempting. Wonder how the thermals will hold up. For scoring should probably stay desktop though.

Cheers.
16 inch MacBook Pro, M3 Max, 64GB, 4TB.

http://www.chrismcintyre.ca