How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Post by papageno »

UPDATED DEC. 19 for 10.15.2

This post serves 2 puropses:
[1] guide people how to install MOTU legacy audio interface drivers to Catalina;
[2] warn people to not make some stupidity as I did. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

I have MacBook Pro 11,3 and Motu UltraLite mk3 Firewire (only) audio interface which is connected to Apple Thunderbolt2 > Firewire adapter dongle. I updated to Catalina and the interface kept working. It was visible by MacOS and also all apps that use audio output (DP, Bidule, Pianotek etc.). All was fine and I was happy.
I also had Motu ProAudio driver installed and I started to investigate what is behind the 'magic' that my interface still works (except 32-bit apps like CueMix which I just trashed from Applications folder).

Does my legacy FW Interface work because:
[1] somehow the new pro audio installer supports my interface despite it is not listed (MOTUProAudio.kext)
[2] the old MotuFireWireAudio.kext is 64-bit and works with Catalina.
Both of these Extensions are located in /Library/Extensions/ folder.

So I went ahead and removed MOTUProAudio.kext manyally. Reboot. Ultralite mk3 shows up. GREAT!
AND NOW THE STUPID PART: I went ahead and removed MOTUFireWireAudio.kext. Reboot. My interface was gone!

Therefore: the reason my UltraLite mk3 kept workin was- the kernel extension was compatible with Catalina. MotuFireWireAudio.kext is 64-bit! My extra embarassment is that I could have just read it from Mac System Report > Extensions

But... how to get it back? Took me 30 minutes to swim out from the sea of troubles I managed create myself.
Copying the MotuFireWireAudio.kext back to /Library/Extensions/ did not work. Even with changing the permissions and ownership to required parameters in Terminal app. I needed to install MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (73220).pkg in MacOS 10.15.1!
When you double click the installer, it exits with 'incompatible MacOS version' dialog.

HERE IS A GUIDE TO INSTALL LEGACY INTERFACE SUPPORT TO CATALINA, PROCEED WITH CAUTION
Please do not blame me if you completely mess up your system. I was desperate to get my interface back and all my files are always backed up automatically and in multiple locations, versiones. I had no fear of losing my work.

First- needed files
1) Download MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (73220) https://motu.com/download
2) Download Pacifist for MAC https://www.charlessoft.com

Instructions:

First you need to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection) and leave it disabled.

1) Reboot to Recovery Mode (holding commant-R while booting up)
2) select "Terminal" from menu
3) Type

Code: Select all

csrutil disable
followed by enter key
4) Reboot to normal mode

5) Open Terminal.app and mount the root volume read/write. Not doing this step will result in Pacifist not being able to write necessary extensions. NB! After reboot this setting is reversed to default by MacOS so no need to 'UNDO' this.
The terminal command is:
sudo mount -uw /

6) Open Pacifist, wait for the shareware screen to countdown 15 seconds and click it away. Select 'Open Package' and open 'MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (73220).pkg' you downloaded.

7) Select necessary package from list. I did select a package specific to my UltraLite.

8) Click install and make sure that 'Use Administrator Privileges' is checked.

Reboot your mac and enjoy your new (old) interface in MacOS Catalina!

Last edited by papageno on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
+372 56222285
papageno

Re: How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Post by papageno »

Luckily one can trash all Motu-Installed 32-bit apps from /Applications folder.
Apple Audio/MIDI Setup app lets you to select sample rate, sync source, inputs/outputs etc.
This is necessary for some apps that do not have interface control preferences selectable in-App.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

IF you have Time Machine enabled and IF you have only one Mac OS Installed on your System/Boot drive, you can install, uninstall, play, experiment all you want knowing that you can completely restore your drive to an earlier state (Within the last 24 hours) in a few minutes no matter how badly you mess up.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64689

Welcome to my world.

Now to try this with my 828mkII

Thanks for posting this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
papageno

Post by papageno »

mikehalloran wrote:IF you have Time Machine enabled and IF you have only one Mac OS Installed on your System/Boot drive, you can install, uninstall, play, experiment all you want knowing that you can completely restore your drive to an earlier state (Within the last 24 hours) in a few minutes no matter how badly you mess up.
Thanks. TimeMachine as apparently gotten much better since I last used it (was around 1950 I guess). I am currently backing up just personal files to a local Synology DiskStation, which keeps versioned backups and has RAID1 setup. My Synology DS also spreads encrypted backups to off-site Synology station and to Google Drive. Maybe I will think about time machine again. The downside is that I need to duplicate it with other system because I need my files accessible from wherever I am. That was one reason I stopped the TM.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There should be no conflict. To use APFS Snapshots, you need TM enabled but you don't have to have a backup volume selected. The Snapshots are stored on your boot drive as space permits up to the last 24 hours.

When the other choice is a complete restore (around 8 hours for a 2TB System drive), being able to accomplish the same thing in 2–3 minutes seems to be a miracle. As I posted in the other thread, I discovered this quite by accident.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mothra

Post by mothra »

It would've worked earlier on when you copied the extension back but there's more to it than simply copying the file over. The 'cache' needs to be rebuilt as well as the permissions set, although I THINK a reboot should've taken care of that.

I have an app called Kext Utility that does it, I needed to use this to install a hacked HDMI Audio driver when Mojave was first released and audio didn't work over HDMI with all these fancy $200+ graphics cards Apple told us all to run out and buy so we could use the new OS..
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
papageno

Post by papageno »

mothra wrote:It would've worked earlier on when you copied the extension back but there's more to it than simply copying the file over. The 'cache' needs to be rebuilt as well as the permissions set, although I THINK a reboot should've taken care of that.
I left that bit out. I started indeed with rebuilding kext cache and rebooting (tried even a few times). When it did not help I turned to Pacifist. That worked.
+372 56222285
OctoUser
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by OctoUser »

Thanks papgeno.
Very informative!

I do hope that MOTU include 828 mk 3 FW or can one make use of the hybrid drivers? I wonder?

//Boris
Last edited by OctoUser on Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maddcow

Post by Maddcow »

No way!!! I've ordered a new MacBook Pro 16" (because my old machine was starting to struggle a bit) AND an RME UFX+ because I thought my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 (FW only) wouldn't work with the new MBP, which will only run Catalina. I'd researched and researched and researched the possibility of using my trusty, reliable Ultralite with Catalina and had given up. I could have bought a new MOTU but my thinking was that if I'm buying a new interface, I might as well get something that's a bit more future-proof than the current MOTU offerings (i.e. the UFX+ has both Thunderbolt and USB 3, unlike any of the current MOTU devices).

Thank you Papageno for posting this info! I might be able to cancel my UFX+ order and save some dollars for now.
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Mac OS 10.12.6, MOTU Ultralite Mk 3
Maddcow

Post by Maddcow »

Well, this hack worked perfectly on my external HDD install of Catalina. My new MBP 16" will arrive on Thursday and I'll do the same with it.

What really annoys me is that MOTU has discontinued support for the Ultralite Mk3 (FW) from Mojave when the OS clearly supports it....except for CueMix FX etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Maddcow wrote:...(i.e. the UFX+ has both Thunderbolt and USB 3, unlike any of the current MOTU devices)...
Really?

https://motu.com/products/avb/624

https://motu.com/products/avb/8a
fuzzylogic

Post by fuzzylogic »

Anyone tried this with an 828 mk3 Firewire? I could really do with another few months of mine, need to sell some old equipment before I can upgrade to an ES (or whatever).
Maddcow

Post by Maddcow »

mikehalloran wrote:
Maddcow wrote:...(i.e. the UFX+ has both Thunderbolt and USB 3, unlike any of the current MOTU devices)...
Really?

Yeah, sorry about that. I meant to say "unlike any of the current MOTU devices AND that meet my needs in terms of I/O". I seriously considered the 624 and 8A but they don't have enough XLR/combo inputs for my needs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Maddcow wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Really?

Yeah, sorry about that. I meant to say "unlike any of the current MOTU devices AND that meet my needs in terms of I/O". I seriously considered the 624 and 8A but they don't have enough XLR/combo inputs for my needs.
Yea, I decided those weren’t right for me either. Waiting to see what gets released at NAMM before deciding on a desktop interface.
Motunator

Post by Motunator »

Hey thanks for explaining the issue so well. Now will this also work for an MOTU 828MK2 USB interface?